Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spending Habits

I guess it is too easy for me. My wife loves to hunt, and loves guns so it isn't too hard to get what I want. I just spoil her when I can on other stuff sometimes too. Also, I quit dipping snuff about four years ago. I had about a $3000.00 a year habit. At least 2 cans of cope or kodiak a day. I wanted to quit and she wanted me to and told me that that money was still mine if I quit to do what ever I wanted to with. It has worked out nicely, better health and a lot more play money available:D

"It's a lazy man who can't find his wife a second job." I read this quote somewhere and brought it up a couple times when the Mrs. brings up the need for wanting something or needing to go somewhere. It puts it in perspective what one has to do in order to pay for such things.

Some very interesting and humorous ideas here. We do have a monthly budget/ forecast in place so maybe the allowance idea is the way to go..

I definitely keep the peace and tread lightly on these topics in the relationship, but it can be frustrating at times. I may just start pulling out $100 here and there and stashing it somewhere...whats the fair market price on a healthy kidney? :D

Three days ago was our 28th anniversary. I can't help much because I don't have your problem. My wife is not a spender and she is low maintenance. I don't spend much on gear but I do travel a lot. The good part is that she likes to travel and enjoys camping. I take her on my DIY hunts and just recently we spent 22 days in the wilderness eating instant oatmeal and MRE's, sleeping in the dirt and bathing with baby wipes. She never once complained.
Convince her to join you on some hunts and maybe she'll get hooked and you'll have a hunting partner instead of roadblock.

She fishes, but no hunting. Just doesn't have the heart to kill an animal. I understand that and don't want to push her too hard to try it out.

Glass Eye, you have a unique situation and I'm a little bit jealous - but at the same time I like my time away from the ol' lady while hunting too :)

Spill a beer on the $1000 couch and point out how much better it would have been to spill on a $500 couch instead.

She fishes, but no hunting. Just doesn't have the heart to kill an animal. I understand that and don't want to push her too hard to try it out.

Glass Eye, you have a unique situation and I'm a little bit jealous - but at the same time I like my time away from the ol' lady while hunting too :)

My wife does everything except pull the trigger.

As a perpetually single male in my early 30s it is these threads that scare me almost as much as one that involves landswaps or shoulder season. I'll probably remain forever single due to fears of floral couches I can't put my feet on, useless dishes in expensive glass cabinets, pillows on everything, and spending allowances on my money.

That extra $500 in a couch is much less than a divorce. You probably spend extra $$$ on things she does not agree with also. If you are having troubles, work on a budget together and stick by it. Good luck!

As a perpetually single male in my early 30s it is these threads that scare me almost as much as one that involves landswaps or shoulder season. I'll probably remain forever single due to fears of floral couches I can't put my feet on, useless dishes in expensive glass cabinets, pillows on everything, and spending allowances on my money.

There exists no stronger allure than the camouflaged hook.

In my house, she gets what she wants as long as I get what I want. Been happily married for 55 years.

Last edited:
Set a budget. It sucks at first, but solves almost all the money issues. Dedicate a certain amount towards spending money for each of you, then set a budget on how much you are going to spend on the couch before you go shopping. If the couch is more than the budgeted amount, then the extra comes from the spending money budget for one or both of you. Having a budget gives you permission to spend money on things you or she wants. The thing is to never question anything she has bought with her spending money.

I highly recommend a"The total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. I also just got The Financial Peace University Home Study as well. Good practical information!

Good luck!
Chuck

Offer to do the bookkeeping, taxes, and pay the bills. Help her find another part time job so she is content with her own spending money. Then all is well ... and she never looks in the gun safe anyhow.

Just curious, do most of your wives not work and also pay the bills? My wife and I both work... split all of the bills, retirement, and kids costs down the middle. Then we each have our own money to spend on whatever we want. No allowances or permission needed to buy things. Has worked well for us.

I really liked Nameless and Noharley"s replies, They know their woman!

My wife does our finances. I work weird hours and it just works better. If I make a purchase, I just ask what the bank account looks like. Works for us.

Back