Caribou Gear

Spare rifle for hunts

I always take an extra rifle when I am hunting more than an hour from home. I was hunting in Northern Minnesota with former inlaws. He said go sit on top of that hill. I had to cross a small creek. I could hear the water running and see snow. I stepped on the snow to find out it was a thin layer of ice. Long story short my gun went in the water. It was below zero so everything froze as soon as it hit the air. I was done for the most of the day because I had to let my gun thaw. Completely strip it down (Colt Match HBar AR15 7.62x39) and oil it. Plus getting my clothes dry. I could have been back out by noon had someone had an extra rifle. I now bring one with.

We bring spare rifles, chainsaws, sleeping bags, backpacks and tents. All have been used and saved a trip. The spare tent saved some other guys hunt when theirs collapsed and shredded under heavy snows.

If I'm hunting locally, my back-up is my pistol. (Never leave home without it). For any other hunting trip, no matter where, I have had an insurance rifle with me. In the past it's been a 308 carbine, but as of a couple days ago, it's now a 338 Fed.

I used to and on three different occasions someone else in my hunting group needed a spare. I still do from time to time but the type of trip i'm going on kind of dictates whether I do or not.

Things do happen but I believe the ounce of prevention goes a long way. I make sure my stuff is in good working condition.

I bring a T/C Venture in 30/06. I have never had to rely on it. It is also available if someone else in the group has trouble with their primary rifle.

Since I always drive to where I hunt I take three and usually four of my favorite ones with me. I've never needed one as a backup, but will give one a day or two break sometimes just to use one of the others since I have so many.

Definitely take a spare every time I go, even if I'm just hunting local. Would hate to waste hunting time driving back home or trying to fix and rezero one in the field when I can just pull out another one that's ready to go.

Bringing a t/c 35 whelen this year as a extra. I hunt with it all year long down here. Small and can be put out the way easily.

I take 2: My Interarms 7 RM is heavier, more pop for longer shots. My Stevens 270 is very light, it gets the call when there are miles to be covered. The rifles are very different, but each has a Timney trigger adjusted the same, so they feel somewhat similar to shoot.

I was in the Frank Church at a trailhead talking to a guy from out East and he said he had a train wreck with his horse and his gun got the brunt of it. I believe he called back home and flew his son out to Idaho with a rifle and continued hunting but I don't know how many days he lost. I only have one rifle but usually try to get a locals, to the area I'm hunting, phone number for emergency purposes.

I have never taken a second rifle. I usually hunt within 150 miles of home. I have thought of it, but the idea of leaving a rifle in camp prevents me from doing it.

Have had the camp robbed a couple of times (good story, but not for the internet).

I am cautious.

Never had the need and have hunted over 35 years!

I never leave for a hunting trip without a spare serpentine belt for the truck and a spare rifle. I spent hours on new years eve trying to find someone open with a belt for a 91 GMC truck with a 350 within driving range for the second vehicle one year. I finally got one and went to a buddy's new years party and hunting the antlerless season the next day. I haven't needed the spare rifle but I most often shoot a 264 win mag so if I lose my handloads I'm not likely to find ammo at a store. I usually have a 270 win as my back-up gun if I'm hunting big game. Ammo is available most places if things go really wrong and I have one that isn't to picky on loads in a pinch. I save and plan all year, depending on the tag maybe multiple years, for western hunts so I try to cover all the bases I can to make them fun and successful.

Always take one. Used it 2x in 6 years between me and various hunting buddies in camp. Better to have a reliable backup than lose time in the field

I always bring a spare. Usually it is very similar to my primary rifle. I have been traveling for hunts for 30 years as well as every weekend during season at my local hunting camp (1.5 hr ride) and never had to use it. But I dont bring it for the times I dont need it I am hauling it along for that one time I will. But if I was going to spend my hunt worried about someone stealing my spare while I was gone from camp I might just thrown a spare scope and mounts in my bag. I think the one spare for two hunters is a good program as well.

I had to use a back up just last week. Got out of a spot to sit and the rear sight was missing on my muzzle loader. Got back to camp and loaded up the spare.

I always bring a spare gun and sometimes two. Depending on where I go I bring a spare bow also. I gave my spare away to a kid on here so I won't have one on this next trip. Was planing on getting something new but didn't get around to it.

Spare shotguns are a must on long duck hunts. Only needed it once on a snow goose hunt. My extractor broke off.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back