Stone Glacier Bought Out

morley.tyler

Another M&A of an independent gear developer/manufacturer. I'm glad the guys got their payday, but I always cringe a little bit when these things happen.

"Vista Outdoor, Inc. announced the acquisition of Stone Glacier, a maker of lightweight, performance hunting gear designed for backcountry use."

If I ever bought another pack it was going to be an SG. Maybe they will be the exception in how this works out, but if it works like most other acquisitions I doubt it will be the same.

To start a company and take it to exit is a wonderful thing. A great little slice of the American Dream. An idea, a shitload of determination, and some luck. Congrats to them. I got to meet Jeff when when he coordinated a gear drive for the victims of the Camp Fire in Paradise CA. Great guy and it was a great even giving out thousands of items of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear to folks that lost everything.

Could Vista change things for us as a consumer? Sure, but to me, this isn't about us.

Good for the owners, but a sad end to SG story. All too common end for small, specialized manufacturers. They either sell the brand to a larger company with better manufacturing and logistics or sell to Private equity. A lot of the time the founders didnt set the company up for life without them. There was no other way for them to cash out. Not sure what the case was here.

I am happy for my buddy, Jeff. He is one of the nicest and most pleasurable guys in the business. He and Lyle are generous with their time and the benefit of their brand to other causes.
Ive dealt with Ryan (who is a fuking riot, big personality) and Andrew. Good guys, well made product. Vista Outdoors I believe is the old Remington crap that got pieced out and Federal Ammo picked them up in the bankruptcy.

I sure hope they don't start making them in China. So tired of chinese crap filling up our landfills. We should put a special tax own all this chinese crap to pay for the extra environmental costs. I won't ever buy anything from Cabelas after BassPro and Johnnie Morris bought them. I was a customer for 30+ years. BassPro closed down the 2000+ employees in their Nebraska headqtrs just before Christmas 2 or 3 years. What does BasPro sell? A bunch of chinese crap to the weekend warrior. No thanks. I had a Cabelas credit card for 20+ years. First thing BP does is sell off the Credit card operations to Capital One. Another sht outfit. But after downsizing 2000 employees of Xmas, BP finds the money to send a plane-full of supplies to the "Poor" Bahamas for hurricane aid. These are the fckers that are so corrupt and charge U.S. fisherman $6-7 a gallon for gas, when gas was $2-2.5 here. No thanks. I want to set the record straight, we don't have capitalism, we have crony capitalism. Period. Crooked Dumbs, but just as crooked Repubs.

Last edited:
I really don’t think you will see vista make much change. They haven’t messed with the products of a bunch of the companies they own

Living in northern idaho where a ton of people work at cci/Speer I bet I’ll start seeing a ton of people suddenly using stone glacier stuff. I’m also betting the local resale market will be really good as typical atv hunter guy buys a pack or two and realizes he has no use for it

Back