Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sow bears and boo boos - let's see them.

I acknowledge that I am sitting at the back of the bear but this was actually a pretty good sized sow. I might have shot a smaller boar or two…

Where I live, there is a minimum weight limit of 75 pounds live weight. On borderline bears, it just isn’t worth the hassle of trying to weigh them before shooting. 😀

2DE70920-01C8-4D0A-9AA5-6CFBE8C71288.jpeg

She came into a call. We were on a knob and she popped out of some bushes at about 100 yards. Gus gave me the look like, "we can't go home empty handed." I was like oh f-it and put one in her chest.

She toppled over backwards into the bushes and he dove in after her. 🤦‍♂️

When I finally got to where they were she was wadded up behind a log and he was standing on top.

Fixed it for you! ;)

No pictures but I will admit that my first bear probably didn't weigh 100 lbs. The saddest part is I got buck fever (sow fever) and missed the first shot. Should have left well enough alone after that but no, I took a second shot and killed the poor little girl. The pack out was easy though.

In September of 2015 I was hunting a buddies small property for elk but the trail cameras were showing more bear than elk so I picked up a bear tag. I had never hunted bear before. She almost climbed the ladder and then went out to about 20 yards and stared at me broadside. From that distance she looked huge!C1E165E3-AD2D-433B-9566-2F3F8EBAA8F4.jpeg7B1FF3FD-EA43-46E8-BE4C-5112C627872E.jpeg

She dressed at 297 and aged at 10 or 11. Had an opportunity at a big boar earlier that day that was a row inside the corn field. Couldn’t get comfortable with the shot so I passed. The farmer called me later in the sit to tell me my time was limited so I opted to shoot what I thought would be a 350 ish pound boar. Turns out sows are short, which is why she was 50+ pounds lighter than I thought she’d be.

410B3648-1F7F-4E15-9B50-5E54DBF865FC.jpegA935694B-BDE1-4B84-844C-1E101CBD8437.jpeg
I was bent because I’d waited ten years to tag a sow and would need to wait 15+ years for another tag. I was so disgusted that I started buying points in the West, and then got a phd in point creep. But, without that “failure” I wouldn’t have been to WY each of the last four years hunting antelope. Now that that opportunity is drying up I’ll have to get bent about that and see what other adventures I can discover while I continue to wait for that next bear tag.

Last edited:
I guy I hunted with a few times shot two this size, back to back years. I was convinced he was making them into slippers. I was on this trip and before I could tell him not to shoot, it was over. The back straps where about the size of a kielbasa. DSC_2588.jpg

Last edited:
First bear hunt, spotted a bear across the canyon at 700ish yards. There was an old logging road that went around the head of the canyon so I took it around to the other side while my Dad stayed back. I got to the point where I though I was directly above it and dropped down the hillside. My Dad kept signaling to keep going down then I got to a spot I recognized. There were two fallen trees and the bear had been feeding where the root ball tore up the ground. I kept looking, but didn't see it until it popped its head over the top of the rootball. Once I walked to the other side to see it laying there I had the feeling that I had shot my neighbors lab.....though that lab might be deserving of a bullet.

I had a selfie of it, but can't seem to find it now. It certainly ate well, and made an Easter ham from it the following year.

PXL_20220525_002021744.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

Back