Speed Kills

I listened to the Weatherby podcast a few days ago. Adam Weatherby was on and talking about ammo. He mentioned with shortages a few companies have come forward and filled that gap. Hammer was one of those. He continued to say that the engineers love the Hammer bullets and are getting great speed with tighter tolerances. It doesn’t sound like Hammer is going to disappear from the Weatherby line up.

Is it Hornady headstamped?
So outta curiosity I went to the store. I found a box of the Weatherby factory ammo loaded with 110eldx. This is the headstamp, marked Weatherby but lettering matches Hornady.
09BC4E70-9C09-4428-B682-A163742E9BD5.jpeg
The second photo is Weatherby brass. 77B392FB-C0DB-4189-B3DE-6AEEE78F9FE6.jpeg

I listened to the Weatherby podcast a few days ago. Adam Weatherby was on and talking about ammo. He mentioned with shortages a few companies have come forward and filled that gap. Hammer was one of those. He continued to say that the engineers love the Hammer bullets and are getting great speed with tighter tolerances. It doesn’t sound like Hammer is going to disappear from the Weatherby line up.
Listened to that as well thought it was interesting the one guy said he found his in a nice mushroom shape under hide. Aren’t the petals supposed to come away from the shank?

I've recovered several HH. Petals were shed on every one. Just my experience.

ETA - Agree 110% with original premise, speed kills.

So outta curiosity I went to the store. I found a box of the Weatherby factory ammo loaded with 110eldx. This is the headstamp, marked Weatherby but lettering matches Hornady.
View attachment 223153
The second photo is Weatherby brass. View attachment 223152

I would expect it to have a Wby headstamp to differentiate between Weatherby produced ammo and that from Hornady if they produce it. As an aside Weatherby likely expects that it will be single use and likely don't care much if it's reloadable x number of times. I've noticed that in these tough times the most readily available bullets in local stores are Hornady brand.

They had it figured out well before hammer was a thing.
And yet they invite the Hammer guys to talk business. mtmuley

And yet they invite the Hammer guys to talk business. mtmuley
Steve sells from all sides of his desk...and he answers the phone or calls back.

Yep. And good for Weatherby. And good for shooters. Those guys at Hammer continue to push the envelope. mtmuley
I will echo what Steve said over at LRH. I was down at Weatherby earlier this spring,Weatherby’s employees were just as what Steve observed and described. Helpful, friendly, easy to chat with, answered any questions I had. Adam even stopped and took time to chat with me. I’d have to say Roy is looking down and smiling with what Adam has done and where he’s taking Roy’s vision.

Missed this thread earlier. Very interesting. I'd like to get my hands on some Wby ammo with Hammers to give it a try. I haven't reloaded in 30 years (I realize that dates me), so I've been shooting Nosler Trophy Grade with 180gr AB, which are more accurate in my gun than the factory Wby I've shot.

Steve sells from all sides of his desk...and he answers the phone or calls back.
And, when I email him, I usually get a response in a few hours. The selfish part of me hopes that Hammer Bullets doesn’t get too big. I like this personal attention.

BTW - I got that one-on-one treatment from Swift bullets, too. After I emailed Swift a question, Bill Hober called and talked to me for about 20 minutes. Another neat guy.

I don't see these on their website, what am I missing? Searching weatherby on their site brings up .257 and .375, and nothing comes up searching 170 gr.

So hammers don’t really expand? It’s just copper? If so I wouldn’t use them to hunt.

So hammers don’t really expand? It’s just copper? If so I wouldn’t use them to hunt.
That isn’t really accurate. They behave very much like a partition. The front part expands, and if you have high velocity they will shed the pedals. If you are on the lower end of the recommended velocity they will mushroom similar to a Barnes.

Yes, they are all copper. They work just fine for hunting.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back