Smoke Pole Tactics

Bascott1

So backstory is I've hunted this unit a couple times, wound up killing a 6x last year. Had another shooter 30ft across a fence on private the year before but didn't shoot (obviously). Have had hunters in our group take decent bulls out of that area every year. The whole area is tore up with rubs and tracks and good wallows with a couple good watering holes. I'm a complete elk hunting idiot, but my question is, I get on elk every year 1st and 2nd rifle. Dark timber area and high elevation 10,000+ I've google earthed the area and found terrific habitat further than what I've been going. I drew a muzzleloader tag this year and wondering. Do I keep hunting that area first day or push back further into deeper canyons, Dark timber, water and decent looking meadows with no roads. What would be the best attack plan for that area?

Sorry if I’m overlooking some details but what are the dates of the muzzleloader hunt compared to the rifle seasons you’re used to hunting? That will make a big difference if the time of year is a lot different.

The muzzleloader hunt is Sept 8th thru 16th. The rifle hunts were Oct. 15th area.

Grab a bugle and let 'er rip tater chip! The bulls should be coming down to the cows to start getting their harems together. If you've always seen good sign in the area, why move? No sense in passing good habitat that you know holds elk to get to habitat that you think might hold elk. Do you have any indication how many muzzleloader permits were released? Is there a decent chance you'll have other hunters coming into your honeypot? I'd say start close with what you know, then work your way back if you don't find any bulls that want to play ball. Stay mobile, cover ground, use that bugle tube.

Grab a bugle and let 'er rip tater chip! The bulls should be coming down to the cows to start getting their harems together. If you've always seen good sign in the area, why move? No sense in passing good habitat that you know holds elk to get to habitat that you think might hold elk. Do you have any indication how many muzzleloader permits were released? Is there a decent chance you'll have other hunters coming into your honeypot? I'd say start close with what you know, then work your way back if you don't find any bulls that want to play ball. Stay mobile, cover ground, use that bugle tube.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This right here. Start with what you know. You can always go further later. One piece of advice that has helped me keep my own personal and restless hunting tendecies in check is "never leave elk to find elk".

Not sure if you have archery hunted the unit before or not, but elk hunting during the rut with anything more than a bow is damn near cheating---That being said, I would do it every time I had an opportunity and I would have a great time doing it...

Looks like about 150 tags for a 1400 sq mile unit. I've hunted the area 4 years and have only seen 1 person in there.

Never bowhunted the unit and first time this early. Hope the rut gets kicking and get to have some fun.

Find the cows and you will find the bulls. I would not push in further if your have rut sign/activity in the area you have always hunted. Get your hands on some diaphragms calls you like and get use to them, wear them out. Good luck!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back