Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Spike Elk Decoy

Sytes

Never used one, in fact I didn't know such was available. Big on cow elk decoys.
Two cow elk decoys or a cow and spike. What would you prefer?

Screenshot_20190902-133238.png

Pros v cons?

Interesting for sure. I have never seen the spike decoy so obviously have never used one. It might depend on what your goal is and how you intend on setting up in the field. In my experience, most herd bulls pay little-to-no attention to spikes - they simply tolerate them in amongst the cows or the spikes know their place and stay outside the herd. Either way, if you want to attract a mature bull, I would think cow decoys would be better than spikes. I can see a spike decoy being attractive to other spikes if you want to pull a spike in. I think most people use calling in combination with decoys so cow calling with cow decoys is common. Perhaps you could set up a spike decoy in the vicinity of a cow decoy and piss off a herd bull that thinks the spike is getting too close to a cow. Just some thoughts. Curious what others think.

Big on cow decoys myself. It would seem a bull wouldn’t even pay attention as they are so often seen in with the cows. Maybe on Brokeback mountain.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back