Sow bears and boo boos - let's see them.

William Christy

Hold your head high. Get some thick skin. Share your pics (or those of others). It's happened to most. I've got 4 of my own & have seen it happen to others too. Why and how? Let the tears and laughter begin.. It's an annual tradition.

My biggest and bestest sow, a solid 5 footer (that's likely was wet, skinned, skull out, and likely pulled very hard by 2 adult men between the length and width measurements) from the tick infested beartrap over 20 years ago. I would guess a bear like this might weight 140 lbs I really don’t know (there's a realistic chance it could have been a lot less). Saw that beautiful coat and just couldn’t pass herhim up. Ah, that’s bullshit. She rolled a rock down the hill at the wrong time that almost hit me. I didn’t watch it long enough and thankfully there were no cubs.
33C96436-2033-4D08-824C-1909C80DADA0.jpeg

Last edited:
was Gus trying to breed her?
She came into a call. We were on a knob and she popped out of some bushes at about 10 yards. Gus charged her, and I was like oh f- and put one in her chest.

She toppled over backwards into the bushes and he dove in after her. 🤦‍♂️

When I finally got to where they were she was wadded up behind a log and he was standing on top.

First hour of my first ever bear hunt. Visited my brother in Juneau back in 2002, where he was working at the time. Took his boat out to an island that a buddy of his had a cabin on. After unloading gear we walked to a small clearing behind the cabin. This guy seemed unaware of our existence. Next day as we were leaving, a husband and wife from a neighboring cabin showed up on the shore and asked what we were doing. Told them we knew the owner and had been doing a little bear hunting. Turns out this bear was a bit of an area pet.
How was I suppose to know he had a name?
AK bear.JPG

You risked your life for that one. Take note of how I prop my dead booboo up on rocks to give it that ominous dangerous bear look with the big hump on it's little back. I see you realize it's best to not step into the photo to show perspective, as difficult as it would have been to get WAAAAYY behind it for the photo.

I see you realize it's best to not step into the photo to show perspective, as difficult as it would have been to get WAAAAYY behind it for the photo.
Would’ve needed ropes and a harness for that.

When we were watching it through the spotter, my buddy tried to convince me it was a big bear. In fairness, I figured it was closer to 180ish.

You’ll notice I didn’t let Finn get in the photo?

Not sure what I am more surprised by, that MA checks bears that they are not sure if its gutted or not or that they check bears that they dont know its sex and also dont know if it gutted or not?
I’m guessing that’s more related to poor record keeping, but it could be stupidity 🤷‍♂️

Not sure what I am more surprised by, that MA checks bears that they are not sure if its gutted or not or that they check bears that they dont know its sex and also dont know if it gutted or not?
I believe the reports are hand written and the office tech was like yeah... this sheet is totally illegible or not filled out completely.

Food for thought... from MA totals for the last 30 years, you have to bring bears in whole.
View attachment 223561
So what you're saying is these sows are TINY. I'm pretty sure Maine bears might be larger that western bears. The factor in the honest yield of meat. For reference. https://oodmag.com/how-much-meat-to-expect-from-your-harvest/

Brochu says bears yield the least meat, and suggests that no matter the size of the bear, the end result is similar, about 40 pounds. Bigger bears are generally much fattier, so even a 200- to 250-pound bear will only net 40 to 50 pounds of meat once the thick layers of fat, solid bone structure, and heavy hide are removed.

So you're likely looking at about 20 lbs of meat on a typical boo boo, maybe less. Next time you look at the neck meat on a bull elk, think of next year's bear and the price of that license and gas you burn through. 🤣

Last edited:
First hour of my first ever bear hunt. Visited my brother in Juneau back in 2002, where he was working at the time. Took his boat out to an island that a buddy of his had a cabin on. After unloading gear we walked to a small clearing behind the cabin. This guy seemed unaware of our existence. Next day as we were leaving, a husband and wife from a neighboring cabin showed up on the shore and asked what we were doing. Told them we knew the owner and had been doing a little bear hunting. Turns out this bear was a bit of an area pet.
How was I suppose to know he had a name?
View attachment 223564
A SOUTHEAST Alaska Tiny sow bear with a name. You're checking a whole lot of boxes with that one! Congratulations!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back