Stone Glacier Bought Out

I think you have to be careful defining dreams for other people. For some people selling out at a profit might not necessarily been the original goal however circumstances change and its sure nice option when the right deal is on the table. for other people their dream never allows it to be a palatable idea. And that's OK to. The great thing is we will get to have our own path to happiness

Good for Kurt and Jeff. I kind of wondered when the day would come. They've done a great job designing products.

Were there any tears with Sitka gear sold out?
Didn't Sitka get bought by a large supplier in Gore Companies (not sure the exact name and too lazy to look it up)? That seems different than being bought by public co that is simply amassing brands at breakneck speed because debt is cheap. But to answer to your question- Nope.

I remember seeing SG pants at Scheels a few weeks ago and thinking to myself “won’t be long now and SG won’t be considered cool anymore.” That moment came even sooner than I thought it would.

So in your world there's amazon and... walmart?

More my world...
1640726035854.png

Not sure what the owners of SG will do... but selling allows them to be creative and start the next thing. Maybe Kurt starts a new brand and the hunting community gets a new awesome tent company or boots or...

Selling also doesn't mean quality has to take a hit.

More my world...
View attachment 206934

Not sure what the owners of SG will do... but selling allows them to be creative and start the next thing. Maybe Kurt starts a new brand and the hunting community gets a new awesome tent company or boots or...

Selling also doesn't mean quality has to take a hit.
My argument was if the entire point of starting a business is to sell it, then you end up with Walmart and Amazon, or maybe just one of them eventually. Once you get enough market consolidation, then they can literally drive the rest of the market out of business. This was the philosophy that killed main street USA. Does it work in drilling, maybe, I have no idea. Does it work in tech, you could probably argue that both ways, I mean we have such a large amount innovation that wouldn't ever become mainstream without being purchased by larger to companies, but you also end up with Windows or Apple. You end up with Android or Apple, there aren't really any other (or many other) actual choices in a market dominated by just a few giant players.

My argument was if the entire point of starting a business is to sell it, then you end up with Walmart and Amazon, or maybe just one of them eventually. Once you get enough market consolidation, then they can literally drive the rest of the market out of business. This was the philosophy that killed main street USA. Does it work in drilling, maybe, I have no idea. Does it work in tech, you could probably argue that both ways, I mean we have such a large amount innovation that wouldn't ever become mainstream without being purchased by larger to companies, but you also end up with Windows or Apple. You end up with Android or Apple, there aren't really any other (or many other) actual choices in a market dominated by just a few giant players.
When Kurt and Jeff sell to Vista they don't get taken out back and shot.

Sitka -> Kuiu
Dana Designs -> Mystery Ranch
Mountainsmith -> Kifaru

IMHO after a while all companies get stagnant and become less innovative. Selling allows, founders to capitalize on the reputation of a brand, company survives or perishes based on how Walmart et al. they run it. Selling allows the founder/ers or founding team to do something else.

Someone might start a company in their garage, build it up and then sell it for 20 million. The next company they start with 20MM of capital + experience + reputation to get investors. This allows them to build something faster and better.

The Walmart v. Amazon is a monopoly legal issue in my mind, which is a totally separate issue.

OG is actually a great example... definitely not a monopoly, several big players in every basin good competition from private and public companies... but it was all Standard Oil at one point... then Teddy Roosevelt happened, now we have Exxon, Conoco, Chevron, Sunoco, Phillips 66, Marathon, and Sohio and Amaoco which are now part of BP.

TLDR pro entrepreneur & anti-monopoly.

There will be no changes to the management team. Kurt and Jeff are fully committed to growing the business and we’re going to partner with them. Kurt is the chief product officer and chief design officer. He’s got his thumbprint on every new product they make. Jeff essentially runs the company. They’re going to stay in Bozeman. In fact, we’re going to open a brand new facility within the next six months, a much bigger facility which will give them a retail footprint and bigger warehouse space. And in the fast-growing area of Bozeman, they’ll be one of the employers of choice.

Cash purchase LOL.

The Walmart v. Amazon is a monopoly legal issue in my mind, which is a totally separate issue.

OG is actually a great example... definitely not a monopoly, several big players in every basin good competition from private and public companies... but it was all Standard Oil at one point... then Teddy Roosevelt happened, now we have Exxon, Conoco, Chevron, Sunoco, Phillips 66, Marathon, and Sohio and Amaoco which are now part of BP.

TLDR pro entrepreneur & anti-monopoly.
Take a step back, you are literally arguing for polar opposites. Advocating for consolidation (someone has to be the buyer) while trying to say that's good for startups.

Take a peak at the auto industry. How has consolidation helped innovation? Until Telsa there hadn't been a new automaker in how many decades; generations?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back