PEAX Equipment

Slams

Europe

Hi Guys. I have been asked about slams and to be honest I dont know a lot about them, as we never "chased" after them, so to speak.

I have been told that I have four

1. The Turkey. but 4 of them were opportunity hunts with friends over the years and one was huntable in my backyard, so the only one we did as a planned hunt was when we went to Old Mexico. But I have gotten all 6

2. The Spain Ibex--but that is only 4 different breed of Ibex's and Spain is the size of Texas and the area where you hunt them even narrows that down, so this could be accomplished in a week or less, if one was so inclined.

3. The Africa spiral horn--but again this is also only four animals and if properly organized these four could easily be hunted in a week also

BRENT----they have black powder hunts for these four for 8 to 9 thousand dollars--you should check it out, it would be a fun hunt for you and it is affordable

4. I have gone way past the so-called North America Ten and I bet several on the forum have also accomplished or gone past this one as well as all you need is 1 of the deer group, 1 of the bear group, etc. this one is reachable for many without leaving their state or close anyway.

The one that would be hard for the average Joe to reach is the North America Super Slam ( I think it is called ) You have to get all 5 deer breeds, all 5 caribou breeds, all 4 bear breeds, all 4 sheep breeds ( I dont know how someone could do this one today ), 3 moose breeds, 3 Elk breeds, goat, muskox, etc etc --this would be a tough one and take some real deep pockets. I think the total is 29 animal's and many of us have taken more than 29 animals, but it is the mix of the animals needed that would make this one pretty tough, I would think

Anyway, possibly, like myself, I never chased a "slam", and perhaps you also dont or have not had any desire to chase one---but some possibly have--so to cover all of us--------

What slams have you finished, or are close to finishing, or are hoping to finish some day-------OR- like me you dont care about "Slams" and in that case---- what animals in North America that you have not yet hunted do you really want to hunt ?

Richard in your case what is left in Europe that you still want to hunt , not much I would guess? (-:

Just need to find a willow to complete my NA ptarmigan slam ;)

I think for me it's more about method than about species or score. An AK moose float trip with my best friend from growing up, spring bear with skis, some sort of sheep hunt where we need to break out the climbing gear, would love to get a Himalayan snow @#)(# with my corgi before he gets too old to climb the rubies. For whatever reason I really get excited about a hunt when there is some ridiculous logistical hurdle, or if it's really physically difficult.

Just need to find a willow to complete my NA ptarmigan slam ;)

I think for me it's more about method than about species or score. An AK moose float trip with my best friend from growing up, spring bear with skis, some sort of sheep hunt where we need to break out the climbing gear, would love to get a Himalayan snow @#)(# with my corgi before he gets too old to climb the rubies. For whatever reason I really get excited about a hunt when there is some ridiculous logistical hurdle, or if it's really physically difficult.

now THIS is what I am talking about !! Great Hunts, hope you get to do each of them and more .

These type of hunts are exactly what I loved----do you know if your mother was from Arizona and now lives in Spain ? I dont remember having another son that lives in Colorado---but I am old and my memory is not what it once was LOL

now THIS is what I am talking about !! Great Hunts, hope you get to do each of them and more .

These type of hunts are exactly what I loved----do you know if your mother was from Arizona and now lives in Spain ? I dont remember having another son that lives in Colorado---but I am old and my memory is not what it once was LOL
My mom is from Arkansas, raised my sister and I with my dad in Colorado and now lives in Minsk... maybe a cousin :) Certainly another woman who loves adventure at the very least.

EklFever2.....you can catch Jonathon O'dell on several YouTube and FreshTracks episodes with Big Fin and company...this year and last year's episodes.

ElkFever2, thanks for the link to the squirrel hunter.

Remarkable, I would think that the slam's taxi bill at only $1800 is the lowest of any slam.

thanks for the replies guys, appreciated and interesting.

Interesting comments in the conversation part of the forum to find that there is a "slam" in Montana but it is a fishing slam---Rainbow, brown, brook, whitefish, grayling and you have to get them all in the same day--that would be a fun outing--depending on how far apart one would have to travel to accomplish

I know we have a lot of Montana members and was happy to hear that you can hunt 12 big game species in that one state--how cool is that--- has anyone done so ? I think this includes both Grizzly and Wolf and I am glad those two have opened up for you fellows

If you can hunt 12 that is the same as Alaska--if you include Bison and Muskox in Alaska, and the last I heard those are hard tags to come by, but maybe that has also changed. I also thought they started or tried to start an Elk herd in Alaska, but have no idea where that is at this time

Regardless, two great states that allow a ton of hunting---and fishing for those on the East coast thinking about moving west---

I know we have a lot of Montana members and was happy to hear that you can hunt 12 big game species in that one state--how cool is that--- has anyone done so ? I think this includes both Grizzly and Wolf and I am glad those two have opened up for you fellows

We've got 11 huntable species in Montana right now, if we do get a grizzly hunt it will be 12.

Idaho has 11 if you count both of their sheep species, and I think Wyoming has the same 11 that Montana does.

Randy11, thank you for posting the correct information for the fellows. Hopefully the grizzly will be an available hunt in the near future.

Looks like we can add Idaho and Wy to Montana and Alaska as good states to move to, for those wanting to expand their hunting opportunities, within the state they live.

Dirtclod, please clean this up for me, but from memory we can hunt 9 in Arizona---however within that nine are three breeds of deer and three breeds of turkeys.

What some dont realize is that Arizona has excellent Elk and Antelope hunts. The Bison and Sheep hunts are a bit tougher --and in the case of sheep, expensive. The last I heard one could go to Africa for
a plains game hunt for the same price as a sheep hunt in Arizona.

Got a bit off slams here, but there did not seem to be any interest in them anyway (-:

Randy11 or any Montana members---do you guys fish as much a you hunt ?

The Texas grand slam according to TPWD is whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, and desert bighorn. Winning a desert bighorn tag is like winning the lottery, I'll very likely never draw. I've decided to do my own Texas slam minus the bighorn. On mine I put whitetail, mule deer, pronghorn, alligator, javelina, feral hog, and mountain lion. Even though feral hog is not native, they've been here since the Spanish explorers came so I count it. I guess I could throw in aoudad in place of the desert bighorn. The only one I'm missing is a Texas mountain lion, a situation I hope to remedy this year.

I am a Columbia blacktail shy of a deer slam. I never thought about it as a goal and still don't really. I enjoy the planning and hunting in new areas and for different game so it just ended up that way. I have an eye on Northern California in the next couple years for black tail and probably back to Arizona next year to try for a bigger Coues.

The only slam I'm interested in is the Cutthroat slam. Bonneville, Coastal, Greenback, Lahontan, Paiute, Rio Grande, Westslope, Yellowstone, Colorado River.

I only have 4 so far.
That's a great slam when you achieve it.
Cheers
Richard

I achieved a Bob Marshall slam in the South Fork of the Flathead. A mountain whitefish, cutthroat, and bull trout. All from the same run and with the same lure. Probably the same cup of whiskey too, but I don’t recall for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not much of a "slam" person I guess. I like to hunt whatever it is I like to hunt, I guess. In most slams, I guess there tends to be at least one species that I am not interested in hunting for whatever reason.

HOWEVER, I do have it in the back of my mind that when I retire, I just might make a think of Squirrel Slam. I know I have posted this before - my apologies for redundancy. It is not that I feel the need to kill or taste all the species of tree squirrels in North America but it would give me just enough purpose and direction to "waste" an entire month or more wandering around the continent and enjoying really fantastic country.

So, Squirrel Slam! You heard it here, but this is the first guy to record doing it (note that he used a shotgun)
https://www.fieldandstream.com/phot...game/2011/11/becoming?photo=4#node-1001458293

By now, I am sure many have done it, but probably none with a custom .22 low wall, so I can "First" that way.

Europe, I don't know if I would go back to Africa or not. While reasonable price-wise, I would probably rather turn that around into another trip to Alaska. I really want - maybe even need - to hunt the Brooks Range, and perhaps some coastal SE panhandle areas too.

Greyman, best of luck on your lion hunt.

Deer-shooter--best of luck on your black tail and a bigger coues----do they make BIG coues --(-;

JLS--LOL

Brent/Elkfever2--I was never able to get into hunting those little tree rats. I think the last time I shot one was when I was in my teens , which was another lifetime ago. However I wish you guys the best of luck on completing that slam.

Brent. I could not agree more sir. In many way a trip to Alaska is as good or even better than Africa. Although we loved the coast and hunting those coastal bears, our favorite "Alaska" was when we did fly in and drop offs, as well as some of the waterways north/east of Fairbanks. If we got nothing, hunting wise, we still felt the trip was a success. Hope you get up there soon. Brent out of curiosity what would you take ( blackpowder ) for the coastal brown bears and if you went inland for say Caribou what would you carry ( again black powder ) I never hunted with the firearms you use and my hats off to you sir

neffa3--responded to post/ pm

For coastal bears, specifically brown bears? hmm, good question. Probably my Marlin 1895 square bolt rifle. It's darn heavy, but I doubt that would be all that much of an issue. Not sure what I would buy or make if I was to get a new rifle for the job. It does seem like the situation where I would want a "multishooter" as opposed to a traditional singleshot. But if the country was open and the shots relatively long (like 100 yds), then I might take a Sharps .45-100 singleshot. Maybe. Still seems like this is the one time I would want a magazine.

For Caribou, I would probably take something like my 38-72 Winchester 1885. A singleshot of light weight, very easy to carry and "flat shooting" for those "long range" shots (300 yds :) ), or maybe I would just take the trusty old Ballard .45-70 because it is all original and has been hunting with me and who knows who else for close to a century and a half now.

Drop camp for either Moose again or Caribou sits highest on my personal list of hunts to do. A coastal bear hunt would be for black bears and also a drop camp or DIY style of hunt that I prefer. Combining black bears with salmon fishing definitely has my attention.

As for tree rats, if I grilled one for you for dinner, you would change your tune in a hurry and probably have to borrow my rifle and go get a few more. Nothing is better eating. And I really do just love hunting them with a really nice rifle.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back