MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

So it happens.....

Looks like a little more of the story here.
There it is. That paints a little different picture than an unprovoked attack. I’m not saying violence was the answer, but instead of tagging and processing the downed elk maybe a call to a game warden would’ve been better. If I thought I needed to process an elk so it didn’t spoil I’d give it to the individual(s) who claimed it without protest.

2 wrongs don’t make a right, but they will make broken jaws and criminal charges………..

There it is. That paints a little different picture than an unprovoked attack. I’m not saying violence was the answer, but instead of tagging and processing the downed elk maybe a call to a game warden would’ve been better. If I thought I needed to process an elk so it didn’t spoil I’d give it to the individual(s) who claimed it without protest.

2 wrongs don’t make a right, but they will make broken jaws and criminal charges………..
1666704400663.png

Found Carcasses

Handley told investigators that he later found the carcass of a cow elk that had been partially processed, but still had much of the meat left on it. So, he took the tenderloins off the carcass.

Handley and Boster said their hunting party also later found the untouched carcass of a bull elk. After contemplating what to do, one of the hunters in their party put his hunting tag on the bull’s carcass, the affidavit says. They processed the carcass and took the meat back to their camp.

Moral of the story....if you didn't shoot it, don't tag it. Especially don't process it.

Be careful suggesting there is more to the story. This is written by a reporter, not by the people that were in the altercation. I am sure there are facts left out, but to say that "there is more to the story" implies the the victims somehow were at fault and the reader has NO BASIS for that assertion. How would you like to be a family member of the victim and read that interpretation of some reporter's story?
lol.

I bet before this over, there will be some game violations involved.

Why partially process the cow, but leave the bull?

Sounds to me like there is a possibility somebody was going back to camp to find a tag. Maybe the guy from Wyoming that recently took up residence in CO.

Last edited:
nah call the game warden and tell them you found what looks like an abandoned unprocessed carcass with coordinates.

def no obligation to tag it.
I guess my question is what would you do if you found fresh kill on a hot day and no one was around and you’re away from cell signal?

Like the blue mountain bull episode of meat eater but you never find Steve and Janis.

nah call the game warden and tell them you found what looks like an abandoned unprocessed carcass with coordinates.

def no obligation to tag it.
You are correct, there is no obligation, that's true of lots of ethical dilemma's.

The problem with that is, some have to sleep at night.

I wouldn't feel good about walking away from a recently killed and apparently abandoned animal and letting it rot.

I guess thinking this through, the “victims” knew the other group had elk down. They found elk that fit the description. I would’ve told the other group where they were and left it at that.

I wouldn’t tag someone else’s elk? But if I found one and couldn’t find the people I’d probably do my best to cool and save the meat then look for the person who shot it and turn it over. I’d hate to let an elk lay and rot and have a person a day or 2 later ask me if I’d seen one, knowing I left it to waste…… idk. Kind of a moral conundrum.

I’d assume by starting to process you’d be legally bound to tag it since you are solely “in possession” at that time.

You are correct, there is no obligation, that's true of lots of ethical dilemma's.

The problem with that is, some have to sleep at night.

I wouldn't feel good about walking away from a recently killed and apparently abandoned animal and letting it rot.

agreed. i wouldn't want it wasted.

but simply put, you're not legally obligted to tag it if you find it, as you know.

come across a carcass on a hot day? not certain what i'd do. are the shooters searching for it, did they run back to camp real quick cause they accidentally left their knife in the tent/truck, did they shoot the wrong sex and bail, was it poached?

i'm at least putting a proper degree of effort into determining the answers to those questions before i tag it.

I bet before this over, there will be some game violations involved.

Why partially process the cow, but leave the bull?

Sounds to me like there is a possibility somebody was going back to camp to find a tag. Maybe the guy from Wyoming that recently took up residence in CO.
I wondered the same thing.

Seems like between taking meat off someone elses animal, tagging an animal they did not shoot, residency issues, etc some game laws were likely broken.

There are a certain number of things that fall into "Not my Problem Territory" for me. These are things that could put me in a situation that looks bad or worse than it really is, or makes someone else's problem my problem.

No good deed goes unpunished seems to ring true for me more times than not. That won't make me not help someone stranded alongside a deserted road, or no help a hurt or lost person in the back country. I just know that at that point i am taking on their problems as well as my own and I need to think about if it is prudent.

One scenario I've been conflicted on is heading out with one empty pack horse and come across a backpacker with a bull to pack. What do I do if I arrive at the trailhead and a game warden asks me for the tag for the half of elk I'm in possession of? The back packer is still 2 miles back humping out the antlers and has the tag? Maybe the GW heard of some illegal outfitting going on and I'm caught with the goods.

If there is an immediate need for intervention for a person whose life or health is in peril, then I'll certainly intervene.
There is also a rule in First Responder training. Don't create more victims.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back