Speed Kills

I’ve had a couple not exit. Usually when they hit something like a shoulder labrum, or an area of really loose hide.

Happened with Barnes as well.

I developed a load for my 6.5-284 with the 129 Absolutes. I’m using a very light crimp. Not getting the velocity I was hoping for(2975fps, 21” barrel) but I do like the accuracy. I’ve taken a moose and a couple antelope with Hammers and they’ve worked as advertised.

Shot this group the other day while zeroing my rifle @ 100 with the suppressor. Low shot was the first, one on the right was the 2nd shot were I accidentally dialed right instead of left. The next 3 are the ragged hole in the middle. Later this week I’m gonna take it out to 500 to check drops. It looks promising.
9FBE28D0-51F5-4960-B896-30FC37BE6620.jpeg

I’m at 3050 fps using 123 AH with a 22” barreled Creedmoor. I don’t think your MV is that bad.

I developed a load for my 6.5-284 with the 129 Absolutes. I’m using a very light crimp. Not getting the velocity I was hoping for(2975fps, 21” barrel) but I do like the accuracy. I’ve taken a moose and a couple antelope with Hammers and they’ve worked as advertised.

Shot this group the other day while zeroing my rifle @ 100 with the suppressor. Low shot was the first, one on the right was the 2nd shot were I accidentally dialed right instead of left. The next 3 are the ragged hole in the middle. Later this week I’m gonna take it out to 500 to check drops. It looks promising.
View attachment 239291
I wouldn’t be happy with that velocity either. I would have expected something around 3100-3200

I wouldn’t be happy with that velocity either. I would have expected something around 3100-3200
What velocities have you got through the rifle with other bullets? It always amazes me which barrels shoot faster or slower. I had a Ruger MK2 338 that was a blazer. It shot 210 Barnes at over 3100 fps easily with no signs of pressure. I’ve also had nicer rifles that were slower than advertised.

I ordered a Lee FCD for my .300 PRC, it was $15 and worth the experiment to me. Guys over on the Hammer forum swear by them, over here not so much. I'm going to hunt with my 199 HH load as is (with neck tension only) this season, then test out the crimp thing this winter.

Hammers passed Weatherby's testing and are offered in their factory ammo.
I ordered a Lee FCD for my .300 PRC, it was $15 and worth the experiment to me. Guys over on the Hammer forum swear by them, over here not so much. I'm going to hunt with my 199 HH load as is (with neck tension only) this season, then test out the crimp thing this winter.
I have some crimp dies. Just haven't used them yet. mtmuley

I figure I'll do some neck tension tests as well. I've got bushings for -.002, -.003, and -.004.

Keep my OCD satiated and occupied this winter.
In my experience, I don’t think it matters much what your initial neck tension was. The rings the bullet act like an expander mandrel and set their own neck tension. That’s why the crimp is so popular on the other forum because it regulates the resistance.

In my experience, I don’t think it matters much what your initial neck tension was. The rings the bullet act like an expander mandrel and set their own neck tension. That’s why the crimp is so popular on the other forum because it regulates the resistance.
Did you crimp with your .300 Sherman? Not to dredge up an old thread, but I was actually reading that one this morning. Did you end up rechambering that to your PRC?

Did you crimp with your .300 Sherman? Not to dredge up an old thread, but I was actually reading that one this morning. Did you end up rechambering that to your PRC?
Yes, because seating depth really didn’t matter with those bullets I said it so the crimp would catch the valley in between the ribs.

Now it is a PRC and I’m shooting the 175LRX @ 3200 fps.

What velocities have you got through the rifle with other bullets? It always amazes me which barrels shoot faster or slower. I had a Ruger MK2 338 that was a blazer. It shot 210 Barnes at over 3100 fps easily with no signs of pressure. I’ve also had nicer rifles that were slower than advertised.

I haven’t personally loaded a 6.5x284 but my 6.5x47 pushes a 130 class bullet at 2910. Not that far off what his 284 is doing with the same weight bullet and an absolute at that. He’s losing a little with the 21” tube but I still would have guessed he could push it harder

Maybe could with a different powder.
So far I’ve tried RL23, IMR 4350, H4831sc and N540. Worked up to a case full of RL23 and got to 3050fps with no pressure but terrible grouping. H4831sc was way too slow. Worked up IMR 4350 to 53.5gr and hit pressure with 3025fps and 1 MOA. For this hunting season I settled on N540, which is giving me the 2975fps and 1/2 MOA.

I did recently find some RL16, H4350 and N550. Might try that after hunting season.

So far I’ve tried RL23, IMR 4350, H4831sc and N540. Worked up to a case full of RL23 and got to 3050fps with no pressure but terrible grouping. H4831sc was way too slow. Worked up IMR 4350 to 53.5gr and hit pressure with 3025fps and 1 MOA. For this hunting season I settled on N540, which is giving me the 2975fps and 1/2 MOA.

I did recently find some RL16, H4350 and N550. Might try that after hunting season.
I would try something faster.

I am using IMR 4895 in my .30-06.

If you run out of room before you hit pressure, you are using too slow of a powder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back