Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sportsmans Warehouse and Bass Pro Terminate Merger

Damnit, I was really looking forward to all the expensive shit I can decorate my house with being more readily available. I mean nothing says I am an outdoorsman like a $20 bite of fudge.
Don't forget the ceramic statue of a racoon drinking a wine bottle, the realtree Max 4 bed sheets and the big tin sign that says "HUNTING CAMP NO GIRLS ALLOWED" or whatever catchy slogan they come up with nowadays

I mean how can you consider yourself a real outdoorsman without these essential pieces of gear

I’m glad. I prefer Sportsman’s. Cabelas went downhill when they joined Bass Pro.
That started well before the Bass Pro merger. I have several family members who were career employees in Sidney where it all started. They knew the family. The kids came in after the first generation and started screwing over the employees and messing with their retirements. Quality of cabelas brand stuff went downhill. And then they build that wannabe ugly mansion right smack dab in the middle of blue collar Sidney to stick their noses up at everybody.

Don't get me wrong, the merger made it worse. But those wheels were spinning long before that. Like a decade or more.

The rise in online shopping probably has something to do with what these stores carry in store also. I'm a lot more likely to buy duck decoys online sight unseen, for example, than I am a shirt or a pair of pants. But it is super annoying what they carry for clothing. Trying to find women's or kids brush pants, or a good pair of Western hunting boots? Good luck with that. They had to make room for the Yuppie clothes.

The rise in online shopping probably has something to do with what these stores carry in store also. I'm a lot more likely to buy duck decoys online sight unseen, for example, than I am a shirt or a pair of pants. But it is super annoying what they carry for clothing. Trying to find women's or kids brush pants, or a good pair of Western hunting boots? Good luck with that. They had to make room for the Yuppie clothes.
This. Online shopping is the home of the niche product. I've never bought First Lite in person, but I haven't bought camo in person in years...

Translation: The big box stores know the "hard-core hunters" are choosier and distribute themselves across multiple, smaller brands.

Big boxes have resorted to selling a broader outdoor "lifestyle" (read: kitschy cabin decor and cheap hunting goods) and relying on big cavernous stores full of taxidermy and other visual stimulation.

Their relative isolation from each other also lets them follow a "tourist trap" model, why they're all next to interstates I guess?

I’m glad. I prefer Sportsman’s. Cabelas went downhill when they joined Bass Pro.
Cabela's didn't join BPS, it was as close as a "hostile takeover" as a merger gets in the business world. Sad too, Cabela's had great CS and a reputation for quality products.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back