Caribou Gear Tarp

Some broken hearts never mend.......

Foxtrot1

Posting on another thread made me remember this story:

In 1997, my brother and I took our first trip out west for a rifle mule deer/elk combo in Colorado. My brother Randall had always(still does) had a fetish for big freaky mule deer bucks. The year before our trip, I don't think I made it an entire day without having to listen to his ranting about them. Our home became a stockpile of mule deer hunting videos and every magazine published about western hunting during the countdown before heading to Colorado.

Once on the ground, he was like a kid waiting on Christmas morning. We were hunting a private ranch that had some alfalfa fields the deer were piling into. On the drive into camp, we saw some respectable bucks and that only fueled his fire. We were paying a trespass fee for a group of us from Alabama to hunt about 5k acres. A "friend" had arranged the hunt and by the time we were on the ground, the group had swelled to the point there were 14-15 of us stacked on the 1 ranch. Randall and I quickly got tired of the sea of orange from out group and started branching out to the adjacent forest service lands that were on the back side of the ranch. We were on the 4th day and hadn't seen anything to get too excited about, so we were moving into some rougher ground looking for some places to set up and glass for deer coming out of the hills in the afternoon. Since we were down to 1 rifle we had been stuck together. It was his turn to carry the rifle, so he got the first look over the ridge we were going up. Suddenly, he threw his pack down and dropped into a prone shooting position using his pack as a rest. The first shot echoed across the canyon. He quickly reloaded and cracked another round off... then another. After that last shot he rolled onto his back and started fist pumping, kicking, and screaming. Even to this day, I have never seen him so ecstatic. I rushed up to the top to see what he had shot and I couldn't believe it. There was a GIANT mule deer buck laying on the opposite ridge across from us. Randall had shot him in his bed and he hadn't even gotten up! We ran all the way down our ridge and back up to the buck, that was laying under a juniper tree. When we got there, Randall was so excited he dropped to his knees in front of the deer and just sat there, speechless looking at him. I couldn't believe my brother had shot this deer. It was easily 180-190", 30" wide, 5x4 with trash kickers on both sides. He was everything you want a big mulie to be. It was the biggest deer I have ever seen, had to be pushing 300lbs. After a few minutes, Randall reached out tentatively to grab one side of his antlers to move him. We he grabbed him, the deer didn't move. Randall tugged harder. He wouldn't budge, he was pretty well frozen . We both realized it at the same moment. I started laughing hysterically and he sulled up pouted like a wet hen. We didn't know it at the time, but one of the other guys in camp had gut shot him the previous day when he was down in the alfalfa and he had made it up into the hills to bed before he expired. He was perfectly tucked into his bed, just like he was laying there.

To this day all I have to say is "remember when you shot that frozen deer, not 1x but 3x?", whenever I want to get his hackles up or if he gets too big for his britches..

What's your best "Too good to be true" hunting story?

I killed a bull elk in his bed one opening day evening as he was breathing his last ragged gasps. Earlier that morning we had run into the elderly bowhunter that lost his blood trail on a quartering away angle. We called him on the phone and flagged a trail out to the edge of the trees visible from across the clearing. I killed my own 3 days later.

I was perturbed that I never got my arrow back...

Did he tag it? Was the meat good?

He was going too. We needed help getting him down and went back to camp. That's when we found out someone else in camp had shot him. Randall let the guy that originally shot him tag it. They were able to cape it, but I dont remember how much of the meat was salvageable.

That is a sad story.

Many years ago I climbed a steep mountain into a small but very elky patch of spruce-fir to stalk through the soft duff. It's a favorite place I hunt one day most every year. At one point I looked down to see a nice 5x5 buck mule deer stop broadside and give me a long stare. I made a quick look with binoculars--I think it was when there was a point restriction on deer in CO--then took the shot. It was perfectly behind the right shoulder and he dropped immediately.
When I got to the animal I was horrified to find that his lower jaw had been shot off. Some other hunter had made a bad shot and the buck was surely suffering. It was a mercy killing and I believed he wanted me to take him. I dragged that poor deer a mile and a half down the mountain to camp and while successful it was probably my saddest hunt.

My brother in law has been my hunting buddy for the past 18 years. We are from Wisconsin and we are lucky enough to hunt private land. In fact, this year will be my dad's and uncle's 50th year on our land. We have about 350 acres. I know that doesn't sound like much to you western guys, but in WI, that's a big property to hunt. When you enter our land, you drive down a small hill heading east on a gravel road and on the north side of the driveway/gravel road is an ag field that was filled with corn at the time. Next to that runs a tree line, and then a small marsh. On this tree line stood one mighty oak tree with great branches which ran north to south. We decided to build a permanent stand out of treated wood in this particular oak tree. It ended up taking us about 2 hours but we got it done and like God said on all days of creation..."it was good." My brother in law wanted to put a game camera on this oak facing the corn. We found deer beds just north of the oak in the marsh and figured it would be a good path the deer would take to get food in the evening.

We set the camera up just before we left in hopes that it would get us some pictures of what was moving on our land. The next weekend was the archery opener. At the time, these were the cameras that you actually load with film. We loaded a new film canister in the camera, made sure it had good batteries, set it and left. About a week later, we returned to find the corn picked and the camera loaded with pictures. Unless it's the rut, we usually only hunt the evenings, as deer movement in the morning is scarce and it is usually in the marsh anyways where the deer bed.

It was about 1 pm and we were going to shoot our bows a bit and eat a sandwich before we made it out to our stands. We had a few other stands around the property and my brother in law wasn't keen on using that big oak tree now that the corn was gone. My brother in law who is more impatient than me, tries to convince me to run into town and get the film exposed. There were over 100 pictures on the camera and he just couldn't wait to see what was on it. I told him it could wait but he wouldn't have it so off he went to find a one hour photo place that would develop the pictures.

I shot my bow, ate my sandwich and still had about 15-20 minutes before my brother in law got back. I finally see his truck come down the driveway/gravel road and he parks next to my jeep. My brother in law gets out with his hand just full of exposed pictures. This got me really excited so I jumped up and asked if there were any deer on any of them. My brother in law says "yup, everyone of them." I couldn't believe it! "Every picture has a deer on it?" I ask. "Yup, there's a John Deer on every pic" says my brother in law. The camera took 108 pictures of a John Deer Combine shelling corn. I had no idea that the farmer was going to take off the corn so early but this particular year he was using the stalks for bedding. My brother in law grabs a sandwich and sits on his tailgate looking absolutely defeated. The funniest part of this story is that after my brother in law takes the first bite of his sandwich, a big John Deer combine comes barreling down the gravel road and stops by our trucks. Vince, the farmers hand gets out of the combine and asks if we have seen any deer. Vince hunts a property kitty corner to ours. My brother in law shows him the pictures and they just so happen to be Vince combining the corn. Vince says "hey, thats me" and asks if he could have one of the pictures. My brother in law gives him all 108 of them. Every time I drive by that oak tree, I think of that story.

That is a sad story.

Many years ago I climbed a steep mountain into a small but very elky patch of spruce-fir to stalk through the soft duff. It's a favorite place I hunt one day most every year. At one point I looked down to see a nice 5x5 buck mule deer stop broadside and give me a long stare. I made a quick look with binoculars--I think it was when there was a point restriction on deer in CO--then took the shot. It was perfectly behind the right shoulder and he dropped immediately.
When I got to the animal I was horrified to find that his lower jaw had been shot off. Some other hunter had made a bad shot and the buck was surely suffering. It was a mercy killing and I believed he wanted me to take him. I dragged that poor deer a mile and a half down the mountain to camp and while successful it was probably my saddest hunt.

This is why I cringe every time I hear or read, "I head shoot my deer so I don't destroy any meat."

ClearCreek

Maintenance man and his Pop hunted a piece of public pretty regular. One day, they were driving on a road and saw a great buck just standing there. Pop pokes his gun out the window and shoots. Buck just stands there. He shoots again. Still stands there. Then a voice comes across a speaker saying “please stop shooting our deer”. Needless to say, that cost Pop some money.

IA gun season mostly consists of party hunting drives and shooting at moving deer. Safety is pretty marginal, as are ethical shots at animals.

The last year I participated in this style of hunting I joined a new group of about 15-20 people and I was given instructions where to post up. As the new guy I figured I was covering a marginal escape route and unlikely to see anything.

When I arrived at the spot I wasn’t exactly clear on where I was supposed to set up and where the other posters were. I picked a spot in the open where I could be easily seen by others, and where there was one obvious clear shooting lane into an opposing hillside.

I was there maybe 10 mins and deer started pouring off the hill like water. Maybe 15 does and fawns plus two 160” bucks. I could have had a double at 50 feet but I just sat there dumbfounded and missed one of the bucks as he walked by. I imagined a hero pic with a bulging rack in each hand as an experience I’d likely never again be afforded. That image still burns in my mind, but as time passes the allure wears off, as being out there with my bow making a challenging stalk is more rewarding experience.

Thsi story kinda reminds me of how I dreamed about shoot a big buck with my flintlock all my life. I finally got one and I was so very excited and when I picked its head up off the ground to look at the rack I pulled one of its horns right off its head....lol

Says a lot about a person right there.
To me, it really depends on the situation. My ethics on the topic has always been that as long as the original shooter is actively still working his ass off to recover the animal he shot, its always his no matter what. I even gave up a deer I finished off for a neighbor that only grazed its belly. The minute the original shooter gives up, they give up their claim to that animal.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back