Small stream fly set up.

mevertsen

I like fishing small creeks. Really small creeks. Creeks you can step across.

I normally fish an ultra light and dead drift a worm or small spinner into small pools.

I would like to get a small, short fly rod set up for fishing these small creeks. I would even like to work towards the Nevada slam which requires some really challenging situations.

I am looking at something complete that I can take with me everywhere.

Here is a set up I'm looking at.

That is pretty short for a fly rod, and at 4 pieces is likely not to cast very well. I like something like a 7’ or 7’6” 3 weight for small streams. It is short enough to keep the tip out of the brush but long enough to load with some line out.
That is what I use on my small river, but a 6' 2 weight would work for what he requires.

Make a rod, it's not that difficult, ask @Sawtooth

Redington 7’ 3wt Butterstick for a more affordable rod. Heard good things about the Sage Dart, but never cast one myself.

I used to have a 6'6" 2 weight IM6 rod. That thing was a noodle and didn't cast flies above a size 10 very well, and it had a soft butt so fighting fish was always a problem. Sold it for some reason, probably to pay rent back in the day. I've also got a 25 year old St Croix Imperial 8' 4 weight that shoots line very well.

I have a 8'9" Sage LL 3 wt that will never part from me unless it gets stolen. Best small water rod I've ever cast. Plenty of spine for bigger dries and you can cast a nymph if needs be. Mountain streams are tons of fun, but don't short yourself on longer casting ability by using a tenkara rod or a really soft 2 weight. 3-4 weight rods are awesome. You're going to end up finding long pools with trout rising at the head of them, and tricky presentations. Get something that has reach, and still offers a delicate presentation. High Country trout can be stupid, but they can be highly educated as well, especially the bigger ones.

I have a 8'9" Sage LL 3 wt that will never part from me unless it gets stolen. Best small water rod I've ever cast. Plenty of spine for bigger dries and you can cast a nymph if needs be. Mountain streams are tons of fun, but don't short yourself on longer casting ability by using a tenkara rod or a really soft 2 weight. 3-4 weight rods are awesome. You're going to end up finding long pools with trout rising at the head of them, and tricky presentations. Get something that has reach, and still offers a delicate presentation. High Country trout can be stupid, but they can be highly educated as well, especially the bigger ones.
Shorter rods have their place, and I agree so do longer ones, if you aren't restricted by over hanging tree's/branches that is.
I went fishing with my friend last week, he uses a full range (mind you he has access to great equipment in his job) and I was impressed with his 10' 3 weight, he was using it for control of his drifting nymphs and it worked a treat.
Tenkara is for people that can't cast a fly:LOL:

The trout you will be targeting as Ben says above will require delicate presentation, so use a fine tippet.

Sounds like my kind of fishing

Cheers

Richard

if your fishing that small of a creek couldnt you just use an ice fishing rod lol. Only partially kidding. How much more packable could you get tho.

I fish skinny water, a lot. I've been in the northern part of NV in some of those places you are talking about. My go to is a Cabela's CGR 2wt. Its a glass rod, so it flexes really nicely on those 2-6" fish but still has enough to play a 18" cuttie I caught on a dry. It's a finesse rod, purely a dry fly rod, which in those types of waters, if you find a pool, it won't be real deep but it will be clear and they will rise for it. I have a Reddington aluminum reel that has a clicker, which I hate. So get one without that sound effect. Its cool the first couple of times and annoying the rest of your life. Since the BPS takeover, they have been selling a White River glass rod that is about $30 more, but it too is a good rod for the money. It's also shorter by about 8" which I prefer for those overgrown creeks.

Also, FWIW, I carry all my 2wt stuff in one fly box, flies, extra small hemos with cutters, an extra leader and 6x tippet. Whenever I spot a small creek I grab the rod and the box and I am gone.

I don't know if its still being made by I have a Temple Fork Outfitters Cutthroat tenkara rod which is 8'6" of small stream joy. The entire kit weighs 4 ounces and I've scooped up pounds of fish with it. You can cast it like slingshot in tight quarters.

My go to is a Cabela's CGR 2wt.

I bought my wife the CGR 5'9" 3wt and even as a novice caster she loves it. Perfect for the creeks full of 6-8" rainbows we typically fish. I built myself a 7'6" Blue Halo fiberglass 3wt and it's a hoot as well. Both are great for trout, but even better for catching feisty bluegill. Those little bastards will bend the fiberglass all the way to the cork.

I fish skinny water, a lot. I've been in the northern part of NV in some of those places you are talking about. My go to is a Cabela's CGR 2wt. Its a glass rod, so it flexes really nicely on those 2-6" fish but still has enough to play a 18" cuttie I caught on a dry. It's a finesse rod, purely a dry fly rod, which in those types of waters, if you find a pool, it won't be real deep but it will be clear and they will rise for it. I have a Reddington aluminum reel that has a clicker, which I hate. So get one without that sound effect. Its cool the first couple of times and annoying the rest of your life. Since the BPS takeover, they have been selling a White River glass rod that is about $30 more, but it too is a good rod for the money. It's also shorter by about 8" which I prefer for those overgrown creeks.

Also, FWIW, I carry all my 2wt stuff in one fly box, flies, extra small hemos with cutters, an extra leader and 6x tippet. Whenever I spot a small creek I grab the rod and the box and I am gone.
Exactly the idea I have in mind.

Looks like I should be looking at around 8 feet. Number 2 or 3.

I have caught Reband trout on the Bruneau and Meadow Crrek as well as LCT in Eureka County, plus I like fishing the Toiyabe Range.

Fun stuff.

I am still in the hospital on COVID-19, but my dad and daughter both have deer tags. I hope to get a little fishing in this fall.

I will be turning my cow elk tag in to help heal though and get ready for my sheep in December.

Thanks guys.

I've have a 6'6" 2wt I built years ago just for fishing little brushy brookie streams back east. It's great for it's purpose but my go to rod for small streams these days is an 8' 3wt that I bought at a garage sale some years back. The longer rod does quick roll casts and "bow-and-arrow" casts much better than the shorter rod.

I have been doing a lot of creek fishing this year. I use a 4wt 8'4" rod. I am going into some tight places, like need to keep things in the rod tube until I get to the creek. I suggest the longest rod you can get away with. I am very rarely doing any back casting. Just flipping it into a piece of pocket water, or doing a pendulum swinging thing to drop it in there. I always use a dry fly with a dropper. The water is always swirling, so the longer rod helps keep the line out of the water. Now, if you have a bunch branches over the stream, that is a different story. The places I have been fishing are thick along the bank but I'm okay once I am in the stream.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back