Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Son has Unit 16e youth elk antler less tag

JDSanders

I forgot to mention in the title that it is Unit 16e in New Mexico. I know a lot of guys are not in the business of giving up info but... My only question is does anyone have ideas on where to enter public lands onto the unit that will get us into elk? With just a little research and map studying I am thinking the southwest end of the unit is our best bet. In the Pelona mountain area. I am guessing that with so much private we will be running into some locked gates. I want to respect the landowners and their land, roads etc. any other info on that unit would be greatly appreciated also.

Last edited:
That would be a good place to look. Coyote Peak has plenty of elk. Many of the landowners there are enrolled in the Unit Wide E-Plus Elk system, so their lands are open to public land hunting. Just go to the NM G&F website and look at the list of UW landowners in 16E. Then, if you have a map chip for your GPS, you can identify the lands that are open to hunting. You will be surprised to see how many of the public lands on that side of the mountain are open.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for your information. I have hunted my whole life and never been as nervous or excited for a hunt as this one. This will be my sons first hunt and I want to make it happen. I have a busy season this year with all that I drew (not complaining) and this one is #1 on my list. I will concentrate on the area I mentioned above and will take the time to research the Unit Wide land owners on the Game and Fish website. Thanks again.

Big Fin

Y'all mention a chip for GPS. What kind of chip and what models will they fit and where is best source to get a chip?

Big Fin

Y'all mention a chip for GPS. What kind of chip and what models will they fit and where is best source to get a chip?

Cushman is talking about the onXmaps chips ( http://www.onxmaps.com/ ). I have several, and they work quite well for finding property lines, public access, etc. I'm pretty sure this is what Randy uses as well. However, to the OP, it looks like 16e is in a county with no current coverage, according to the onXmaps website.

Cushman is talking about the onXmaps chips ( http://www.onxmaps.com/ ). I have several, and they work quite well for finding property lines, public access, etc. I'm pretty sure this is what Randy uses as well. However, to the OP, it looks like 16e is in a county with no current coverage, according to the onXmaps website.

Yeah, HuntingGPSMaps by OnXMaps is the way to go.

Make sure to use promo code - hunttalk14 and receive a free Fresh Tracks DVD.

Link here - http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/?acc=45c48cce2e2d7fbdea1afc51c7c6ad26

I have hunted 16E in the Pelona Mt area. There are plenty of elk but it sure was some big, and at times rough country. We hunted with horses and I can't imagine doing that unit otherwise.

Just throwing it out there I have used Trimble GPS hunt pro on my phone. You cans save maps for offline use and has served me pretty well for determining private land.

I got my chip for GPS. Like everyone said. Couldn't do with out it. Thanks everyone for insight.

That would be a good place to look. Coyote Peak has plenty of elk. Many of the landowners there are enrolled in the Unit Wide E-Plus Elk system, so their lands are open to public land hunting. Just go to the NM G&F website and look at the list of UW landowners in 16E. Then, if you have a map chip for your GPS, you can identify the lands that are open to hunting. You will be surprised to see how many of the public lands on that side of the mountain are open.

Good luck.

I'm curious if things have changed with the GPS chips for this unit? I've invested in both the chip and premium app in hopes of connecting the above named information but it doesn't appear to be on their system. Did they sell versions with the 16E landowners in the past? The last thing I want to do is trespass. Anyone with some years of New Mexico garmin experience out there have some insight on this?

Enjoy the hunt is all I can add. I had two of my boys get to hunt the youth hunt there (unit 17 and 13) and we had a blast and have memories that will last forever.

onXmaps for NM is the way to go.
Catron county is only one in NM to not list each LO on private,but the property boundaries are accurate.
We're barely a generation away from homesteaders and a bit behind the times technology wise.....

After a ton of checking I was able to locate some plat maps with all the landowners I needed. I will be doing a little transferring of data onto both my gps unit and a nice paper unit map. If in the future anyone needs info on how to find it PM me and I will get you pointed in the right direction.

Hank4elk- Haha, I guess so! You guys make up for it in beautiful country and great hunting.

Please let us know how you make out, lots of pictures and stories please. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back