Sleep Apnea and Hunting ?

Well I just finished a Zoom Call with the sleep center. My at home sleep test showed 259 times I had more than 3% reduction in my blood O2 during the night. I got as low as 63%. I was diagnosed as a SEVERE case. So it looks like a CPAP is in my future..

They make 12 vdc adapters for the cpap. I use it in the semi and bring it with in the camper and in the pickup bed.

A single 100w solar panel left out during the day keeps ahead of the drain it seems.

549BDF1A-C549-4718-873D-8CF9EF8942F5.jpeg

I'll be getting a Jackery portable battery for my CPAP when I'm camping & hunting but I won't be packing it into the high country with me. I'll just suck it up & take naps on the mountain. Sleep apnea sucks but the CPAP has helped a lot & my wife can now sleep!

I’m on the road to this…. And it’s all new to me. Soaking it in. My wife has a video of me on the John- sleeping.. (😂😅) i quit breathing for like 25-35 seconds or something.. it was scary to watch.. I’m starting to feel like im doing it during the day while im at work too.. I don’t notice until I start breathing again..

I’m on the road to this…. And it’s all new to me. Soaking it in. My wife has a video of me on the John- sleeping.. (😂😅) i quit breathing for like 25-35 seconds or something.. it was scary to watch.. I’m starting to feel like im doing it during the day while im at work too.. I don’t notice until I start breathing again..
It will be a life changer, for the better. It was for me anyway.

Anyone try one of these and use a lightweight roll up solar charger?
Z1 PowerShell with Battery with Z1 or Z2 Travel CPAP Machine battery.
If so what should the solar charger wattage be?
It would also need to have a wall socket plug.
C38DECFA-3366-4464-9475-FA5727A72314.pngF84C85B6-F182-446E-BCF8-799F5D4B5779.png

Anyone try one of these and use a lightweight roll up solar charger?
Z1 PowerShell with Battery with Z1 or Z2 Travel CPAP Machine battery.
If so what should the solar charger wattage be?
It would also need to have a wall socket plug.
View attachment 238795View attachment 238796
I got the Z2 a few months back with a different battery. Haven’t tried it on solar but has worked well on a few overnight trips I have used it on. Watch your elevation it’s only rated to 8000 ft. I’m sure it will work above that but might get squirrelly.

Just got off the phone ordering more replacement components for my ResMed CPAP. Anyone here deal with APRIA ? Curious what I could get for off grid travel...

Perfect timing as I'm almost positive that I am about to get diagnosed with something like sleep apnea. Glad to see all the options and thought that has gone into them.

Luckily I have some helpers if I need a machine and power source.

20220701_122522.jpg

I bought a small battery pack (Lion Energy) and bring my CPAP with me. It really helps me have the energy needed to keep going

I bought a small battery pack (Lion Energy) and bring my CPAP with me. It really helps me have the energy needed to keep going
I have something very similar that also works well for me. It's a Jackery brand battery & I charge it with a small solar panel.

During our HT Bear hunts - I recall a friend of one of us joined and had sleep apnea. He had a portable CPAP and it was informative and quite interesting to understand his rationale for the use. He slept like a baby.

Myself? I've been advised I likely have a medical level of need for a CPAP though I'm not at the level to take it on. I sleep on my side and thus far able to avoid the need. Even though it was really informative and boosted my interest to consider a CPAP, I'm not there yet.

I don't recall his name though I believe he was an initial invite of @jryoung and became a returning hunter for future HT Spring Bear Hunts. Full respect if he opts not to weigh in on the convo though it was a good bit of info.

I’ve flown a car battery on a float plane in Alaska twice now.

On my goat hunt spike camp I used a heavy dose of Benadryl, nasal strips and a mouth guard - I was probably 75% on my sleep quality…I know I can get away with it for a day…two in a row and the sleep deprivation really hits me.

It won’t be the last time either. I get 7-10 days on an S8.

All I can say is, don’t quit. There’s an answer out there and it’s totally worth doing.

During our HT Bear hunts - I recall a friend of one of us joined and had sleep apnea. He had a portable CPAP and it was informative and quite interesting to understand his rationale for the use. He slept like a baby.

Myself? I've been advised I likely have a medical level of need for a CPAP though I'm not at the level to take it on. I sleep on my side and thus far able to avoid the need. Even though it was really informative and boosted my interest to consider a CPAP, I'm not there yet.

I don't recall his name though I believe he was an initial invite of @jryoung and became a returning hunter for future HT Spring Bear Hunts. Full respect if he opts not to weigh in on the convo though it was a good bit of info.
Man, you might be surprised at how much better you’d feel. That’s what I couldn’t believe. Before it was 9 hours of ‘good’ sleep and I’d wake up tired as hell. Now I get 6-7 hours and I am more rested than 9. Was a life changer for me.

Head harness with ONLY NOSE PILLOWS. Best way for me.
Any experience out there with those tiny mini nose pillow batt. Operated cpaps? Like 39.00 and buy 2-3 for a week sounds resonable

Interesting to stumble upon this thread.

For probably 5 years now I've had terrible sleep. Sometimes I feel like I catch myself stop breathing even before I fall asleep, at least very very shallow breaths. These past couple weeks has brought me to my wits end though and I'm determined to get to the bottom of it. I even woke up mid dream of not being able to breathe. I never really had an issue until I got into good shape at about 30yrs old. Funny how things work sometimes.
Ill tell you this...my doc told me.."you hear about these ppl that die peacefully in their sleep?...well most of em have undiagnosed apnea and stop breathing" the most undiagnosed killer.

Back