Small 4x4 truck with best fuel economy?

^^^ TFL is a good resource.

My favorite place to check specifically fuel economy in real world driving conditions is www.fuelly.com.

They have millions of miles of real fuel calculations and you can compare different motor combinations to weigh the benefits of increased power vs decreased economy.

If fuel economy is important to you, the Ford Maverick Hybrid is tough to beat.

Screenshot_20220701-214546_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Serious question - when you get a new sticker how do you decide which cehicle to put it on, car or truck?
Easy now. Beer fridge. Before it was whatever I was driving. For a long time we only have the truck and the car, and I drove the truck so stickers went on the truck, then my wife got a new car and I started driving her old car so stickers went on that one. Now it's just the beer fridge.

Easy now. Beer fridge. Before it was whatever I was driving. For a long time we only have the truck and the car, and I drove the truck so stickers went on the truck, then my wife got a new car and I started driving her old car so stickers went on that one. Now it's just the beer fridge.
I have a strict “no sticker” policy on my truck, so they get split up between meat freezer, toolbox, and work toolbox that’s basically my mobile office.

First truck was a low-miles, used '83 Toyota SR5, 4clydr. Towed an 18+foot jet boat with a 454 (everywhere in northern Ca). Fun times. Worked out of it making calls on customers from CA to TX. Texans laughed - until they saw the boat. '-) It wasn't fast or powerful, but it never let me down. Some A$$hat stole it and destroyed it or I'd probably still have it. It was an incredibly useful vehicle.

Bought an '05 4RNR, V8. 7,200lbs towing capacity. Used it to call on customers, tow a Mastercraft and to hunt out of - mostly in northern mid-west for whitetail. Fished out of it too. Loved it. We parted ways when it got totaled in an accident with 16,000 trouble-free miles. I had no plans to sell it. In fact, I planned to drive it into the ground, as that model with a V8 is not replaceable.

Bought a '14 4RNR, V6. 4,700lbs towing capacity. It won't completely replace my '05 in terms of towing or general power/torque, etc. But in today's market, I made some compromises. I don't tow a heavy boat anymore (maybe a lighter fishing boat is in my future), but I think I will end up with a teardrop or some other trailer.

I looked at some Lexus GX models during my search, since they still had V8s. Sadly they also didn't seem to fair as well as the 4RNR. Every one I looked at had front axle bearing issues and went through brakes (both pads and rotors) regularly. Maybe they were just that much heavier than the 4RNR. I couldn't get comfortable enough to trust one.

I've had many sedans and started out in Corvettes. Fished and hunted out of all of them (buy what you want boys...'-). Gas mileage/cost hasn't ruled my decision making, but I agree that the V6 isn't much better (if it even is at all) than my V8s. I'd of gotten a V8 model, given the availability at the time.

Just my experience. It sucks that we can't get V8s (good ones), in smaller SUVs and trucks anymore.

I
First truck was a low-miles, used '83 Toyota SR5, 4clydr. Towed an 18+foot jet boat with a 454 (everywhere in northern Ca). Fun times. Worked out of it making calls on customers from CA to TX. Texans laughed - until they saw the boat. '-) It wasn't fast or powerful, but it never let me down. Some A$$hat stole it and destroyed it or I'd probably still have it. It was an incredibly useful vehicle.

Bought an '05 4RNR, V8. 7,200lbs towing capacity. Used it to call on customers, tow a Mastercraft and to hunt out of - mostly in northern mid-west for whitetail. Fished out of it too. Loved it. We parted ways when it got totaled in an accident with 16,000 trouble-free miles. I had no plans to sell it. In fact, I planned to drive it into the ground, as that model with a V8 is not replaceable.

Bought a '14 4RNR, V6. 4,700lbs towing capacity. It won't completely replace my '05 in terms of towing or general power/torque, etc. But in today's market, I made some compromises. I don't tow a heavy boat anymore (maybe a lighter fishing boat is in my future), but I think I will end up with a teardrop or some other trailer.

I looked at some Lexus GX models during my search, since they still had V8s. Sadly they also didn't seem to fair as well as the 4RNR. Every one I looked at had front axle bearing issues and went through brakes (both pads and rotors) regularly. Maybe they were just that much heavier than the 4RNR. I couldn't get comfortable enough to trust one.

I've had many sedans and started out in Corvettes. Fished and hunted out of all of them (buy what you want boys...'-). Gas mileage/cost hasn't ruled my decision making, but I agree that the V6 isn't much better (if it even is at all) than my V8s. I'd of gotten a V8 model, given the availability at the time.

Just my experience. It sucks that we can't get V8s (good ones), in smaller SUVs and trucks anymore.
I would still have my LandCruiser, but some idiot T-boned my daughter in it literally the first day he had his license. Saved her life though. She wasn't really hurt, just some bruises.

I

I would still have my LandCruiser, but some idiot T-boned my daughter in it literally the first day he had his license. Saved her life though. She wasn't really hurt, just some bruises.
My 82 Toyota 4x with the 22r 4cyl. could tow 2 horse trailer and go anywhere. Sold it for more than I paid to get larger cab & auto...blown knees. Had 565k on it and it's still running with a million on it last I heard.
I'd love it Toy came out with a midsize with a large torquey 4 cyl or another good v6. Milage and power.

Showed the kids a Tacoma today and convinced them it was pronounced Taco Maa. It’s a truck for moms who like Tacos. Helped that a woman was walking up to it to get in with groceries. Yep kids that must be Maa headed home to make her kids some Tacos. Lol

We'll see how the latest gen V 6 does. My current Tundra will outlast me though, barring a wreck.

Can Am Maverick X3 turbo

My dad saw mine for the first time and said
“That’s not the hunting model”

I got a gun rack and bow case mounted now so it’s looking more like a hunting model

My 82 Toyota 4x with the 22r 4cyl. could tow 2 horse trailer and go anywhere. Sold it for more than I paid to get larger cab & auto...blown knees. Had 565k on it and it's still running with a million on it last I heard.
I'd love it Toy came out with a midsize with a large torquey 4 cyl or another good v6. Milage and power.
Still have 1983 my 4x4 Toyota short bed. The only rig I ever bought new off the lot. It's been tipped over at least three times. It's waiting to become my SEAK Assualt Vehicle. SWB = cheaper to put in the ferry. Kinda hard to stretch out in the 5' bed though.

OP has come and gone but it's hard to pass up sharing one's opinion: if you've got a 4x4 dually then you already have a truck. Why get another one? For fuel economy? That makes no sense. The more of a "truck" it is the lower the fuel efficiency. You can get a hybrid Maverick and get a. 40mpg truck but its the the most advanced and least truck-like truck in the USA. Or you can spend $120k and get an electric Ford. But if you want a reasonably efficient vehicle you get a modern (2015+ hybrid) of some sort (SUV, crossover, wagon, etc) with AWD.

The math on these types of things never works out to being a better option by buying a second vehicle to save on gas or keep mileage of another vehicle. Dedicating the funds you have to maintaining and driving your current truck is pretty much your best way to go. Whatever extra you have set aside for the next truck after your current diesel becomes no longer worth maintaining/driving. I think as guys we ask this question because in truth we just want another toy. I'm just being honest with that though haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back