Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

smaller caliber gun coyote, javelina, coues deer

I would not go with a 22 center fire, personally. They work fine, but the .243 gives more room to spare on the deer. I have shot the .243, 6mm Rem, .223, 22-250 and now, I would hands down buy a 6.5cm. You can shoot 100-grain bullets, up to 147 depending on which ammo you want to use. It has an ever-increasing array of ammo from several companies and all the factory ammo shoots lights out, from what I have read (I only hand load). A few months back, I converted a Rem 700 22-250 to a Creed and it has become my favorite rifle. Another good option is a .260, but the factory offerings are not as prolific and the ballistics are virtually identical to the Creed.

Remington and Savage rifles both shoot real well. I have always been a Savage fan and they are very easy for a smith to re-barrel, due to their barrel nut system.

I have been killing whitetails and mule deer since I was 12(almost 40 now) with a 22-250 loaded with a 64 grain bullet and have taken more than I care to count. We also have a .220 swift in the family that my dad has shot all my life and that thing is deadly accurate and has taken tons of deer also.

Yep, dozens of deer/antelope have fallen to either a 22-250 or 223 here as well. I know a few others that have done a lot of clean killing with a 22 CF. Out of easily 50+, I lost one very large mule deer buck back in the 80s (high school) that I never did recover. That one still haunts me to this day. Keep shots under 300 yards and in the vitals and the results are impressive. Lots of other options and clearly the 22 CF is not for everyone; especially those not anal about accuracy.

If it were me, it would be a toss up between the 22-250 and the 243. I have never killed a javelina but have smoked a pile of yotes with 22-250's and 223's. The 250 is a killer. If deer were an option, it'd be the 243.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back