South Dakota turkey hunting

Aaron_radloff

Hi I'm heading out to South Dakota this spring in hope to bag my first merriams, and also to see the black hills and all the sights it has to offer. And I was wondering where's the best area to find the birds? In the valley or deep in the ponderosa's? And where do they roost the most? In ponderosa trees or in other types? I'm from Wisconsin so I'm used to hunting farm fields and patches of oak trees so any insight would be helpful and very appreciated. Thank you.

Check google earth and look for past clear cuts. Ive had my best luck near them. Also stick to hunting all day. You can kill one at 3:00 pm just as easy as 6:00 am. Early part of the season out there can be hit or miss depending on the weather. Good luck!

Alright yeah I've ward google earth is the way To go but ill be sure to watch the clear cuts and yeah I was planning on hunting all day long every day. Thanks

I have hunted S.D. for the past thirteen years.Its a GREAT hunt,but do yourself a favor and be cautious about spring storms. The snow/mud can be unbelievable.For example one year there were EIGHT foot snow drifts. I $hit you not.

If there is a snowstorm out there will the birds still be active or does the activity shut down? And yeah actually we were gonna stay in hill city and hunt from there. Thank you guys

A snowstorm will pretty much shut them down. Best shot in those conditions is to locate them and put a stalk on. One other thing ive noticed is it helps to be more aggressive in calling out there than we are used to with easterns in the midwest.

Been $85 for several years I dont think it has changed this year. Got to buy mine shortly.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back