Speed Kills

Just ordered my first box of hammers after perusing this thread. With components becoming available again, it's time to ramp up my reloading. They better not suck
They might be playing catch up after bring in Africa. You should get them quickly though. mtmuley

But must see something in a bullet that holds together. mtmuley
So true. When got my Nosler 30 I got convinced to use Accubond long range. Big mistake. At 350 yards it blew a football size joke coming out of a cow. Ever since I switched to Barnes LRX. It’s perfect in performance. In fairness the regular Accubnd is great in my 28 Nosler. Since I like speed and lots if energy I am using Barns LRX in the laser beam. 6.5-300.

I've had good success with Barnes & Accubonds (still load em for safe dwellers)...the two rifles I use the most send Scenar and Hammer.

Had an odd thing happen with a 131 hammer out of a 7mm-08 last year on an antelope doe. Next one shot at her did just fine though. Sometimes shit happens. I’ve had accubonds do weird things too and I’d still hunt with them if I could ever find them.

Had an odd thing happen with a 131 hammer out of a 7mm-08 last year on an antelope doe. Next one shot at her did just fine though. Sometimes shit happens. I’ve had accubonds do weird things too and I’d still hunt with them if I could ever find them.
Just like the issues I had. If I can’t rely on it to do its job 100% of the time I won’t shoot it. I had odd results in 3 animals. My summary is there is just enough of a difference in the molecular copper he gets to cause random delays in opening. It seemed some open on impact and others open 6-10” late. I’ve never had a Barnes or Nosler do that. I use Barnes LRX now and have zero complaints.

Just like the issues I had. If I can’t rely on it to do its job 100% of the time I won’t shoot it. I had odd results in 3 animals. My summary is there is just enough of a difference in the molecular copper he gets to cause random delays in opening. It seemed some open on impact and others open 6-10” late. I’ve never had a Barnes or Nosler do that. I use Barnes LRX now and have zero complaints.
The one penciled through behind the shoulder. Told the wife it was a dead doe. 30 seconds later she’s still standing so I tell her to put it on her shoulder. That one did it’s thing.

I had one pencil thru a mature bull elk shoulder and lungs. Opened in off shoulder and destroyed it. It was immobilized but very much alive when we got to it 20-30 later.

Shot a mule deer buck worked perfectly.

Then cow it penciled thru the first lung and opened on the second. She died quickly as it took out her aorta.

Tested half dozen on a deer carcass and it performed excellent.

Shot another cow and she was never recovered.

Pulled them afterwards, I just lost faith in them.

I had one pencil thru a mature bull elk shoulder and lungs. Opened in off shoulder and destroyed it. It was immobilized but very much alive when we got to it 20-30 later.

Shot a mule deer buck worked perfectly.

Then cow it penciled thru the first lung and opened on the second. She died quickly as it took out her aorta.

Tested half dozen on a deer carcass and it performed excellent.

Shot another cow and she was never recovered.

Pulled them afterwards, I just lost faith in them.
This makes the hammer vs accubond choice much clearer for me this fall. I will also say that the crimp you mentioned previously kinda irritates me to get the to shoot. I seem to get anything else to shoot without a crimp.

This makes the hammer vs accubond choice much clearer for me this fall. I will also say that the crimp you mentioned previously kinda irritates me to get the to shoot. I seem to get anything else to shoot without a crimp.
I've never crimped a Hammer. mtmuley

Just ordered my first box of hammers after perusing this thread. With components becoming available again, it's time to ramp up my reloading. They better not suck
Hmmm, I'll take that as a good sign, but I've seen no evidence of components getting easier to find here... Are you finding rifle primers again?

They are pretty easy to get to shoot. They were fast and accurate, no doubt about that.

Remember I was shooting wildcats with short necks. So crimping was a necessity.

Anyone ever not get an exit hole with Hammers? My dad shot a mule deer with his 300 win mag last fall, the deer was perfectly broadside and he hit it right behind the shoulder. The deer didn't go far so no complaints there, I was just surprised there was no exit and was wondering if it was common or if that was a fluke.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back