Snowcocks down!

1_pointer

I didn't shoot 'em, but a guy at work shot 2 snowcocks this year in NV.
Mark_with_Snowcocks.jpg

Mark_with_snowcocks_1.jpg

Mark_with_Snowcocks_2.jpg

He stated that this was as rewarding as any deer or elk that he's shot. Took him three years to connect, but sure looks happy!

Very nice. The country looks just like what's been described to me. No dogs? Are they too wary?
WD

He only ate one, the other is on the way to the taxidermist. Said it was akin to chukar, but tougher.

I don't think they used dogs. One was shot passing and the other while on the ground. He said they like to run much more than fly.

So they do exist! Very cool pics. 1 Ptr, is your coworker likely to share any info? If not, I respect that.

I'm not sure, but I can ask. Though I may not pass it along as I'm tagging along next year! ;) Do you want to know the where part I'm guessing? I do know that he advises against taking a dog, says it's a good way for it to die.

1_pointer, Thank you and your friend for sharing the pics, many kudos to your friend, Good Luck, JLG.

That looks like it would be OK for a dog, but I don't know if I could carry enough water for me and the dog both. Anyway, thanks for the pictures and tell your buddy I said congratulations. Does he see any bighorn sheep around there?

No, they didn't see any sheep, but they were hunting ABOVE mtn. goats! It'd be pretty cool chasing birds above 11K feet!

I'm looking for general areas, no specifics. I'm not sure if my knees are ready for another vertical adventure quite yet.....Although, packing one of those out would be much easier than a ram....

1 pointer, could you repost the pictures a friend of mine is interested in going after these guys, Thank you, JLG.

I spoke with pointer yesterday. Looks like he will be off-line for a while as he is chasing swans this weekend and defending his thesis next week. I will drop him a line at work to see if he can make a quick stop in and post the pics. His buddy shot some this year as well and the pics turned out great, so hopefully he can post a few from '04 and '05.

Thanks again, JLG. Just now seeing this thread (there's a lot of reading to be done on this site for a newbie ;)).

Wow! Sweet pics. I recognize that first one from the NV regs. This guy's famous! :D I'd love to hear the details behind these hunts if anyone knows them. I shot a limit of ptarmigan this year in CO at 12,500 ft with a buddy of mine, but they were easy to kill once found. This looks far more interesting though, except the part about leaving the dogs at home. :(

I'd love to hear the details behind these hunts if anyone knows them.
What do you want to know?? In '04 he shot the first one passing shooting as it flew from its roost and jumped the second. In '05 he played cat and mouse with a flock before getting two with one shot as they flushed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back