Stock rescue complete

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

My factory Winchester stock was in need of some help. I had a crack in the stock that ran through the front action screw hole, and the finish was looking a little rough. So, I did the following

1) Fashioned an internal crossbolt and epoxied it into the wood between the recoil lug recess and the front action screw hole.

2) Installed aluminum pillars.

3) Used Devcon to bed the entire action.

4) Stripped factory finish and resanded.

5) Cut 1" off the stock.

6) Repointed the factory "checkering" (if you would call it that).

7) Refinished using Permalyn. I did a grain filler technique using Bone Black, which is a charcoal powder. You can see in the photos how it puts some really nice black highlights into the wood. If your stock is blase, this is a good way to make it look a little sharper.

I will let it cure for a week and then polish out using Linseed oil and Rottenstone. After that, I need to do some finish sanding on the recoil pad. I also have a metal grip cap that I am polishing and will have blued. This will replace the crappy plastic grip cap. Last step will be to either shorten the barrel and recrown after I check the balance point, or simply recrown the barrel.

Attachments

• Gunstock 001.jpg
    Gunstock 001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Gunstock 002.jpg
    Gunstock 002.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Gunstock 003.jpg
    Gunstock 003.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,023
  • Gunstock 004.jpg
    Gunstock 004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • Gunstock 011.jpg
    Gunstock 011.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Gunstock 009.jpg
    Gunstock 009.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Gunstock 005.jpg
    Gunstock 005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • Gunstock 007.jpg
    Gunstock 007.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,015
Last edited by a moderator:
Some thoughts on this process:

1) Bedding is very easy. Here is a link to the article I referenced. Go slow, use plenty of release agent and do a couple of dry runs. Use PLENTY of mud. I shorted myself and had to go back and refill some air pockets. This is a royal PITA and caused me a lot of stress. Use a lot of mud the first time and do it once. A lot of the instructions called for a multi step process for pillars, action, and recoil lug. It is very simple to do it in one shot.

http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

2) Repointing the checkering is easy, take your time. It will really make a significant difference in the end quality.

3) If you do the Bone Black technique, do it somewhere that you don't mind a hell of a mess. Not the kitchen table!

I like Permalyn and have had some great results as well. The Bone Black filler is a good idea I might have to give that a try. How many coats did you end up with? I always buy the super grade cap for like $12 from Winchester parts and chuck the puck.

I think I did about 10 coats of Permalyn. I used the sealer only. The first two coats were cut 1:1 with mineral spirits, then full strength after that.

Looks good. I bedded my new rem 700 with Devcon a month ago. First time using it and will use again.

You use the steel putty?

Looks good. I bedded my new rem 700 with Devcon a month ago. First time using it and will use again.

You use the steel putty?

Yes. I liked it to work with UNTIL it came time to fill the air pockets. Then the thickness was an issue.

very nice!

I'm in the middle of a similar process for my 721.

I hadn't heard of the Miles Gilbert Bone Black filler. Looks great!

You did a really nice job, how many coats of the bone black did you have to do?

I think I did four coats. The first batch I mixed I got a little thin in consistency, so I did an extra coat just to make sure I had the grain filled. I ended up mixing about 1 Tbsp Bone Black to 1 Tbsp Rottenstone, then adding about 1 Tbsp of finish. After mixing, I added a little more Rottenstone to get the right consistency.

After you let it dry you take 320 grit and wet sand the wood. When you get done it will look like you have a piece of driftwood as it's really gray in color.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Operation Dress Up will be coming soon for the Beretta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very well done. Someday, I need to strip down and refinish the stock on my 30-06. But, I kinda like the character marks too...

Yes. I liked it to work with UNTIL it came time to fill the air pockets. Then the thickness was an issue.

Yep. Great that it doesn't run everywhere but it is like peanut butter to work with.

That 6mmbr article was one I read before using Devcon and he is spot on about the kiwi shoe polish, no problems getting mine out.

Yep. Great that it doesn't run everywhere but it is like peanut butter to work with.

That 6mmbr article was one I read before using Devcon and he is spot on about the kiwi shoe polish, no problems getting mine out.

Mine was VERY tight getting it out. I took a rubber mallet to persuade it a little bit.

As the last step in this process, I had the barrel shortened to 22" and a new crown cut. I was somewhat nervous that all of the time and money would be for naught.

I went out and played with some loads yesterday, and was quite pleased with the results.

Model 70 reloads.jpg

.63" for a four shot group at 100 yards. Good enough for government work.

Back