Smarter Than Felis Concolor (Mt Lion)

poormanslam

In September camping with family I decided to get out and scout an area on the map i had always wanted to go. I saw quite a few deer but only one buck. The buck was the best I had found during the summer scouting sessions and turned into my top buck for the Idaho General season. I went back a week or so later to confirm what I had seen. My lookout to watch this buck was at just under a mile. At one point when the buck turned his head it looked like a little 36 inch Satelite Dish on his head. I am a "if it looks good, shoot it" type of guy, this buck was just that. I knew he wasn't a high scorer but good enough looking to me especially for an Idaho general unit. I brought a friend in to see him and confirm that he was a true main frame 30-35 inch mule deer. My friend said 30 but I still thought he was a touch wider. I could not make the opening few days of the hunt so my friend went in to see if he could close the deal on him. With opening day being a Friday we knew it was probably going to be heavy competition and of course it was. He saw the buck but watched it get spooked by some other hunters. He left and I started the hunt on day three. Deer activity was miniscule the next three days compared to the week before. My friend showed up again on Wednesday and we saw no deer. We decided we needed to push the trees where we last saw the buck. One thing led to another and somehow we closed the deal on Satelite Dish. I thank my good friend for all of his help scouting, strategizing and packing.

Attachments

• 2014GeneralMuleDeer005_zps9f97ef79.jpg
    2014GeneralMuleDeer005_zps9f97ef79.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 703
  • 2014GeneralMuleDeer008_zpsf6e1e955.jpg
    2014GeneralMuleDeer008_zpsf6e1e955.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 2014GeneralMuleDeer013_zps61f8a9f6.jpg
    2014GeneralMuleDeer013_zps61f8a9f6.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 716
Great buck! I surely wouldn't pass on it. Congrats.

As we were breaking the buck down I found a weird mark on the bucks back, at first I thought the buck had been fighting but that seemed peculiar this early in the season. Upon further inspection there were multiple marks with the longest being 12 inches long and also a bite looking mark. It was now apparent that these marks were from a predator obviously a mountain lion. The marks looked fairly fresh so I sent the pictures to a Fish and Game vet. The vet guessed them to be only a few weeks old. I guess we were that close to losing the opportunity as this cool buck.

Attachments

• IMG_1524_zpsb1bc30dc.jpg
    IMG_1524_zpsb1bc30dc.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 708
  • 2014GeneralMuleDeer027_zps23b1a838.jpg
    2014GeneralMuleDeer027_zps23b1a838.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 710
  • IMG_1528_zps6ed90be5.jpg
    IMG_1528_zps6ed90be5.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 702
Very nice - congrats. The cat scars are really cool too. I don't know if you are going to do any taxidermy on that - but it would be cool to preserve those scars if you can.

You are right I should have preserved that part of the hide, but I didn't, I blew it. Did not even think about it until considerable time had passed.

Great public land deer for our area! Those cool scars are just a bonus, great story

Back