smaller caliber gun coyote, javelina, coues deer

ktgonyer

Folks,

Looking for help on a new rifle. I think I decided on a .243 maybe a remington or savage. I know some of you are more experienced than I. Any suggestions? I have a 30-06 model 70 which is great for big game but need something for smaller animals. Thank you

.243 is a great caliber. We could fill this thread with pages and pages of best caliber/ gun etc., but I think your decision is solid.

There's nothing wrong with a 243 it's a great coyote gun especially for windy days. Lots of great new options also.

243 would be a good choice. A good 87/90 gr bullet would do for everything.

You can't go wrong with that choice. The .243 has proven it's self time after time and you can find ammo and reloading components most anywhere.
Plus, since it isn't the newest hot caliber that everyone is after right now, a good used rifle can be had in a wide variety of manufacturer models, for some money saving over a new one.

The .22 cal cf is a great option and with the proper bullet (lots of options) and shot placement will put your intended target down and with room to spare.

P.S. I am needing new tires for my truck?

.223? even that is overkill for javelina and coyotes.

Pistol-cartridge lever gun?

Just thinking outside the normal bolt rifle box.

Killed many whitetails, mule deer, and antelope with a .243 and never had to shoot them more than once.

I'll toss in & agree with Loco. A 22/250 would be the cat's ass cartridge for zapping critters of small stature. Better yet! Get a 22/250 & rebore it to a 250 Savage !!! Now we're talkin' Bad Ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hump:

I'll toss in & agree with Loco. A 22/250 would be the cat's ass cartridge for zapping critters of small stature. Better yet! Get a 22/250 & rebore it to a 250 Savage !!! Now we're talkin' Bad Ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hump:

And make it a single shot.

22-250 was made for that.

Plus if you get it in a classic like a rem varminter, it will have the best resale value.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back