Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

So I want to go on a goat hunt....

Was on a few of those hunt's in my younger days and would like to try it again some time but they think my hunting pardner is just to dangerous for those sheep areas now days.

Nathan,

I haven't put a whole lot of though into this process but I'll take a stab at it. See if this logic works for you. ID hunting license fee $155 X 10% chance of drawing. (Fees may increase in the future) total of $1550 plus @ $2000 for the tag. ( In 10 years that tag might cost $2500 or more). Your looking at ten years and over $3500 just to get the tag. Through in another $1500 or more for the expense the trip and your looking @ $5000.

If I were in your shoes, I'd start saving and get on a couple of outfitter's from AK and BC cancellation lists. If you're flexible about when you go you could save several thousand by taking the spot of a canceled client.

What are goat hunts running up there now days. I would think that you could find a pretty good hunt for under $7000.

Factor in ten years (you'll be 52) and $5000 and you'll probably get your ID billy. That is unless draw odds get terrible or tags get even higher. If your carefull and lucky you could probably get a fully guided cancellation hunt for the same money and much sooner.

Thats the way I see it.

As far as going DIY... I would not recommend going solo. Goat country is nasty, dangerous, and needs to be respected. A couple good partners are necessary IMO.

Gerald,

I keep coming down to the same thought process. The DIY thing means something to me, but I do realize hunting goats solo isn't recomended and completly understand why. Finding a buddy that will travel thousands of miles to trek up and down a mountain without a tag in their pocket is a pretty big thing to even ask someone. Thinking through the whole DIY vs. outfitter thing is different to me on a goat hunt than it would be hunting elk on private land with an outfitter or something like that. I sincerely doubt I could go on any goat hunt in the world and not feel like I accomplished something when it was all said and done. One of the BC hunts I looked at said that they hike 2 days in from based camp to spike camp just to start hunting goats.

I saw several BC hunts for under $10k. Some of those had add on's for moose or caribou that were very reasonable too. I don't think I would travel to to Canada just to hunt moose or caribou, but as an add on hunt, that seems somewhat attractive.

The other HUGE benefit to me on the outfitter route would be the ability to plan for it. I drew too many tags this past year and my wife was not happy with me by the time hunting season drew to a close. (We ran out of freezer space too). I would probably draw the goat tag in another year when I had too many other tags already in my pocket or a year with a lot of other vacation committments.

My son will be in school next fall and won't be able to go on our annual Wyoming elk hunting trip, maybe I'll take a year off of hunting elk in Wyoming and go to BC and hunt goats instead! I'll save $1,000 right there not buying a special general tag.

Screw that. It will make memories to last a life time.
(Bowing in obescience...) "We are not worthy! We are not worthy" :) It would definitely make some memories, Miller.

I'm not implying that a solo hunt can't be done, its just that I wouldn't recommend it.

With the disclaimer that I'm almost totally a DIY guy myself, I wouldn't hesitate to go on a guided goat hunt with a reputable outfitter. Goat hunting is different than deer and elk in that it usually isn't too difficult to find the goats, but having someone with multiple goat hunts under their belt can really help in determining trophy quality and gender of the goat. Trying to judge the size of a goat is like trying to judge the size of a bear, all you have to go by is the animal itself. A big bodied goat's horn's might not look big and a small bodied goat's horns might look large.

Gerald,

I was just having some fun. I have been on two guided goat hunts. I had fun both times and might do it again if I can find some coin. I have been lucky enough to draw MT twice and went solo both times (well once with my pup). Nothing against partners, but I did have two hunts that were very rewarding and ones I will never forget. I hope I am lucky enough to pull another one while I am still able to pull it off.

Any goat hunt is a good hunt.

I agree with some of the others; continue to apply, but book a good hunt in AK or BC and enjoy one of the greatest hunts out there.

Miller, I knew you were just funnin'. I knew you drew two Montana tags but I didn't know you had gone on two other goat hunts. I think I really hate you now.:)

After being in on three Montana goat hunts, one formyself and two with friends I think they are my favorite animal to hunt.

I agree with some of the others; continue to apply, but book a good hunt in AK or BC and enjoy one of the greatest hunts out there.

The best advice in the thread. Don't limit yourself to just one goat!:D

You can book a good goat hunt in AK for $6,000. Might not kill a booner, but you will have a fun hunt and kill a mature billy.

Working on the paperwork to start applying in Colorado and Idaho. For some reason you still have to apply with a paper application for Colorado for sheep and goats and I couldn't find the hard copy of the application anywhere to fill out. I sent them an email and requested a hard copy of the brochure, I guess there must be an application form in that.

Talked with the wife yesterday and she almost choked when I mentioned the part about if I went on a BC goat hunt I could add on a moose hunt for just a little bit more. She zeroed right in on that and said what's a little bit. When I said $3,000 or so she about choked. But really, a license for moose if you draw it in the lower 48 is going to be pushing up close to that as a nonresident. It would seem crazy to not at least try for a moose if I was already up there for that price. I've already decided that I would go with a european mount so it wouldnt' take up so much space on the wall! ;)

I've got to get my ducks in a row on planning vacations out over the next couple years. I need to make sure and add in a nice caribean cruise in there for her so she won't complain so much when I end up booking a goat hunt!

I like you am going to put in for Colorado and just start to build up points. I called a good hunting buddy and he's going to do the same so maybe in 10yrs or so we can go. I almost want to start putting in for my son as well since he will be 19yo in 10 yrs and what a hunt that would be. I need to look that up and find more info.

Okay, getting down to the nitty gritty on application time.

I have my Colorado application filled out and ready to go, I just have to write out a check for $1,854 to include with it for the 10% chance or so at shooting a nanny goat.

I guess this is where I decide if I'm really serious about going on a goat hunt or not! :D

It sure would, but they don't take online applications for goats and sheep and I didn't see anywhere on their form for a credit card number.

They seem pretty picky about their forms, they won't even take a copy of the form and it has to be filled out in black ink.

I sent the check in last week, so I guess I'm serious about it!

Last edited:
like you am going to put in for Colorado and just start to build up points. maybe in 10yrs or so we can go. I almost want to start putting in for my son as well since he will be 19yo in 10 yrs and what a hunt that would be.

That's a joke. Waiting for 10 years to hunt?, and putting in for others is crapola too....takes away opportunities, decreases odds for all.

I may have missed something and sorry if I did but where is the information that drawing in ten years is a likely occurrence? I have 3 plus 8 weighted points, that is 11 years of applying and no goat tag. I have a friend that is 3 plus 10 and he has not drawn. It might be one year but it could also be never. Good luck to all and I hope I get a goat tag somewhere this year.

Just sent in my application for Idaho. Glad I didn't wait until the last minute because they wanted $67 for their online convienience fee! I think 44 cents and a snail mail check is the way to go. I went ahead and bought the hunting license online and paid the fee for that though.

Probably a waste of money, but someone has to get lucky right?

Pretty odd application process when it is all said and done. Just print off the little form, fill out your 2 hunt codes and mail a check for $2,116.50!

I think that was my last application. I might break down and buy a couple more supertag chances, but nothing else to send in for a while. I've got some $ out there right now in application and license fees, hopefully I won't get it all back!

Nathan

$67 is crazy. I wonder if it is a NR thing or a typo/glitch. It's usually $6 for residents.

Back