Yeti GOBOX Collection

Some Show Updates

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
It is that time of the year when the outdoor TV industry starts having all of their big events. The biggest being the SHOT Show in Las Vegas, coming the middle of January. At that event, Outdoor Channel holds a big shindig for all the industry people to come and see "who's who" in the outdoor TV world.

Just got a letter from Outdoor Channel that is pretty surprising. Well, not that surprising, but considering who we are up against, has put a pretty big smile on my face. Here is how the deal works.

There are two types of awards - 1) Fan Favorites (please go to the icon to the upper right and vote for us :D), and 2) Professional Panel Judging.

The fan favorites are pretty easy to explain. Get as many votes as possible, and the show with the most votes for that category wins the award.

The Professional Panel judging is more complicated. Here is how it works.

1. All 130 shows submit their best footage for any of the seven categories. We submitted for five categories.

2. Outdoor Channel does a preliminary screening of the shows and then sends the majority of them to a committee of the 30 "industry experts" for the Professional Panel grading/voting.

3. Scoring from that Professional Panel is tallied, and the top five shows are then considered as nominees in that specific category and the winners will be announced in January at the Outdoor Channel Awards show.

So, guess who has been nominated as a Top Five show in four of the five Professional Panel categories we submitted for? :eek: Who'd a thunk it?

On Your Own Adventures has been selected among all of the Outdoor Channel shows for a top five nomination, and possible winner in these categories:

Best Overall Production (Montana Bear episode)

Best Big Game (New Mexico Archery Elk episode)

Best Turkey (Montana Turkey episode)

Best Educational/Instructional (Montana Whitetail episode)

For us to win any of the industry panel awards, or to win any of the fan favorite awards would be a big splash. This seldom happens with a new show. And for us to be doing that well, across all categories, is amazing. Those you who watch outdoor TV know the big names and supporting sponsors we are up against.

Rumor has it that we are doing amazingly well in the fan favorite voting, also. The fan favorite voting is still open, until the end of December. If you can garner any votes on our behalf, it would be greatly appreciated - Family, hunting friends, or anyone you think would like to support the concept of non-guided hunting. Here is the link:

http://www.outdoorchannel.com/GMARegister.aspx

Thanks for all your support. Your emails to Outdoor Channel and sponsors have been making a big impact, not just for us, but for the voice of average hunters in the world of Outdoor TV.

That's great news!!! To be in the top 5 is huge, considering this is your first year and getting all the kinks worked out. Congrats Randy

Congrats Big Fin, certainly seems you've put in the hard work and I love the footage each week. Congrats and good luck on a couple big wins!

Congrats ONYOA crew!

As some say here..."whack em and stack em"...the awards that is.

BTW...Will this be a black tie event? I'd bet the invitation is black tie, but half the guys would still show up in their fancy camo ties.

Last edited:
...BTW...Will this be a black tie event? I'd bet the invitation is black tie, but half the guys would still show up in their fancy camo ties.

I hope not. I don't own a black tie, or any clothing similar to that. In my CPA firm, if someone is looking for a guy with a tie, they came to the wrong firm. If employees see me in a tie, they know it is a funeral, or testifying in court as an expert witness.

Not too worried about the blacktie stuff. Could probably wear my normal garb, and fit right in with the waiters, bus boys, and janitors, with whom is probably where I will be asked to sit. ;)

I hope not. I don't own a black tie, or any clothing similar to that. In my CPA firm, if someone is looking for a guy with a tie, they came to the wrong firm. If employees see me in a tie, they know it is a funeral, or testifying in court as an expert witness.

Not too worried about the blacktie stuff. Could probably wear my normal garb, and fit right in with the waiters, bus boys, and janitors, with whom is probably where I will be asked to sit. ;)

I'm sure I can find a loner suit for you in my closet Finn:D You should of seen the look on Randy's and the camera guys faces when I showed up to deer camp in mine.:) Best dressed guy on the Montana opener.

Celebration...hopefully!

I hope to be able to celebrate with you when OYOA wins some awards!
BigBang

I hope to be able to celebrate with you when OYOA wins some awards!
BigBang

Let's hope. I will buy. If we win anything, drinks are on Fin that night. And I can't even drink.

If we were so blessed, as to win an award, I might even buy a drink for those poor pitiful souls who laughed at me and told me that the non-guided hunter was a fringe element in the hunting world.

Maybe even splurge for those that said On Your Own hunters are the "wanna be" crowd who doesn't buy any products or spend any money.

Could I be so charitable as to spring for refreshements for those high-end foreign companies who laughed at the idea that our audience could afford their stuff?

What about those who told us that the only reason people hunt On their Own is that they don't have the coin for the exclusive stuff, and all I am trying to do is stir the jealousy pot?

Should I buy any drinks for that one really big company who told me promotion of non-guided hunting was too divisive and not good for the hunting world?

Now that I think about the way the non-guided hunter has been treated, the naysayers can buy their own damn drinks. Hell, they can vapor lock, for all I care.

Whether we win or not, being nominated as a Top 5 (of the 130 submissions) in four of the five submitted categories is enough for me to buy drinks. The more I think about it, since Outdoor Channel is so nice as to fund this event, I will buy drinks for anyone who wants me to stand in line and carry their drink to the table. :D

Tickets, tickets!

Congratulations on the nominations. Now for the win!!!!! A big thumbs up to your camera guys as well!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back