Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Spare rifle for hunts

I was thinking about bringing a spare rifle for my upcoming elk hunt and after reading all these comments I think I made up my mind. My .300 WM will be my main gun and then will have a 7MM at camp for backup.

I don't think I've ever taken a spare rifle, except for my hunts in Wyoming the last two years. And it wasn't really so I'd have a spare rifle, it was more so that I could hunt with a different rifle that I normally don't hunt with. With four tags to fill it's nice to be able to shoot a couple animals with one rifle and a couple more with another rifle. This year I'm taking my Weatherby Vanguard 30/06 which I've had for 14 years, and have only killed one bear with it, because I almost always grab my Browning 270 Win. instead of the 30/06.

Last edited:
I always have a spare with me. I like the comfort knowing if something happens to one of our guns there is one to replace it. My back up gun is just as good as my first gun and I sometimes even carry that gun as well. I feel just as comfortable with my back up gun as I do with my number one gun.

In 2009, opening morning of CO's Third Rifle season, one of our DIY hunters put his rifle in his horse's scabbard BEFORE backing the horse out of the stall. The rifle stock broke clean off as he backed the horse out. He didn't have a spare rifle. Thankfully, his friend did. All the way from California to Colorado without a spare gun? Always carry a spare.

There is usually a spare or two in camp. Our camp consists of five or six hunters. My b in law and I bring one between us. The others do likewise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back