Caribou Gear Tarp

Sportsman’s Sale - Christensen Arms 6.5 prc, 280AI or 7 rm???

Hammsolo

I received an email today… or what we may refer to as a marketing lure… Sportsman’s Warehouse has a good deal on CA Mesa’s and Ridgeline. I could apply for a credit card and get %15 off and receive a $350 gift card. I would buy rings and reloading components there hopefully, but buy a scoop from @schmalts eventually…

My families current hunting rifles are a 6.5 cm in a semi-custom Tikka Veil, and a 300 wm Kampfeld Custom. I do not want to replace either because both are sweet rifles that fit in a niche.

I figure I can sneak a cartridge between the two. I’m trying to get my step-son into hunting and the 6.5 cm is perfect for him and coyotes for me. It’s also a great deer rifle. The 300 wm is primarily for elk and up.

My brother has a 6.5 prc and loves it. The 7 is classic, while the AI is suddenly really popular. It’s ballistics and such are pretty awesome. The primary use would be deer, and black bear. After my knee heals up I dream of long hikes in the alpine and backpack hunts.

What are your thoughts? 83443418-E81B-4923-BDFD-DA2FA926DD78.png

280AI is perfect for deer to moose. And it does fairly fit in between the two you have. If you end up liking the rifle, you may not carry your 300WM again. 280AI is even better if you handload.

PS - if you get the 280AI, find a nice thread protector and lose the muzzle break. Or even better get a hunting weight suppressor. Either way, I hate muzzle breaks.

Noise level? I know the 280AI is really efficient and in turn has fairly light recoil for its performance. Oh, and “hunting weight suppressor?”

Noise level? I know the 280AI is really efficient and in turn has fairly light recoil for its performance. Oh, and “hunting weight suppressor?”
Yup - 280AI doesn't have enough recoil to justify the increased noise and muzzle flash that comes with the break in the picture. Hunting with suppressors so you can hunt hearing protection free. Some suppressor mfg make versions targeted towards hunting applications - taking advantage of the smaller volume of rounds fired and slower pace of rounds fired to make lighter suppressors than those made to live up to range-heavy workloads. For example the GEMtech Tracker.

Titanium. There's a bunch of other combos you could go with, but thats the simplest answer. If you did a fully welded design it'd shave another few ounces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back