Caribou Gear

Spare rifle for hunts

Rooster52

Who brings along an extra spare rifle on there hunting trips?

For my western hunts I always bring along at least one extra rifle just in case something happens unexpected.

I bring a spare rifle when I travel west to hunt. Easier to grab the spare rifle vs. replacing a broken scope because I fell on my gun.

I think two guys can bring one gun for a spare but I'm a pesimist. When I travel more than a few hours away the lowest ratio is 2 spare to 3 guys. I prefer a gun that is a slightly different setup than my primary in case I need to switch up. For example a short light brush gun vs. a heavier long range gun. Out west I generally carry similar set ups because I figure a switch would probably entail a fall or malfunction however.

I always bring a spare rifle, even when hunting close to home. You never know when you're going to bump the rifle and possibly knock the scope out of wack or fall and go barrel first into dirt or mud. Especially for you guys that have to travel out here, it's much easier to go back to the truck and grab a spare rifle than it is to run home and grab another one. Where I hunt antelope is 15 minutes from my house, and I still take a back up rifle with me.

I always take a spare firearm. Haven't needed it yet, but it's there for when I do. Now that I plan on doing more upland game hunting, I'll probably always be taking 2 shotguns as well.

When I go over to central Montana deer, elk, and antelope hunting I will usually take a spare because I'm 350 miles from home and feel it's well worth it.

David.

Had to loan my spare to a hunt partner when his starting spraying at Cortez Co range check. Not a big deal if you're driving to stow an extra case.

Always have a spare! Sometimes 2. Depends on where and what I am after. Always take a shotgun and .22 just in case I tag out early and have a chance to chase grouse as well.

I always bring a spare rifle along. I to hunt central Montana and being 1300 plus miles from home who wouldn't?

I fell packing back out of a high country area & messed my rifle up falling during a Sierra stream crossing.Cracked the stock & dented the scope.Hiked back to my truck and hunted from there with the Win. 30-30. Took a buck the next day 1/4 mi from camp.
I prefer open sights for back up gun personally. That and it's my 1st and I know it.

Who brings along an extra spare rifle on there hunting trips?

For my western hunts I always bring along at least one extra rifle just in case something happens unexpected.

Just a Mosin Nagant. If your gun fails, then you can use the bayonet.

I always bring a back-up rifle. They are nearly identicle model 700s one is my 7mm mag and the other is the wife's .270. Though I've never needed the back-up in nearly 40 years of hunting, it's like insurance in the back of my mind.

Where do you draw the line with bringing "extras"? What if you burn a hole in your tent when the spark arrestor doesn't catch an ember? That's happened to me. What happens when your truck's wheel bearing goes to hell on the way to the trip? That's happened to me too. Packing an extra tent or truck seems a bit impractical to me.

I did a pack-in canoe fishing trip with some friends once and a couple folks on this particular trip brought more extra stuff than we would ever need in a life time. It actually made the trip somewhat annoying (granted there was portaging involved so obviously you had to carry everything that you brought with you).

I do more bow hunting than anything (probably about 30 sits in a season) and I never bring an extra bow with me even though I own two. It just seems whenever I go somewhere, space is always at a premium.

I haven't taken a spare in a long time. Many times two of us will share a rifle, but there is usually a backup somewhat close by, days travel maybe.

I'm sure something could happen at some point, but I'm not that worried about it. 2 guys and 2 rifles is more than enough for me.

I had my rifle slung over my shoulder and slipped while going down a steep trail and landed partially on the gun. Shot the gun that afternoon to check the zero and it wouldn't touch my portable target at 100 yards. Switched to the back up gun and kept hunting. Shot a deer the next morning.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back