Sportsman’s Warehouse acquired by Great American Outdoors Group

Up in Fairbanks Sportsman's has historically had the best selection. I know the Bass Pro items I've purchased have not been as good and though Cabelas hasn't been as good as it historically was since the buy out it has been worse. I can only imagine that the Sportsman's stuff will follow suit.
There are a few local shops here: Frontier Outfitter, Big Rays and Three Bears (there are 4-5 in the state) but none have the same volume as Sportsman's. I'll be keeping an eye out and trying to go to Big Rays, Three Bears and Frontier as much as I can.
Otherwise I'll see what I can do with Scheels, I'll checkout Shedhorn and then I discovered BlackOvis this past year while gearing up. It'll be interesting.

This thread has got so many replies I can't read them all (almost all negative of which most of it I agree).

Cabela's is a shell of what it once was. As a business move I think it's the only way any of these large corps. will survive (at least for now). Eventually they will go the way of Sears unless they dump the retail overhead model and switch over to on-line. Customers don't want to pay for retail space. They just want to purchase a product. Paying for that retail space has just, well....put them in a place where they have to charge way too much for inferior products. It's pretty sad. Up until a few years ago I loved Cabela's. I refuse to step foot in one now. Same with
BP.

Sad to see the Sportsman's Warehouse get absorbed like Cabela's did. I attended a Scheel's store in Billings last year. Very impressive !! I hope they expand east of the Mississippi.
I was there two years ago and it's almost a sporting mall... haha! Enjoyable to visit, relax... and shop. Good selections in the departments I viewed.

This thread has got so many replies I can't read them all (almost all negative of which most of it I agree).

Cabela's is a shell of what it once was. As a business move I think it's the only way any of these large corps. will survive (at least for now). Eventually they will go the way of Sears unless they dump the retail overhead model and switch over to on-line. Customers don't want to pay for retail space.
BP.
Ironically, Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop began with a significant portion of their business being thru catalog sales. Way back in the day, I took our family WAY out of the way on a vacation to go to the Cabelas store in Sidney. They diluted the brand when they built out so many physical stores.

It should have been an easy step to go from catalog sales to internet.

Ironically, Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop began with a significant portion of their business being thru catalog sales. Way back in the day, I took our family WAY out of the way on a vacation to go to the Cabelas store in Sidney. They diluted the brand when they built out so many physical stores.

It should have been an easy step to go from catalog sales to internet.
I remember ordering out of catalogs back in the 80's

Yup, I remember buying a shotgun from Montgomery Wards and also saving up for a mini-bike and a .22 from Sears lol... ended up buying the bike at Western Auto

Yup, I remember buying a shotgun from Montgomery Wards and also saving up for a mini-bike and a .22 from Sears lol... ended up buying the bike at Western Auto
What’s crazy is that Oak and greenhorn were arguing about the best caliber to kill an elk with on this very site while Montgomery Ward was still sending out catalogs.

What’s crazy is that Oak and greenhorn were arguing about the best caliber to kill an elk with on this very site while Montgomery Ward was still sending out catalogs.

From Wikki- Montgomery Ward, a pioneering mail order and department store retailer operated between early 1872 and late 2001.

HTmembers:
@Greenhorn December 19, 2000
@Oak December 23, 2000
@MarvB April 5, 2001

lmao @wllm1313 .... you’re right, we all probably were🤣🤣

From Wikki- Montgomery Ward, a pioneering mail order and department store retailer operated between early 1872 and late 2001.

HTmembers:
@Greenhorn December 19, 2000
@Oak December 23, 2000
@MarvB April 5, 2001

lmao @wllm1313 .... you’re right, we all probably were🤣🤣

Sometime can you show me how to make the poop emoji in dos

I feel like big fin’s coup de grace just wasn’t the same ;)
4C86D79F-751A-4B5A-BBB0-06FA212300B9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a BassPro and a SW here. If we're bored and the wife wants sushi, we head to BassPro, since her favorite Sushi place is near it. Otherwise I go to SW when I need or want something, always a better selection in a much smaller store. Luckily we will have a Scheel's here in March if SW turns into another BassPro.

I once bought traps from Eddie Bauer's mail order catalog. Imagine if you walked into a Bauer store today and asked if they had any conibears.

40 years from now will some person tell an old yarn about buying ammunition at a Cabela's back in the day?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back