So I want to go on a goat hunt....

I doubt it's a typo or glitch. Montana has something similar. I put in for Moose, Sheep and Goat online and paid a "convenience fee" of $59.93 on $2300. There was no such fee if mailed. I would assume that this fee for online processing helps them to defray the merchant fee charged to them by the credit card company for processing the transaction. I guess it's just the cost of doing business....

That's a joke. Waiting for 10 years to hunt?, and putting in for others is crapola too....takes away opportunities, decreases odds for all.[/QUOTE]

are you serious? for one you don't even have a chance until you have 3 points built up..He is talking about putting in for his son so they can hunt together. all in all that is just a total RATARD statement right there...for most a bighorn sheep hunt is probably going to be a once in a lifetime if at all :cool:

Well looks like I struck out in Colorado and Idaho this year. Missed on the Colorado raffle as well. Still have a tiny chance on a Utah tag, and have some Montana supertag chances, but not looking very promising on a goat hunt this year for me.

Still have a New Mexico Elk and Mule deer application out with decent odds, but the drawing odds for every other application outstanding is less than 1% combined.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but not expecting much.

Nathan

Me and a buddy went with Mike Hammett on a goat moose combo several years ago in BC. We both got our moose (both over 50") and goats both over (91/2) and had the best trip ever. I still bet you can go for both under 10,000 and like you said, you can plan it, and know when you are going to go. Go while you are young and healthy. I bet Mike would also do a goat only.

Got my first application in for 2012. Wyoming Unit 1. Didn't realize that Wyoming was 100% random draw on goats with no preference or bonus points. Was 1.5% draw odds last year, pretty pitiful, but for the net cost of the $14 application fee about the best bang for the buck out there. They do get to hold onto my $2,000 for almost 4 months though! :(

I would look hard at applying for Kodiak Island if you're serious about a getting a good goat.

Draw odds aren't too bad and goats are REALLY good.

Sucks you have to use a guide but I know a guy on Kodiak who is excellent and pretty reasonable.

My .02, but it might be a good option, I can't draw diddly in Montana.

30 years for moose, sheep and goat and 1 goat tag to show for it.

:mad: Just looking over my Colorado application information and they changed the season date on the nonresident nanny goat tag. :mad:

It would overlap my Wyoming antelope and elk hunts almost exactly. I've already applied for and received my Wyoming elk tag and I'm pretty much guaranteed to draw my 2nd choice antelope tag so this is going to be a tough decision.

I would hate to apply and get the tag and have to burn $1,500 worth of Wyoming tags. I guess there would be a very slim chance to tag out early on the nanny goat and then head up to Wyoming for the rest of the week. I could just burn the antelope tag and still maybe get in an elk hunt if I tagged a little later and if it took the full 2 weeks I would just eat them both I guess.

Only about a 5% chance to draw the tag so 95% chance I won't have to worry about it.

I guess I'm going to go ahead and apply for it.

Remember why those draw success rates are so high on goats in Idaho. The out-of-pocket costs are high every year and you have to choose sheep or goat or moose in Idaho. You can't pay the application fee and then apply for all three. It helps the odds considerably, especially for goat since most people who are willing to kiss the app fee goodbye are applying for sheep.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was wrong on the way I was figuring the Idaho draw odds as well. They look to be about twice as good as they really are by the time you figure in the 10% nonresident cap.

What I thought was going to be about an 8% draw odds last year on my unit I applied for ended up being closer to 4% when it was all said and done. Still 4% is pretty good odds on a lower 48 nonresident mountain goat billy tag with no points.

I completely understand the dream of applying for the tags in the lower 48.

Going back to the original post, I'm still of the opinion that if you really want to goat hunt, book a hunt now for 2013 or 14 in AK or Canada.

You could be using a walker by the time you pull a tag.

Then again, 2012 could be your year of the billy goat.

Last edited:
Ironically I drew a mountain goat tag last year in NW Montana. I am a resident and doubt I will ever draw another sheep/goat/moose tag. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would consider both options. MTG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back