So it happens.....

@TOGIE and @DouglasR

Remember this one… castle doctrine versus stand your ground… but pretty ridiculous and the shooter wasn’t charged… the drunk college girl was…

I’m pretty familiar with that incident. The Make My Day law makes a lot of sense to me. Stand your ground is still far less clear cut overall from I gather, and obviously has nothing to do with home.

But yeah, I really appreciate make my day laws. No one should have to do much questioning, stopping to consider, or thinking about the consequences or legality when someone has broken into your home, your last sanctuary, your families place of rest.

Blast away. That’s the only time I’ll say that lol

Last edited:
I’m pretty familiar with that incident. The Make My Day law makes a lot of sense to me. Stand your ground is still far less clear cut overall from I gather, and obviously has nothing to do with home.

But yeah, I really appreciate make my day laws. No one should have to do much questioning, stopping to consider, or thinking about the consequences or legality when someone has broken into your home, your last sanctuary, your families place of rest.

Blast away. That’s the only time I’ll say that lol
Point I was making was that the CO castle doctrine requires the occupant to believe the intruder is committing a crime or using physical force against them. Now if charges weren’t filed against shooting a drunk teen girl stumbling around then I don’t think the guys getting assaulted in WY would have been charged either.

My point is not so much about guilt but to your comment about worrying charges would be filed, and having to go through a trial.

Point I was making was that the CO castle doctrine requires the occupant to believe the intruder is committing a crime or using physical force against them. Now if charges weren’t filed against shooting a drunk teen girl stumbling around then I don’t think the guys getting assaulted in WY would have been charged either.

My point is not so much about guilt but to your comment about worrying charges would be filed, and having to go through a trial.

most likely, but as i understand it the make my day law/castle doctrine is meant to be extremely loose. e.g. guy broke into home and has hands, criteria basically met, blast away.

outside of a home there still needs to be some pretty legitimate threats to life and safety, even under stand your ground right?

make my day has a pretty uniquely and remarkably low bar for justified killing. i just don't think such a low bar exists outside the confines of a personal residence.

Last edited:
most likely, but as i understand it the make my day law/castle doctrine is meant to be extremely loose. e.g. guy broke into home and has hands, criteria basically met, blast away.

outside of a home there still needs to be some pretty legitimate threats to life and safety, even under stand your ground right?

make my day has a pretty uniquely and remarkably low bar for justified killing. i just don't think such a low bar exists outside the confines of a personal residence.
I think that's spot on.

Back