Sounds

1. What are the sounds that you use on the
stand?

2. What is the length of time you blow a call on your series?

3. How long do you stay on a stand?

4. What terrian do you hunt on? Prarrie, desert, woods, cutover, ect...

5. In the terrain that you hunt what are the features that you are looking for in order to make a stand?

These questions are for varmints. Cat, coyote, lion that is up to you.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-05-2003 16:29: Message edited by: Maineiac the original ]</font>

Well let me see if I can answer this from my point of view.

Q~1. What are the sounds that you use on the
stand?
A~ Coyote vocalizations and animal distress.
a1~ this is a hard question to answer with just a one liner, every stand will require a little diffrent attitude and varied call sounds. Also it depends on what you are hunting.

Q~2. What is the length of time you blow a call on your series?
A~ here again this will varry depending on location and weather and animals in the ares, there are many varibles here also.
I would have to say most of the time 25-35 secconds at a time unless its windy then I blow the hell out of it nonstop for anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 min.

Q~3. How long do you stay on a stand?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A~ This again depends on what you are huntin,IE: cats take longer to call in most of the time.
on average on a coyote stand I spend 20-25 min. On cat stands I spend 45 - 1 hour on a stand

I think most will agree or be close to what I've told you here.

MTO, very good question. I'll be interested in what the others have to say about this one.

sly

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-04-2003 17:22: Message edited by: Slydog ]</font>

I basicly have two types of terrain to hunt on, woods and fields. The woods I hunt on are owned by a timber company the one tract that I primaryly hunt on is triangle shaped. One of the side is approx 21-22 miles long the base is about 15 miles and theother leg is about 18 miles long. When I hunt in the woods, I look for what gives me the best visibility. Like cutovers, log roads, thinning hopefully on the way in I have seen scat or tracks. When I hunt here I try to stay on stand a little longer to give them a chance of come in. After my last call I try and wait about 10 minutes before I walk out.

The fields that I hunt are mostly are 10-300 acres, with rock piles around the primiter. All have plenty of growth in the breaks. Most are 10-20 feet wide. When hunting here I setup somewhere along the fence rows. Where I can use the wind and hills to my advantage. Even though it is hilly I can usually only see about 400 yrds at the farthest. Many times it is closer than that. Here I call less and watch more.

When I am calling I also use gut fellings when on stand whether to stay, call more, less, leave now, stay a while longer, move to a new vantage point to watch where I just was.

Ok guys, we know that there are more of you out there with imput for this thread, lets hear it.

sly

Guys,
I just got booted after typing a very long post on the subject. I'm getting old and slow. I will try again only shorter post with more to follow.

My main target animal is the coyote. Howling has become my main calling sound for these sly critters. Most of my coyotes come in silent, and much of the time I find no need to add prey distress sounds. A typical stand will begin with two or three lonesome sounding howls, followed by three minutes or so of silence. If no customers yet, I repeat the howling sequence. Two or three more minutes of silence. If there are still no customers I go in to some prey distress, but hardly ever do I use a rabbit sound anymore. Sometimes a bird distress, but most of the time pup whines or squeals are my choice.

Maineiac the original,
The howling for coyotes method is still fairly new to most of us. It has only been in past few years that I learned about how the practice of "locating" coyotes during the night time with intent on calling them come morning can backfire on a feller if he ain't real careful. Locating den area during spring and summer is another story, but let us just say we are gonna call coyotes in winter time right now. We go out at night, drive around out calling area and we stop on a few high points to howl. When a coyote howls back, we remember where he howled from and happily drive to another high point a mile or more away. What we didn't know was that when we howled back there at stop #1 and got that howl back----The coyote was on his way in to kick snot out of the stranger he just heard.

Maineiac the original,
If you call coyotes in summer, you can locate den areas by howling at night and asking land owner where he is hearing them howl every night. Then you can slip in at daybreak and howl in the parents. Most of us only do this on livestock killing complaints.

Property to hunt on here is not a problem. The farmers tell me exactly where they see and hear the coyotes. I don't have any livestock killings, here it is a lot of farmers kids pets.

Back