Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Still Shaking!

POk3s

Well, I drew a great deer tag for Wyoming. I had 4 days under my belt of scouting and had found an area with exceptional deer numbers, and more importantly buck numbers. I was going to focus my efforts there as I just knew it held "the one" besides the fact I hadn't seen anything I would call BIG yet. Biggest buck I had found was a 3x4 that wasn't that wide but had more horn growth then any other buck I had seen, and since it was early July I was going to keep tabs on him to see how much he had grown.

This past weekend I went up for a camping trip but would wake up early every morning and scout. On Monday I went back into town for a shower and to watch the home run derby. I hit the road to my camping spot right at dusk and spotted a good buck silhouetted against the sunset (wish I had a good camera). I knew he was bigger then anything else I had seen but couldn't be sure as I had left my binoculars and spotting scope with my dad that evening so he could use them.

Plans the next morning were to head back in the canyon I was hoping they went into and find that buck. Took me until about 8:00 but I finally found him and his buddies. I was marveling over finally seeing something with some defined forks instead of just seeing bucks where their forks were just starting to form. I actually spotted him about 150 yards away but he took his buddies to the top of a ridge where I got some pictures. They settled down and started feeding again allowing me to watch them for a long time.

I had thoughts of turning around and leaving these bucks alone as I didn't want to spook the big guy. I thought it over for a while and then said, "screw it they already know I'm here and I might as well see what else this canyon has to offer". I drove about 200 more yards when I saw more deer. I thought "wow this little spot holds a lot of deer." I put up the binoculars just long enough to see two of the biggest bucks I had ever seen staring at me, and then take off straight away which sent me into convulsions. Just like the other deer, they stopped at the top of the canyon and looked down at me. Two of the three are absolute studs. The wide buck never gave me a look at his forks but it almost looks like he's got something funny going on, on his right side. And the other buck has awesome front forks already with sub par backs but he's still really tall and fairly wide. With it only being July 10th I can't wait to see what these bucks turn into!

bigbuckmulies.jpg

bigbucksinrocks.jpg

That can't be Wy.We all know there aren't any good bucks in Wy,lol
Looks like your in good shape for the season.are you going to bowhunt them at all??

Thanks MontanaWild, and Big Slick the first 10 pics or so that I took are nothing but a blur because I couldn't hold still enough. After a few minutes of watching them I finally was able to get some good pics. Pretty good considering those are phone pics through the spotting scope :)

mixedbag, yes I'll be bowhunting them. I honestly didn't have any plans to deer hunt this year until the draw results came out. Last year I was extremely discouraged in an area that my family has been deer hunting for upwards of 40 years now. A bunch of "new guys" entered the area and made four wheeler trails on every game trail, cattle trail, and ridge line. I was dumbfounded and didn't have any plans on going back. Was just going to hunt elk and if I saw a good buck while I had bow in hand I would take off after it. The first two weekends (hopefully extended weekends) will consist of bowhunting mulies. From mid September till the end of September I will be in the elk woods. Even with this premier deer tag, there's no way I'm passing up bugling bulls in September if my tag is unfilled by September 15th :)

Awesome looking group of bucks! Good luck & I'll be watching for some close-up photos in September, I'm sure you'll be grinning big if you're holding one of those.

Been scouring google earth off and on all day looking at other secluded canyons close by in case they disappear......scratch that WHEN they disappear. They didn't get that big on accident.

They are creatures of habit. Hopefully they will be doing the same old thing come opening day. Good Luck!

Hope so sweetnectar. Gonna be 2 months of endless searching. Hopefully it's fun and not heartbreak!

Sounds like you need to sit up on top of the rock outcrop and wait for someone to push them up to you.

Good luck, can't wait to see the trophy pose(no long arms needed!!).

I'd let them go another year or two. Trent, just let me know the unit and by the time I draw, they'll be ready to harvest :) LOL

Exciting times ahead of you! Best of luck with your quest.

Those are some great looking bucks. You can go to www.tinesup.com and order a Cannon digital camera that has a cup bonded to it that will fit over your eye piece of your spotting scope. Or you can do it the cheap Redneck way like it did and buy a Sony from Walmart for 100 bucks. Then take your spotting scope into your local hardware store and find a pvc coupler that almost fits over the eyepiece. Take it home and grind it out with a dremel tool until it fits. You want it to be a tight fit. I've made several videos this year already. It makes better videos than it takes pictures. Good luck with those bucks.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 603
oops forgot the most important part. Make sure your camera will zoom in and out before you bond the coupler onto the camera.

Thanks for the tip worm. And Wheeler.....shut it. If you ever draw the tag I'll scout for you....for a small fee of course :)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back