PEAX Equipment

Something different, 16 for 3.

Tom

Its a big Texas ranch that is doing a depradation hunt of 200 blackbuck does total, with 160 to go. Take lots of ammo.

Here's the story. I went with Roger and his brother Bob for some antelope on a hunt SJ set up for us. Here's Roger and Bob at the truck when we arrived. The lodge is very nice, a large stone house, with everything, down to the spices, pots, and silverwear in the kitchen cabinets. They didn't charge us for that.

sj6.jpg

Here's me with some blackbucks that we got the first evening. We went 16 for 3 this weekend. Its a story, like a dove hunt, sort of. That's what Frank called it, he runs the hunting operations at this big ranch between Junction and Rocksprings, TX.

sj9.jpg

Here's Orlando, our de-meater. He really was worth a lot, helping do 16 of these animals. Also, Bob and Roger with some more that we got the first afternoon. I'll show you how Frank does the hunt there with these antelope. He's got about 160 to go, if others want to try it and can go.

sj7.jpg

We set one of us at a pond that Frank knew the antelope frequented and the others went with him, safari style hunting mostly. They were pretty nice roads for a ranch and the terrain was grassy pastures with oaks and some hills.

sj13.jpg

Here's a picture of Bob, Roger's brother, with the "hotrod" Frank uses to get these antelope. Frank drove this thing like a hotrod, it seemed like, two hunters road up in that seat. When game was spotted, Frank, the driver, pointed the vehicle in the right direction and everyone got their binoculars and scopes on the game.

sj15.jpg

The hard part was making sure it was not a young buck, we were doe meat hunting (a depredation hunt to total 200 does before its over) and trying not to shoot it in the rear. Since they were usually running away from the vehicle, it was no easy shot. Anyone who goes, should take lots of ammunition. As Frank said, its like a dove hunt and its bloody. One we hit pretty well, it ran into some trees for cover. Three of us did a stalk on it around the clump of trees. We pushed it up again but found it standing on the back side, and shot it again. It ran up hill about 50 yards and went down with lungs out. Frank drug it about 75 yards, then I picked up the other end and we carried it about 150 yards to meet the "hotrod" vehicle. Frank and I threw it in and the thing still kicked around after all of that. They are pretty incredible little animals.

Frank wants them shot, he drives fast, he points the vehicle. Then you look for a doe that you can hit, before they get to far away. It was fast action. We got 7 the first afternoon out.

The lodge is nice. Here's the barbeque and wood pile we used to make deer sausage for dinner after cleaning that afternoons' animals and getting the meat in the freezer they provided at no charge.
sj16.jpg

Bob made breakfast he brought in the lodge kitchen. It was awesome, potatoes, eggs, bacon, toast, and drinks. A really good country breakfast to face the day, as Roger said. Here's Frank, our guide and host, and Roger at the breakfast table.
sj12.jpg

We went out for more antelope after breakfast. Here's Roger
with, I guess, 8 more. He got one during the night too. When we took the carcasses to the dump that evening, we took a spotlight. I got a raccoon and skunk for varmint control and Roger got another doe. With landowner permission, even exotic hunting is legal here at night and Frank wanted them shot, eventually 200, if enough hunters go after them. Here's Roger with the 8 from the next morning's hunt.

sj14.jpg

(continued below because of 8 image limit)

The ranch and the lodge are really quite nice, Frank and Orlando were very nice. Frank has a New York sense of humor at his roots, but he hunted Texas 10 years ago and has loved it ever since. He runs the hunting operations at this ranch now. SJ has management deer and bigger trophy hunts during deer season there I think. Here's some deer in the lodge taken from the ranch.

sj11.jpg

Here's one of the blackbuck bucks mounted at the lodge. These were discounted for the hunt but are still not real cheap despite the large discount. We saw several of them, they can be hunted year round here.

sj17.jpg

Here's two bucks we saw fighting. They were on the other side of a cattle pen area and I have some cattle fencing in the picture. There were about 20-30 does hanging around there that they were showing off for. All the does took off, but the fighting bucks didn't notice me, so I got the picture.

sj4.jpg

Contact SJ to set up a hunt, if you want to try it. Frank said it will go on for quite a while, since his goal is to take out 160 more of the blackbuck antelope does. They're $50 each and the liscense is only $45, then your travel and some pay for Orlando to help de-meat them. The guy doesn't even gut them, he debones the hams, takes out the backstraps, cuts the shoulders off, and just sneaks in to get the tenderloins out. He made the hard work part of it, easy for us.

We went 16 for 3, in less than a full day of hunting. We were after 15 from the beginning for friends and co-workers and family. Maybe Roger can applify on how it turned into 16, instead of the 15 we wanted. They weren't even shooting at it, him and his brother, and it had two broken legs and a major body wound and they didn't even shoot at it?

The lodge and hosts were great. The hard part was making sure it wasn't a young buck and not shooting them in the ass as they ran away. Good luck, if you try it, take lots of ammo. Its safari style hunting at the extreme, the way Frank drives that "hotrod". ;D He said, its like a dove hunt, but I'm calling it safari style hunting at the extreme.

Thanks for the pics Tom and nice going on the does. Guess you will hear it now,not only hunting in a fenced area, but road hunting besides. ;)

I just didn't want to miss the fighting buck picture, so I took it right through the cattle pen area. The antelope are free ranging, those bucks were on the other side of the pen area. I'm sure from the view sitting in computer chairs, people will imagine many other things to bring up.

That rig must be for hunting the Texas "wilderness",,for that huge state record,,,"Texas WILDERNESS" ,,,now isn`t that Funny,,

Haven't I told you before, Texas has wilderness areas, there are five protected wilderness areas in Texas, 1) the Big Slough Wilderness Area,near the northeastern tip of Davy Crockett National Forest; 2) the Indian Mounds Wilderness in Sabine County; 3) the Little Lake Creek Wilderness Area, in the southwestern corner of Sam Houston National; 4) the Turkey Hill Wilderness Area,in Angelina County; and 5) the Upland Island Wilderness Area, in Angelina and Jasper counties. No vehicles allowed there.

By the way, this ranch with the depradation hunt for antelope that anybody can do right now, cheap, is bigger than most wilderness areas in the US. What is there to hunt now in MT?

the word "HUNT" is key here ,,,I think you mean "SHOOT",,,and right now Tom cattle season is on you can "HUNT" them in a very large fenced pasture,,right up you alley huh Tom?

ahhh come on Tom, We could put you in the back of a truck , haul ass around the pasture , get the cattle up and running then drive up to them slam on the brakes and you can go to guns on them and you can say you "HUNTED" in Montana

ahhh come on Tom, We could put you in the back of a truck , haul ass around the pasture , get the cattle up and running then drive up to them slam on the brakes and you can go to guns on them and you can s

These antelope can run right through the cattle fence there, they can jump it, they can go under it. They were not in that pen, the two fighting bucks I took a picture of and all the does that ran away before I took that picture were outside of that pen fenced area for loading and unloading cattle. They graze like cattle and elk graze, that's it.

For pheasant or quail, something that doesn't stand around like cattle do, you would have a similar hunt possibly. What else you got for me to hunt in Montana? What's a good hunt for an out of state guy who can't really come scout but maybe a day before the season? What do you have like that? I know you won't post pictures, but maybe you'll e-mail some. What do you have, you name the hunt, what is it, describe it? What about those buffaloe at the park border, are they doing that? Does that take a hunting liscense or what? Describe it on its own, like it is.
Anybody, what the hunt you've got going for out of state guys, with description and costs?

[ 02-23-2004, 17:20: Message edited by: Tom ]

I'll jump in on this. These are totally free ranging Blackbuck Antelope. No pens, no high fences. They come and go as they please. These aren't penned raised or hand fed either. They are totally wild Blackbuck antelope. This is a meat hunt or shoot, whatever you want to call it. The purpose for the hunt/shoot is to eliminate at least 200 does out of the free ranging herd because they are very prolific breeders and they will over take all grazing and browse areas, it wasn't set up to hone your hunting skills. This hunt/shoot was put together for the sole purpose of thinning the herd and was offered to hunters who wanted a cheap, fast way of filling their freezers with some great tasting meat for very little cost. The way the hunt/shoot is conducted is to maximize the time spent in the field with the most amount of kills possible in a certain time period. It is a DEPREDATION hunt/shoot. Does anyone know how long it would take for hunters using normal hunting techniques to eliminate 200 does from a Free Ranging herd? This is a DEPREDATION hunt/shoot!!!!!! The last time this outfitter had to thin the herd he PAID military snipers to come in at night and blast them. This time instead of paying to have it done he is offering hunters a chance to do it for him and in return he not only saves the money it cost him to thin it before but can make a very small profit and hunters get some great meat at a very small cost. Now is anyone going to tell me that if they were the outfitter they wouldn't do exactly the same thing. I hope none of ya'll are lame enough to say no.

SJ just gave the argument for what a great opportunity this is. Frank, at the ranch has a goal of 20 blackbucks per weekend, he said last weekend. 5 guys for $200 each could get 4 antelope each. 4 at $250 could get 5 each. Make a trip, its a different experience. The liscense is only $45, the lodge is great. Take a semi-automatic if you want.

Its like a low hunting pressure private ranch where you see hundreds of elk during the season. The difference is these are antelope and these are only $50, and these are now!

You can bet I'll be thinking of SJ, and thanking him for telling us about this, when I'm eating some of those good antelope steaks.

Thank you SJ!

Looks like you had alot of fun Tom ;)

Where in Tx is this?

I will try to get Martin to run out there for a weekend and stackem up like cord wood :D

"this big ranch between Junction and Rocksprings, TX." Its south only about 12 miles off of the exit at mile marker 429 on I-10 east of Sonora, but west of Junction. Junction has great barbeque at Cooper's right at mile marker 456. Heck, if you go, I might go too, and meet you and shoot some more. SJ will set it up.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=&city=Junction&state=TX&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map

Its on that grey line going south by the creek.

Hey Tom looks like a great time was had on the ranch.Congrats on all the Blackbuck Does.I cant wait until the next time I can hunt Texas.You sure cant beat that price for the hunt.

Better hurry if any are still wanting to do a hunt at Frank's. I am working on a large group hunt over two weekends for a fund raiser for a Rotary Club and if it goes through there are going to be a lot less blackbuck does available. Give me a holler and I can give you the details.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back