Slugs?

Ben Lamb

Just picked up an 870 and a fully rifled slug barrel. Went to sight it in yesterday and it clearly didn't care for the cheap old S&B 1 oz slugs, but seemed to do okay with the 300grn SST Hornady slugs (about 1.5 inches at 50 yards). Held about 2 inches at 50 yards with the 3" rifled slugs from Winchester though.

Anybody use a slug gun and could recommend a slug that won't cost $12 for 5?

Last edited:
I use a slug gun every year here in IN. $12/5 is cheap for slugs. Though it's kinda expensive, it truly is a trial and error deal. Both of my dote on white box Lightfields. They've also shot well with Federals and Remington Copper Solids.

Not set in stone, but typically fully rifled barrels due better with sabots vs. foster type slugs. Also, FWIW, I've yet to have a 3" slug shoot better than the 2.75" version of same.

My browning bps with hasting barrel will touch the sst's at 100 yards. If you can handle the kick of the gun. Very accurate but terrible to sight in

Federal 2 3/4 in sabots. Cheap and super accurate out of my Mossberg 500 20 gauge. A box of 5 can be had in Townsend for about 8 bux.

Not sure I want to put 20's in a 12 ;)

Anybody reload slugs?

Just do it, the accuracy is so much better and the performance of that fast moving "20" will knock the crap out of anything it hits

As a general rule you don't want to shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel. Sabots for a rifled barrel or smooth bore with a rifled choke, rifled slugs for a smooth bore with a standard cyl/I choke. However you can't argue with good groups. Should also confirm your regs to ensure sabots are legal where you hunt. I like brenneke slugs but haven't seen them around here.

Thanks Guys. I've got a few weeks to play with it so I'll try a few different types.

The concept is to have an inexpensive hunting gun that can do most everything with the cheapest ammo I can find that shoots well.

don't forget that in Montana you can't use a sabot slug during a shotgun season, same for muzzle loaders. Should be good during general with them though. At least that is how I read the regulations.

don't forget that in Montana you can't use a sabot slug during a shotgun season, same for muzzle loaders. Should be good during general with them though. At least that is how I read the regulations.
Where do you see that? The commission was considering it, and did it for muzzleloaders, but I didn't think it went through for shotguns.

Last edited:
That's a muzzleloader only regulation for weapons restricted areas. Sabots in shotguns are just fine.

Ratfink is right about the shotgun sabots being ok. It's a funny loophole I exploited by buying a savage 220f that shoots lights out to 150 no problem. Mine loves the Remington accutips. They ain't cheap but they are excellent.

Always wondered why they had the sabot restriction on Muzzleloaders. Anyone care to venture a guess on the reasoning behind that one?

The way it was told to me some while back was regarding weapon restriction areas. The addition of a "superior" gas check system was like reinventing the rifle and therefore pushed the restricted part to far. I don't know how valid that is, accuracy does improve some but not really the range. I personally feel it's like lighted arrow knocks. Don't make me shoot farther or outside legal limits, just helps in the ultimate recovery of an animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back