Sleeping in truck or tent

Unless you’re going to do a base camp sort of deal I’d just sleep in the truck. Depending on temp and what not I’d recommend buying a roll of reflectix and cutting it to fit your walls on the topper. Cheap and easy insulation. Don’t really need it but it helps. I spent almost every weekend in the back of my 4runner this last spring bear season. Just make sure you have a nice pad or mattress to sleep on to make yourself comfy. Being well rested makes a difference in your day

How about none of the above.

I did a trip through CO, MT, ID, and OR last year, 45 day hunting in all. I've got a 4dr Tundra. I took out the back seat and the passenger seat. Then I cut up a 14" memory foam mattress to fit where the seats used to be. Bought 4 memory foam pillows for extra padding where I might need it. If your going to do it, position the mattress to leave some room for your feet underneath the dash. Removing the back seat opens up more room to store stuff behind the drivers seat. During the day I stored equipment on the mattress, at night I moved it off onto drivers seat and floorboard. I also had a heater when I needed it. I had 6 extra gas cans in the back for when I wanted to be mobile for days without having to gas up. I'm 6'4" and I slept like a baby. Had a blast.

Bought the mattress of Facebook for $30 and the pillows from Craigslist for $10 each.
Got any pics? Would love to see that!

It’s all about budget and expenses. What do you already own at this point or what can you spend moving on? You can buy a camper (even used) but get a lot of hotel nights for the price. Would you want one anyway? I’m a shell guy but been enjoying not having one right now. A shell is great to sleep in, store gear, and adventure out of but budgets dictate all. Ha
Going the camper route would be out of my budget. Could definitely buy a new shell tho. The other thing is that I wouldn't want to have to drive around with a camper full time. No room to store when not using it as well.

Going the camper route would be out of my budget. Could definitely buy a new shell tho. The other thing is that I wouldn't want to have to drive around with a camper full time. No room to store when not using it as well.
Sorry meant camper shell not actually camper like truck camper

As in roof top tent? Do you have any recommendations on which tent?
I used to sell RTT’s for a living. For the occasional user you can get any of them really. If you want to use it a lot it’s worth extra money for higher end but most folks don’t use to that degree. Check out Roam Adventure tents via Adventureupoverland.com

Sorry, 0 experience w roof top tents. Pretty sure I'd whizz down the side of the truck in the middle of the night I meant a hard topper that slopes up to taller height above bed @ tailgate. More room to sit up inside and to load taller cargo under topper. Like the one on this Ranger.
100_0821.JPG

I guess I'm kinda liking the idea of going more mobile? If I can convince my wife to come (big IF) then the security of being off the ground is something that will give her more peace of mind.
Just get over the silly idea of a truck tent. Think about it, there is NOTHING more ‘secure’ about being trapped in the air and exposed if being attacked.

And most importantly, you are not gonna be attacked, so get over that irrational concern and the thought that sleeping in an elevated ‘thingy’ is a solution. If afraid of bumps in the night address that before doing these hunts.

Another question. Not sure wherre you live but you speak of doing hunts around the west. Just how far do you think you can travel and effectively hunt on a Thurs-Sunday ‘hall pass’ or whatever you call that wife permission slip. Tiunk nm ore in terms of 7-10 day hunts if you really want to do some serious hunting is my suggestion.

I've spent quite a few nites in my rig over the years... most of September last year. Truck toppers are great, especially if you have one of those drawer systems.. just make sure you have plenty of blankets/pads/bags. It gets cold in those things! 2 years ago I bought a well used Toyota sequoia.. doesn't have the room a truck bed does but for one guy it's perfect. As mentioned crack a window slightly, I use big Tupperware bins if I have much gear with me so I can quickly sit it outside if need be. BE SURE to find as level a spot to park as possible. Also dust is the mortal enemy of anyone who camps in their truck bed.. plan accordingly
Good synopsis. My experience is very similar.

Just get over the silly idea of a truck tent. Think about it, there is NOTHING more ‘secure’ about being trapped in the air and exposed if being attacked.

And most importantly, you are not gonna be attacked, so get over that irrational concern and the thought that sleeping in an elevated ‘thingy’ is a solution. If afraid of bumps in the night address that before doing these hunts.

Another question. Not sure wherre you live but you speak of doing hunts around the west. Just how far do you think you can travel and effectively hunt on a Thurs-Sunday ‘hall pass’ or whatever you call that wife permission slip. Tiunk nm ore in terms of 7-10 day hunts if you really want to do some serious hunting is my suggestion.
Not me, friend. My wife is the one with the concern about sleeping on the ground. Also, I live in Utah pretty much 25 min away from prime hunting. And believe you, me... I will be gone on a couple trips lasting a min of a week. But I want to extend those trips into more shorter trips.

I have a high rise topper and sleep in it a lot, built a platform and don't have to move anything to sleep or load dead stuff. We put a queen size tempurpedic mattress in there for road trips, but the kids are getting too big for all of us now. Tempurpedic doesn't work in the cold though. I like it as a base camp option so I can keep my tent as a spike camp option. Get the carpet/lining if you go the topper route, I also like the side lift windows for easy access.

Spent around 100 nights in my SUV the past decade. Turkey hunts in the spring and fall. Big game hunts in late summer up to early winter where stays below freezing.

Pros:

Can turn on heater is really, really cold. -15F would have been rough in my Hilleberg though have handled 0F in the tent with no heater (I have used those heating pads that are air-activated on cold nights with a muffler around may neck and was fantastic to trick me I was warm).

Never get leak from above when rains or have water seep in the floor.

Bears take a lot longer to chew into. Snakes take a lot longer to crawl into. Mosquitos easy to keep out even if crack window if use netting.

Fast to move to another place if hunting public land and not seeing much. No need to pull a trailer up a forest road where may not go or try to get that trailer out if weather makes the road a mess.

Cons:

Have to empty the SUV so I use plastic bins for my gear so can unload the SUV in 15 minutes, there cover the bins with a tarp to keep out rain and small critters. A cooler big enough to hold a quarter elk when full of ice or ice/meat is a real beast to unload and load solo.

Misc:

A few times I have been when can park so front of SUV is uphill a steep incline and then recline the drivers seat to sleep. Usually have to cram my feet in a sleeping bag then put my coat on backwards. I use a sleeping mask and ear plugs so is always night and dark whether in back of SUV or in the seat. A couple of times have pulled into a rest stop where a lot of truckers and reclined the driver's seat to get 2-4 hours of nap/sleep.

I sleep in my Tahoe from time to time hunting / fishing/ or traveling. Make sure you have a good sleeping pad,
And maybe sides on your bed (or sleep on the downhill side of the rig) otherwise you won’t get as hood of sleep as you could. On a nicer night, a cot beside the truck is my favorite. A wool blanket keeps the dew off your bag and keeps you warm all night.

I would vote for the pickup cap. I've had good luck with ARE. If it's a 30 mph wind driving rain, snow, or sleet ... I would rather be in the pickup cap than a tent. As noted above, store your gear in waterproof plastic totes you can slide out if you need more room at night.

Once I started truck camping I upgraded my Leer to a taller one with carpet lining. Much warmer and more comfortable. I used a Teton Somnia Ultralight cot since it can be placed to the side over a wheel well. Can store stuff underneath and just enough room to sit upright on the cot. Interlocking floor matts from Harbor Freight are great floor insulators. Sometimes I set up a small tent to keep my spot if I'm there for a few days.

LOVE sleeping in the back of my Expedition when possible. If you want to use the whole bed, pack your tools, etc., in waterproof bins that you can sit on the ground while you sleep. I like to use double queen mattress toppers. These roll into bed roll during the day, held with a surf strap. That way I can pile all my stuff back into the truck and lock it up. I use a removable floor mat "bathtub" to keep the bed from getting muddy. During the day it becomes a porch.
20181019_164309.jpg
20180519_090045.jpg
20180519_112322.jpg
20201231_074605.jpg

I’ve spent countless nights in the back of my truck. Getting kind of old for it these days but I still do it from time to time.

I ripped a 3/4” piece of plywood and placed it across the front of my truck bed rails, under my topper. Added a
2x4” stiffener. I store gear in tubs (use clear so as to see contents). I put those up on the shelf and sleep on the bed of the truck. I use a thick foam pad and a good sleeping bag. If I have too much gear I just move stuff out onto the ground at night and load up in the morning.

I'd go raised topper for sure. I've spent a bunch of nights in mine and the extra headroom, especially with a raised sleeping platform is really nice. There is also no setup involved with the topper. For weekend hunts, I lay out my sleeping bag first and then pack around it. Basically, sleeping bag on one side and coolers and maybe a water jug on the other. Everything else goes in the cab or in the drawers under the sleeping platform. You have to get a little clever with your packing, but you've got a big truck so it shouldn't be too hard as long as you don't need a ton of comfort items.

I think a camper-shell would serve you well. You can sleep anywhere you end up in the evening. Anything that won't fit in your drawer system you can put in big totes and move them quickly and easily when you find a spot for the night. A good memory foam pad will make sleeping much more comfortable. A shell will also keep your stuff dry and mostly out of sight while you're out hunting.
No matter how hard the wind blows or heavily the rain or snow falls you'll be nice and dry in you shell, trust me I know.

Back