Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Spotting scope reviews

T Bone

Looking for opinions of personal experience with scopes. I am looking at 50-60 mm objectives for zooming in for more detail on critters way out there. Please share both good and bad.

T-Bone, as long as you stick with quality optiks, you should be just fine. I've had excellent performance from B&L, Nikon, Leica, and Seeadler. Naturally, the better it gets, the more expensive it is. About the best compromise I've found between price and performance are Nikon and Seeadler.

:cool:

I too have been thinking of getting one but I need one that is packable. What about Leopold or Burris? Anyone have any thought on them?

Anything is backpackable!!! I'd love to drop some money on a Swaro or Leica scope but can't stretch the funds that far. I'm fine with settling with something in the middle. Maybe Nikon, Pentax, Kowa, B & L, or Leupold. In the middle range I'v noticed some optics are very mediocre and some are much better.

Of the ones I've looked through so far:

I have looked through the Leupold Gold Ring compact 10-20 x40 mm. Its tiny and light and clear and bright. But I want a little more poop. Looking for top end magnification in the 30 -40 range so I can count rings on those rams!

The Leupold wind river Sequoia wasn't impressive to me. Eye relief was extremely limited.

At a camera shop I looked through a Kowa 20-40x50. I liked it alot. Very clear and bright, and lightweight. I wasn't sure about the weather resistance and ruggedness......

I'll keep trolling around.

More reviews anyone?

T- Bone. Have you looked at the new Leupold gold ring 15x30x50?? I have researcherd this one some and looks to be pretty good. Small enough to use without a tripod, very packable and a leupold. I am in between this one and the Nikon xl spotter but leaning more towards the Leupold. Hope this helps

Bushnell Spacemaster 15x45-60mm. This scope a present from the wife several years ago and I'm still satisfied with it. Used on a regular basis and hauled all over the country. Good clarity and eye relief with fair light collecting quality. Can judge the spurs on a gobbler at 400 yds, but at 45X and deep dusk it is difficult to see the points of a bucks rack at same distance. This scope is a little heavy.

Buriss Compact 12x24-50. This scope came with the Burris rifle scope offer this summer. Light and small are the good features. The clarity is fair with focus adjustment touchy and depth of field shallow. Light collecting quality is fair minus. Eye relief is poor. Yes, it is a useable field scope, but better scopes can be found in the same price range.

For the price, I like the Nikon XL. Also, check out Minox, they're a subsidiary of Leica. I saw some screaming deals on their spotters ealier this year.

I've got a Kowa TSN822, which is their 82mm objective scope. The quality of the optics is good, but I dropped the scope and cracked the synthetic case. It cost me $160 to have that replaced. The point: I'm not sure how durable the smaller scopes are (not sure if the construction is the same as the bigger scopes).

I've looked through Burris' Signature series (18-45x60) spotter and really liked it, although I didn't use it for extensive glassing. I wouldn't bother with their Landmark scopes, as their own website says "not completely waterproof or fogproof".

Nikon scopes are nice as well, although I haven't spent a lot of time actually using one. I think the XL sounds like a good choice, though.

Oak

I have been using the Nikon Feild Scope III ED 60mm for about 7 years now and I love it. I got mine the year before they changed them to include the sunshade and the waterproofing. I wish I would have waited but I have never had a problem either. It has been saddle packed on Elk, deer, and moose hunts all of those years pluss has been on several Antelope hunts bouncing around on a trucks window. It is deffinatly tough! If your going to be serious about long durations of using your spotter I highly recommend stepping up to an ED (Extra low dispersion glass) model no matter the make. The finer quality and clarity will make it far easier on your eyes and will reduce the possible headaches. An added bonus is also better color deffinition. I use a 20X wide angle eyepeice for early morning late evening low light situations and the included 20-45x eyepeice the rest of the time. I have a set of Zeiss binoculars I use for basic spotting the rest of the time.

When I got mine I researched for 10 month trying to find the right one. I first bought a B&L Elite 80mm ED and hated it, it had a white out effect when looking through it. clear as can be but everything looked white. I sent it back. Thats when I got serious about researching. Like you I could not afford or better yet did not want to spend the $$$$ on Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss. After much looking I narrowd it down to the Kowa and Nikon. after comparing the 2 side by side there was no comparison, the Nikon was superior in all ways cept $. For what it is worth, I think the $$ I spent on the spotter was some of the best $$ ever spent on hunting equipment.

I've got the Nikon RT edition in 15-45x60...and I love it. Came with the optional padded nylon jacket.....got a heck of a deal on it off of Ebay

I wouldn't mind stepping up to the 20-60x80 though.....it would be nice to be able to afford both....

Took a couple of scopes for a test drive yesterday....

B&L Elite 15-45 x 60. compact, light, armoured, lifetime warranty, and good optics. I like this one for the $400 price

Nikon 15-45 x60 Real Tree edition. Optics are comparable with the B&L. But its heavier and larger. Not waterproof. Good scope for the price.

Alpen 15-45 x60. Poor optics.

Leupold 15-45 x60 compact. I love this scope. The $800 tag is over my limit. Wish I wouldn't have even looked through it.

Swaro 15-45 x 65. Ditto the Leupold, except this one is $1100.

Sightron SII 15-45 x 63. Nice scope and good optics for $350.0 Too big and heavy for serious backpacking.

Not ready to pull the trigger yet, but right now I like the B&L elite.

Tbone,

I have the leupold 15-45x60 that you looked at, and I really like mine. My buddy Doug sold a swaro for the leupold and hasnt regretted it at all, mainly a weight issue not a quality issue.

I think that particular scope is about the best going for weight, optics, size, and durability, you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope.

As to the price...I'd bite the bullet and get what you'll be the most happy with. If you buy the right scope, you'll never need to buy another. I've given up on trying to save a couple hundred on important gear...in particular binos and spotting scopes. Good glass is worth every single penny. I glass better and more with optics that dont strain my eyes.

If I had to make a choice between an inexpensive rifle and quality glass or inexpensive glass and a quality rifle...there isnt even a choice. You'll use your glass way more than you'll ever use your rifle...

Buzz I think you're correct. I should wait until I can get what I really want. I love having good binoculars. I spend much more time behind them and in turn spot more game.

The scope purchase may have to wait since all my funds are going into an AK moose hunt only 10 months away. Most of the time my 10x50 binos give me enough to work off of. It's when they are a mile out and I can tell its a good animal, but I want to know HOW good........

I have the 12x40x60 Leupold--have had it at least 10 years--every year I look to replace it, but never do---it's compact--the only reason I look to replace it is for weight savings, but really nothing is really that much lighter to make the replacement smart--it's great scope--chris

This last weekend I stopped in at the SCI convention here in Reno. I didn't have much time, but in the last few years I've notice there are a lot of trophy wifes with large breasts on the arms of rich old guys........anyway

My main purpose was to park my butt in front of the optics vendors and look at scopes near the 60 mm objective.

The Leupold 12-40x60 is the benchmark IMO. Its a tough scope to beat. The same scope is now available with ED glass.

2 other scopes in the same price range are right there with the Leupold

Pentax 20-60 x 65 ED glass. On par at all levels. Didn't think there would be any practicle use for magnification over 40x

Minox 15-45 x 62 ED glass. On par with Gold ring. Overall I really liked this scope. Bearbasin optics really thinks this scope was the best in the class..... I think I'll get this one.

Went to the SCI show in Dallas last month. Ditto on the trophy wives and their girlfriend-in-laws. The only things that were more expensive were the outfitters.

noharleyyet

Is the Leupold scope you guys are referring to, the 'funky' shaped one? Looks kinda like two tubes stacked on top of eachother, if so I've used a friends and liked it MUCHO. I have a cheap BSA that is good enough for viewing from the truck window, but way to big/heavy for backpacking.

If you want a small one, Seeadler makes one that is fixed 20X, that weighs about 11 ounces. It is clear and bright with no distortion. I think the price runs about $350.

For a few more dollars, I think the best buy in spotting scopes right now is Kowa. They have some smokin' deals going..

:cool:

Attachments

• Seeadler.JPG
    Seeadler.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,271
1 Pointer. That be the one. Its a great scope.

IMO the Minox 20-45x65ED and the Pentax 20-60x65ED and the Leupold 12-45x60 are all neck to neck on optics. I could not tell any difference. They are all within one ounce of each other and within $100.

Definately a step up from the 300-400 price range.

Turns out the Minox is on its way to my house right now......:) Got a heck of a deal on the demo model.

When I checked them out, I was very impressed with the Minox ED, I think you made a good choice. Now you can head up near Ely, and look at thoses monster bulls that you will never draw a tag for !!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back