NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Sportsman’s Warehouse acquired by Great American Outdoors Group

All good points. The information (and product access) available on the internet certainly changes the terms of the game.

I couldn't care less about the knowledge those lazy, orange-haired millennials have. I just care that they stock better products (and full product lines) so I can actually buy something from them after I do my own research. So damn frustrating to show up to a bunch of stores that carry Leupold scopes but no spotters or binos or really liking a Sitka jacket but none of the box stores can be bothered to stock even a single size small for us appropriately sized people.

I couldn't care less about the knowledge those lazy, orange-haired millennials have. I just care that they stock better products (and full product lines) so I can actually buy something from them after I do my own research. So damn frustrating to show up to a bunch of stores that carry Leupold scopes but no spotters or binos or really liking a Sitka jacket but none of the box stores can be bothered to stock even a single size small for us appropriately sized people.

*laughs in 6'2", 260lbs*

Person A: Greet me at the door and follow me around like a servant in case I have a question
Person B: Don't greet me at the door and leave me alone.
Person C: I have done my research and know exactly what I want so you better have it in my size in the store today.
Person D: I don't know what I want so you need you to be knowledgeable about every product line that is in the store and know what will be perfect for me.
All: I want it at the cheapest price possible.

Retail is hard.

Did you hack my phone? Or perhaps I hacked yours. Those are my exact gripes with sportsmans.

I appreciate being able to go in and feel things, but they never have my size. The vortex sales model is also very frustrating. They get such a great kickback for selling vortex products that they won't even talk about anything else here.

That said, it's the best option in Southern Oregon. There are a couple of good mom and pop gun stores that I frequent, but they're lacking in everything beyond firearms. Sportsmans is the only place around with a good selection of ammunition and boots.

I hope that they can keep a good selection of technical apparel instead of rolling everything into Redhead gear.

This is a fair question. I'm old enough I remember when there were only two Cabela's stores. The staff there were very knowledgeable. I spent about an hour on the phone one day with a couple of their staff when we were gearing up for a trip to Alaska for our honeymoon. This was pre "www." days, so the expertise they provided (granted I didn't know enough to really question it) was invaluable.

Nowadays, I would agree with you in that I'm very likely to go into the store knowing pretty much what I'm looking for, and there is a very high likelihood I may know more about the product(s) than the person selling them. I still need to try them on to compare fit, finish, etc., but the staff generally aren't a source of expertise for me. For someone else, they may be.

A number of years ago I was in the Scheel's in Great Falls. This was at a time when you could actually casually browse the primer aisle, and I was doing so. I could overhear a conversation at the gun counter where guy from out of state was looking at a rifle. The conversation involved endless details about the merits of new sooper dooper short magnums , yada, yada, yada.

Surprisingly, the guy turned to me and askd me what I would choose. I told him, that based on what he was telling me, he'd be best off using the 30-06 he currently had and spending the money on a better scope and a lot of ammo to shoot out of it. Moral of the story, even a small hometown sporting goods store (this was before Scheel's moved) doesn't always provide the best and most practical advice. After all, they are trying to sell stuff.

Sportsman's Warehouse isn't evil. As a couple of folks have pointed out, they are often VERY generous donors to conservation groups. In addition, they are providing local jobs. @neffa3 brought up a great point about not every local hometown sporting goods store being a good community member. Some are.

I quit shopping at Cabela's when they dove into the trophy property real estate endeavor, and it was based solely on philosophical reasons. I doubt they GAF I quit shopping there. I tried to give them another chance, and when I walked around in the store I was completely underwhelmed by what I could try on and look at, so I quit again. In comparison, SW has always been pretty darned reliable for having the inventory I needed. The Missoula store is in a pretty convenient location as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back