MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Soft case or hard case?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Need to purchase a new scopes rifle case, and I’m curious as to the prevailing preferences here? I don’t fly with my guns, and doubt that will be a concern for the foreseeable future. Leaning towards a Boyt, which is what I use for my shotguns.

Thoughts?

I purchased a Nomar rifle case last year and love it. I spend enough time carrying rifles over water that I think it's paid for itself.

I really like my double-rifle Pelican case, but have only flown with it once. The guns fit very snug and the case is heavy duty.

I have a double rifle pelican-made Browning TravelVault. Ridiculously heavy but a completely safe case for any form of storage or travel. It gets stuffed in the back of the truck every November going to NM and I don't have to worry about it being crushed or getting wet. Hard to beat in my opinion.

I have both hard and soft cases. The hard case(s) are covered in dust. They are heavy and eat up a ton of real estate. 98% of the time, it's a soft case. My soft cases are the green, quilted Boyt cases w/ the exterior pocket that holds a box of shells

I have a Pelican Double rifle case, a Boyt Rifle case, and a Cabela's Extreme Rifle Case. When I am loading a rifle into the truck I go with the Cabela's 95% of the time. I like the Boyt, but it isn't very rigid and seems like it offers the least protection, I have had it for probably 15 years and it barely gets used anymore. I use the Pelican if flying, or if moving multiple rifles that are going to be loaded in the bed with a bunch of other gear.

Those Normars look sweet. The other one I have fondled a bit, is the Kolpin Dry Armor. It is super expensive, but is waterproof and super rigid/padded. I am not sure I have seen a soft case that give as much protection as that thing. I wish they made it in Hivis yellow or orange for hunting from a boat.

What I spent on my rifle/optics, and the time at the range, I don't take any chances on my rifle. I have a Pelican double for my main hunting rifle. I use it to and from camp and on trips. They are bulky, and heavy, but they are bulletproof which gives me piece of mind. I have a soft case, for the occasion I need one in camp.

Ha

I purchased a Nomar rifle case last year and love it. I spend enough time carrying rifles over water that I think it's paid for itself.
I just got one of these as well, definitely the route I would go if I was getting a soft case.

Aside from being waterproof, and floating it has a roll top closure instead of a zipper which is a huge plus in my mind. The roll top doesn't get stuck like a zipper with and is much quicker to open, I've already blown out the zippers on two rifle cases.

I also have the pelican double for flying.

Last edited:
I am another with the Pelican double rifle. They are really heavy but when traveling a good distance with a load in my truck I want the piece of mind that I am good. Add to that the versatility of being able to fly with it and I am happy with it.

I hunt by boat a lot which is my main reason for the cases, but also have come to like having the case for the truck. Shotgun I have a soft floating case. Use a variety of hard plastic cases for my rifles since the scoped rifle won't fit in the soft case. After seeing wllm1313 and Schaaf's post I'm going to buy one of those for next season.

Hell, there was a long span of years I didn't even have a rifle case. In the back window, or next to me on the seat to and from. I have been using the canvas and leather Boyt's cases for awhile. Have a hard case but don't use it as I only hunt locally. Well, except when I drive all the way across Montana. Still use a soft case. mtmuley

I've got hard cases, soft cases and soft cases with hard plastic on the sides where the scope and the action is. Out of all of them, I like the hard-sided soft case the best for rifles. Lightweight and protects the vitals.

I've got the double Boyt, and it's a great case but it's heavy. I have some of the lighter hard-sided cases, but they are failing after 10 years. Like all pieces of gear, you get what you pay for, and in terms of cases, the higher the dollar figure, the heavier the thing is.

I think my hard-sided soft case is an Allen, not sure. Wasn't terribly expensive and I'm not sure they're even made anymore.

I have a Pelican Storm double case. I grew up with cheap plastic hard cases or random soft cases. While it is a little heavy, I appreciate knowing the case is bombproof and offers max rifle protection. Also, I have no qualms traveling with it in the bed of the truck, or since I sleep in the back of my Xterra frequently, I'll often pull out the rifle case overnight and leave it next to the rig. Buy once cry once made sense for me for a rifle case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back