Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Solo guy needs your thoughts?

BigRon

Gentlemen, need your advice.
I'm a 66 y/o who is bow hunting Montana elk this season. Important! I will be hunting solo. I've scouted some 300 units (with good griz populations) but most everyone I've talked to says it's a bad idea to solo hunt there. I have a life of outdoor experience, feel I am well informed and equipped, BUT I don't want to be stupid. I need a backup plan in bear free (limited) areas. What would you do if you were me? I hunt eastern Montana for mulley's and have seen a few elk there but it's spike or antlerless only - which I might have to settle for?? What am I missing?
My Plan so far. Hunt the 300 units and get a feel for the area and situation. If it's not right head out. Your thoughts??
Thanks!

Gentlemen, need your advice.
I'm a 66 y/o who is bow hunting Montana elk this season. Important! I will be hunting solo. I've scouted some 300 units (with good griz populations) but most everyone I've talked to says it's a bad idea to solo hunt there. I have a life of outdoor experience, feel I am well informed and equipped, BUT I don't want to be stupid. I need a backup plan in bear free (limited) areas. What would you do if you were me? I hunt eastern Montana for mulley's and have seen a few elk there but it's spike or antlerless only - which I might have to settle for?? What am I missing?
My Plan so far. Hunt the 300 units and get a feel for the area and situation. If it's not right head out. Your thoughts??
Thanks!

I guess the real question is your own personal comfort/risk tolerance. Sure you may get people blasting you about solo hunting in grizzly country but I would have to say if you are experienced in grizzly country, have a "VERY GOOD" understanding of seasonal habits and a solid handle on your abilities to neutralize/avoid grizzly encounters, there is no difference between 3 guys hunting together when it comes to a grizzly attack/encounter. An encounter/bad outcome is just that. 3 guys won't make the outcome any better (although you may have a better chance of scaring off a grizzly with 3 vs 1). Im strictly speaking of a "bad outcome encounter".

I spend so much time in the mountains/backcountry (NOT grizzly country) on my own anymore during scouting that sometimes my mind will wonder (what if?). It's always better to be with a partner, not only for "basic safety" but sanity and enjoyment. I personally don't have much issue (over 40 years of outdoor experience) with being on my own. Don't get me wrong, I have surely at times made decisions based on either a feeling or an encounter that has sent me back to my truck/home. Plenty of scenarios in the wilderness that can take out even the most experienced outdoorsman. I had a cat work me for over 20 minutes one time while on my own and scared the sh*t out of me. The hair on the back of my neck still stands up thinking about it.

I personally am not a trophy hunter and when it comes to elk my preference is cows and spikes anyway, specially 1-2 year old animals. The absolute best eating (my opinion) so mitigating your risk choice my vote would be to do a cow spike hunt in a low grizzly area. Just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the real question is your own personal comfort/risk tolerance. Sure you may get people blasting you about solo hunting in grizzly country but I would have to say if you are experienced in grizzly country, have a "VERY GOOD" understanding of seasonal habits and a solid handle on your abilities to neutralize/avoid grizzly encounters, there is no difference between 3 guys hunting together when it comes to a grizzly attack/encounter. An encounter/bad outcome is just that. 3 guys won't make the outcome any better (although you may have a better chance of scaring off a grizzly with 3 vs 1). Im strictly speaking of a "bad outcome encounter".

I spend so much time in the mountains/backcountry (NOT grizzly country) on my own anymore during scouting that sometimes my mind will wonder (what if?). It's always better to be with a partner, not only for "basic safety" but sanity and enjoyment. I personally don't have much issue (over 40 years of outdoor experience) with being on my own. Don't get me wrong, I have surely at times made decisions based on either a feeling or an encounter that has sent me back to my truck/home. Plenty of scenarios in the wilderness that can take out even the most experienced outdoorsman. I had a cat work me for over 20 minutes one time while on my own and scared the sh*t out of me. The hair on the back of my neck still stands up thinking about it.

I personally am not a trophy hunter and when it comes to elk my preference is cows and spikes anyway, specially 1-2 year old animals. The absolute best eating (my opinion) so mitigating your risk choice my vote would be to do a cow spike hunt in a low grizzly area. Just me.
Thx ntodwild! i luv hunting alone but I don't hunt in griz country. My concern is if I get an critter. Gutting and return packs jobs. I am thinking of local help for $ if it comes to that. Thanks for your thoughts!

I have people at home and at work that make my life a living hell if I were to venture into Grizzly country solo. That is the only thing keeping me from doing it.

Their assertion is that if someone is with me that there is someone to watch my back. I've hunted in Griz country with my father and uncle and they no longer can stand the anxiety that accompanies it, even though there is damn good elk hunting in the unit. Some people thrive with the stress of the potential of an encounter. Others can't.

I cannot speak to the risk in the units you are looking at. I do follow an outfitter with a ranch and elk camps in the HellsRoaring drainage who has been charged while on horseback in a group, so it is a possibility, and I hunted within 30 miles of where the guide was killed by a griz in Western Wyoming. The stories aren't heresay.

I liken it to walking into a rough bar. 1) is it worth it? 2) can I handle it? 3) Am I willing to accept the worst outcome, and is it still worth it?

Welcome. I’ve hunted solo quite a bit in grizzly areas.

I have people at home and at work that make my life a living hell if I were to venture into Grizzly country solo. That is the only thing keeping me from doing it.

Their assertion is that if someone is with me that there is someone to watch my back. I've hunted in Griz country with my father and uncle and they no longer can stand the anxiety that accompanies it, even though there is damn good elk hunting in the unit. Some people thrive with the stress of the potential of an encounter. Others can't.

I cannot speak to the risk in the units you are looking at. I do follow an outfitter with a ranch and elk camps in the HellsRoaring drainage who has been charged while on horseback in a group, so it is a possibility, and I hunted within 30 miles of where the guide was killed by a griz in Western Wyoming. The stories aren't heresay.

I liken it to walking into a rough bar. 1) is it worth it? 2) can I handle it? 3) Am I willing to accept the worst outcome, and is it still worth it?
Thx! Great thoughts!

In bear country, you should make some choices as prepare for the adventure. Bear spray, handgun, both or neither? Day hunt or camp away from road/trailhead? What distance can you pack out the meat in the terrain you are entering? If camping, need to hang food off ground but how far and do you use a bear fence? Will you have communication capability if sprain an ankle since is likely cell coverage likely will be spotty?

Fatalities from bear attacks are very few per year in the West. You can improve your odds further by how you handle your food, not sneaking into tall brush patches and being very observant/noisy in low-light conditions.

When you knock your bull down, move the meat away from the carcass so can view from 100 yards or more as return to pack out another load of meat.

I am hiking into grizzly country this October and is only second hunt with grizzlies. Saw wolves and a grizzly on the first hunt and no aggressive behavior was encountered. Knock on wood.

Good luck on your hunt!

If possible pick your camp out of the bear highway. A spring isolated not near a main trail on a side drainage above the main drainage would a target of my interest. My calling spots would be such that I could have visibility in many directions. I would travel in short blocks with a lot of listening in between. Watch your wind and your scent.

It should be a good time but will require caution and attention to your surroundings.

I was Whoa...Randy has a live camera feed as he works out?
😆gotta pay for that subscription 😎
In bear country, you should make some choices as prepare for the adventure. Bear spray, handgun, both or neither? Day hunt or camp away from road/trailhead? What distance can you pack out the meat in the terrain you are entering? If camping, need to hang food off ground but how far and do you use a bear fence? Will you have communication capability if sprain an ankle since is likely cell coverage likely will be spotty?

Fatalities from bear attacks are very few per year in the West. You can improve your odds further by how you handle your food, not sneaking into tall brush patches and being very observant/noisy in low-light conditions.

When you knock your bull down, move the meat away from the carcass so can view from 100 yards or more as return to pack out another load of meat.

I am hiking into grizzly country this October and is only second hunt with grizzlies. Saw wolves and a grizzly on the first hunt and no aggressive behavior was encountered. Knock on wood.

Good luck on your hunt!
thx! Agree with all!!
If possible pick your camp out of the bear highway. A spring isolated not near a main trail on a side drainage above the main drainage would a target of my interest. My calling spots would be such that I could have visibility in many directions. I would travel in short blocks with a lot of listening in between. Watch your wind and your scent.

It should be a good time but will require caution and attention to your surroundings.
great wisdom diamond hitch! I think I could still throw one, been a while.

Can I say that You guys that always say welcome to hunt talk on a post like this are just Dicks. Honestly ,If you don't have nothing to say to help the New guy don't say nothing at all. in my opinion. You are wasting everyones time.You could have a few small tips, but most have never or never will hunt the areas These guys are asking about. i guess you just wanna see your name on here .LOL.........................BOB

One thing that puts me at peace in grizzly country is the fact that I have life insurance...😂 If I get mauled or devoured by a bear, I hope that my passing will encourage the federal delisting of the species and finally enable them to be hunted. Becoming bear scat would save my family from paying burial expenses.

Really this is a question only you can answer. I’ve done it and will do it again. I take the usual precautions, bring bear spray and even bring a side arm because it just gives me added mental comfort.
As someone else stated, try to avoid high brush areas. The only time I was really nervous last year was while scouting. I was going through a section of brush where I couldn’t see past a few feet all around me, I thought I’d just go through it, but when I started to encounter lots of very large and very fresh bear scat, I just backed out of there and found another way around the area.
Also, just for some perspective, there is probably more risk right now to anyone’s health by venturing into a supermarket, especially without a mask on, yet people do it and probably without a care in the world.
There is also more risk every time you get into a car to go anywhere, yet people accept that and move on.
Bottom line, there is some level of real risk by going into griz country, especially solo. You are either comfortable accepting this risk sufficiently so that it won’t ruin your hunt, or you aren’t.
One last note, MT is a big state and there are plenty of areas not in Region 3 on the gen tag that hold elk and no griz, if you are so concerned just hunt one of those other areas instead.

I’m also a first time MT hunter and planning to head to the SW and 300s. I wasn’t avoiding griz areas but just trying to be informed and know what to expect and what precautions to take. For those of you in the area, do you feel like the griz areas on this map are accurate? If so it seems like there’s also a lot of the SW and 300s that are unlikely to have any griz. True? https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/es/species/mammals/grizzly/2018GBdistributions&RZs.v2.jpg

If I were you I would go for it and hunt where you want to. Yes, there is some risk with grizzlies but you have the experience so use that experience to avoid having a bad outcome.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back