Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Soliciting help/thoughts for my 11 points

radman

I have been lurking on this site for years and joining in when it made sense. Hunting elk is my thing even though I am not very good at it. It is just an indescribable high for me.
I solo hunt and at age 62 life could throw me a curve at most any time. I have always rifle hunted for elk as solo with archery can be tough, though that is an option.

I have been researching for weeks now on different units which drew with 6 - 10 points in 2022 knowing that I will need to choose one shortly. No plans for a 300+ bull just a great experience.

- Which areas/units should I seriously research prior to application time?

My ask is that only generic replies be posted on this thread and that specific reactions/ideas be sent via private conversation.

Thanks everyone for a very informational forum.

Last edited:
Chance that price increase on special side can slow point creep enough for you to catch up in a few years, maybe only two or three.

Alternative idea, since you have the ability to research and scout areas you could do a general tag in reg draw with that many points, easy. Could be an incredible hunt and you can do it as soon as this fall

Following this, but after talking to a Wyoming biologist at the WSF show in Reno a general tag is most likely your best bet! I have 10 pts.

Rifle will be the focus as I hunt solo but could do archery also. Plenty of time as I am retired.

Last edited:
I have a friend that lives near Sheridan. He says the hunting is great in 38. If you didn’t draw in 2023, you should be able to draw 38 in 2024.

Aw crap....I'm responding to a necro thread....Well i'm gonna get on my soap box any way....

I'd take a 4 point unit I knew like the back of my hand as opposed to a 10 point unit I'd never seen before.

Don't let Sunk Cost Fallacy make you choose a unit because some internet strangers say there are big bulls behind every tree and no other hunters (if you only had a couple more points) . Pick a unit that has the kind of terrain and weather and season you enjoy. If you want to hunt bugling bulls in the high alpine then don't choose an Eastern WY unit with a late season tag.

Spend the money on the memberships to do research on units or put in the time to go through the States websites yourself, and make a Hit List of units. Then do searches on all the forums for the guys who mention the units and tags to determine if that unit is what you researched it as.

Nobody is gonna hand out free ice cream cones or unit advice.

Welcome to Hunt Talk...
I have a friend that lives near Sheridan. He says the hunting is great in 38. If you didn’t draw in 2023, you should be able to draw 38 in 2024.
I'm sure your buddy appreciates you recommending his hunting unit to the world. Don't be surprised if he kicks you in the dick...

Chance that price increase on special side can slow point creep enough for you to catch up in a few years, maybe only two or three.

Alternative idea, since you have the ability to research and scout areas you could do a general tag in reg draw with that many points, easy. Could be an incredible hunt and you can do it as soon as this fall
Haha that is wishful thinking. Point creep for the special will be statistically the same.

Well, did you draw a tag?
Not sure what being 62 has to do with it! I’ll be 62 next week and headed to Colorado in October solo. Planning on Wyoming next year.
Get in the best shape you can, thumbs up from the doctor and pick up a inReach for peace of mind.
Go hunt and enjoy yourself.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back