Took the Pumpkin Roller for a walk!

elkrchr

I bought a Remington Gamemaster Model 141 (chambered in .35 Remington) a few years back. According to the serial number, it was manufactured between 1946-1948. I had a gunsmith go through the gun and make sure it was in proper working order before I sent any lead down the barrel. I did have the front sight replaced with a red, fiber optic sight to help with target acquisition in the field and on the range. The gun came with the original peep sight sight as well. I picked up five boxes of 200 grain Remington Core-Lokt SP bullets and took the old beauty out by the house for a little field practice. Fired three shots from a sitting position at 50 yards and they were nearly in the same hole! Went out to a friend's place and shot it at 100 yards from a prone position and put two out of three in the same hole about 1.5 inches high. I couldn't believe how accurate this gun is.

Fast forward to this past fall and I had a mule deer doe tag burning a hole in my pocket. My friend had a big group of mule deer hanging around in his kale field and he told me to get out there and make it happen. I drove out to his place early one November afternoon and brought my son along for his weak mind and strong back. Shortly after arriving, a quick stalk had us within 145 yards of the herd. The first shot hit mid body and a quick second shot dropped her. I am definitely going to start carrying this rifle more often during season as it is really fun to shoot and imparts a lot of nostalgia!

Attachments

• IMG_7338.jpeg
    IMG_7338.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7346.jpeg
    IMG_7346.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7368.JPG
    IMG_7368.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 77
Love it! That’s a sweet Remington and it sure looks like you had fun as well.

Anmoseek has a few offering for it:

Great hunt and beautiful rifle. I find myself drifting toward hunting with old rifles myself. Thinking about trying the 303 British this year on a whitetail

Dad has a Model 8 that he’s killed a few deer with. Very quick target acquisition. Great balance.
I came across this reading about it -

Remington created four new calibers for the Model 8 rifle: .25 Remington, .30 Remington, .32 Remington and .35 Remington.[4] These cartridges were rimless designs to allow reliable feeding from box magazines. The Model 8 was offered in five grades of finish (Standard, Special, Peerless, Expert and Premier) [9] and was the first truly reliable high power semiautomatic rifle ever commercialized (1906).[5]

Back