PEAX Equipment

Sportsman’s Sale - Christensen Arms 6.5 prc, 280AI or 7 rm???

If I were to replace my 7RM, it would be with a 280AI, especially if barrel was twisted for long monolithic bullets.

They’re 1:9 twist rate. What’s bullets would stabilize well. I would be doing Hammers probably.

They’re 1:9 twist rate. What’s bullets would stabilize well. I would be doing Hammers probably.
The 144gr for sure, the 155gr maybe depending on elevation. Frankly, since you get very high retention with all copper, I prefer the lighter bullets going faster than the heavier ones going slower. The 144 is what I am working up for my 280AI for pronghorn and elk.

Not that I'm trying to talk you out of it in any way, but just sure you read the fine print on those credit card offers if you're banking on that 15%. A lot of times those things either A. Don't apply to firearms or B. Are capped at a certain $ amount.

Sorry to be a downer

I’d personally own a 280AI if I could find primers. And especially that out of the three options you listed.

I received an email today… or what we may refer to as a marketing lure… Sportsman’s Warehouse has a good deal on CA Mesa’s and Ridgeline. I could apply for a credit card and get %15 off and receive a $350 gift card. I would buy rings and reloading components there hopefully, but buy a scoop from @schmalts eventually…

My families current hunting rifles are a 6.5 cm in a semi-custom Tikka Veil, and a 300 wm Kampfeld Custom. I do not want to replace either because both are sweet rifles that fit in a niche.

I figure I can sneak a cartridge between the two. I’m trying to get my step-son into hunting and the 6.5 cm is perfect for him and coyotes for me. It’s also a great deer rifle. The 300 wm is primarily for elk and up.

My brother has a 6.5 prc and loves it. The 7 is classic, while the AI is suddenly really popular. It’s ballistics and such are pretty awesome. The primary use would be deer, and black bear. After my knee heals up I dream of long hikes in the alpine and backpack hunts.

What are your thoughts? View attachment 234441
I’d go buy a Zermatt Arms Origin receiver, a criterion barrel, BixN Andy trigger and a B&C Alaskan stock in all honesty.

The B&C Alaskan is considerably cheaper than the Woox.
83096A35-2722-4EAB-9A90-01C27BAC3FAC.jpeg

(I went with the triggertech Primary)
A7266725-8A60-48BE-88E0-F712C82D33A3.jpeg

The only one of those three that is Tubed in a barrel I’m interested in is the 300 PRC.

The 1:9 .284 tubes aren’t bad, I’d just rather have 1:8. For that money, I’d assemble my own for less cabbage.

And then I’d get it in .280 Remington.

Once that tube is shot out, you can always have it cut out for .280 AI later.

Then I’d have some who shall not be named ( right @JLS ) for not giving you exclusive access to exactly what you were looking for a hard time.

Nice bottle of 12 year glenfiddich might be a good start to correct that.

Last edited:
The ability to buy good actions with screw-on barrels that are firing ready is just incredible today. Zermatt Arms isn’t the only ones. Just the one I’m familiar with.

Being able to get a rifle dialed in for exactly what you want before even assembling it for the prices they are asking I’m thinking is really putting a hurt on custom and high end production firearms.

Okay… additional question. Do I wait for the 7mm prc to come out? The ballistics are 😚. I probably do both… hmmmm…

Okay… additional question. Do I wait for the 7mm prc to come out? The ballistics are 😚. I probably do both… hmmmm…
If you're going to shoot lighter mono's (like Hammer 14_ grain) then the 7 PRC won't get you much over the AI. Remember, the point of the PRC cartridges is mostly in how much freebore the chambers have - so seating long/heavy bullets without the base of the bullet extending past the shoulder. Compare the length of the hammers vs. the 180 gr. Berger. If you don't need the freebore room for the hammers, then get the AI.

Or of course, you really want a short action.

Used to jones for a 7AI but the Mashburn checked the PITA neck sizing, fire form, and powder efficiency boxes. Of course, the .257 and 300 RUM defies efficiency logic.

Used to jones for a 7AI but the Mashburn checked the PITA neck sizing, fire form, and powder efficiency boxes. Of course, the .257 and 300 RUM defies efficiency logic.
That’s why I was hoping the 7 PRC would be a necked down .300 PRC, not a blown out 6.5.

Yes, I know 7 LRM, but that’s meant for a long action, not a full size big boy action. That .300 case, necked down to .284, with all the PRC freebore…. 🤌🏽 que magnific.

Pretty easy to convert a 7mm Remington magnum to a 375 H&H.

Back