Sports Teams / Name change

Don't be so sure. Guys with a B preceding worth can absorb big hits. I still say money will be the eventual turning point. Given that, it ain't much of a victory if it happens. Snyder's plans to build a new stadium comes into play also. Still, money. mtmuley

Without doubt, money talks. He has been getting heat over the name more or less since he bought the team. The heat keeps getting turned up, now it appears it is hot enough that it has his attention.

Announcing that you are reviewing the name is a tacit admission change is coming. I suspect he already knows what the new name will be.

It's balance sheet social conformity. Except for the ego aspect Snyder doesn't give two chits for moniker legacy.

I agree, this is a business decision. When 31 other guys with Bs (some with many more Bs than Snyder) decide you are causing them a problem things will happen - see, Clippers.
Haven't heard any other owners voice an opinion. FedEx CEO is a minority owner. Otherwise, I doubt it would concern old DS. mtmuley

Haven't heard any other owners voice an opinion. FedEx CEO is a minority owner. Otherwise, I doubt it would concern old DS. mtmuley

I know an exec of one of the east coast teams. Several owners are tired of the unnecessary noise - would prefer to move past this one - as you point out, they have Bs to manage.

So, what are some more apt names for a Washington DC based team?

The Spenders?
The Fillibusters?
The Swamprakers?
The Deficits?

Come on HT, without offending another race or picking on a specific party or candidate, we should have some clever thoughts.

If Redskins cave it will give me more time on my hands to do other things. For me it will be the final straw that will make me 100% stop watching. Heck my Chiefs won last year so good as time as any to stop watching.

The Spenders?
The Fillibusters?
The Swamprakers?
The Deficits?

Come on HT, without offending another race or picking on a specific party or candidate, we should have some clever thoughts.
Can't say what I want to happen. Don't want to get trampled. mtmuley

So why are "several" owners ready to rid the league of the Redskins name because of the unnecessary noise, and I assume it's because if the current climate. But, none would sign the individual that basically put the new social justice and racial awareness issues forefront four years ago. Change a name and all is good. Sign the player, and have to deal with unneccessary noise. VG, ask your insider about that. mtmuley

The Spenders?
The Fillibusters?
The Swamprakers?
The Deficits?

Given their record of losing,,,, I suggest the Washington Generals honoring the long suffering Harlem Globetrotters opposition.

If not the Generals,

Boondoogles?

Statesmen,,,,,,,,,,,nah that will never fly

Partisans?

Fundraisers?

Lobbyists?

That's enough from me,,,, at least for now.

So why are "several" owners ready to rid the league of the Redskins name because of the unnecessary noise, and I assume it's because if the current climate. But, none would sign the individual that basically put the new social justice and racial awareness issues forefront four years ago. Change a name and all is good. Sign the player, and have to deal with unneccessary noise. VG, ask your insider about that. mtmuley
FG turned simmer into slow boil would be my guess

I saw someone mention they thought "Kneelers" would be apropos, but then everyone would fight over the attending mascot/logo.

Arizona has more Native Nations than any other state. All my Native American friends have told me that they like the Washington mascot as it is, and see no reason to do away with it. There's a fierceness and pride seen in the individual. They don't see the name as a controversy --- they have much more important things to address for their people.

It's like everything else now --- social consciousness is being pushed by those with no direct connection with the particular issue ...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back