Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Slams

I personally want a north American 10. But more realistically I just want one of every game animal and fish in my home state. The animals don't have to be big and the fish can be catch and release for myself. The experience of all those in my state is what I want. While it sounds daunting in reality I only need a bighorn, mt goat, cougar, and a bobcat. Grizzly is going to be tough if that hint comes back. As far as fish the only ones I've never caught are a chinook, sockeye, muskie, pike, and walleye. When I think about it it really isn't that unlikely I'll finish before I can't hunt and fish anymore.

I am an Osceola short of the turkey slam. I do have plans for the deer slam (Columbia BT and Coues left). And I'd like to get a grouse and squirrel slam. Though I've not the most avid bird hunter, I'm closer to that than the squirrel. I like lists and the dreams/plans they elicit.

I personally want a north American 10. But more realistically I just want one of every game animal and fish in my home state. The animals don't have to be big and the fish can be catch and release for myself. The experience of all those in my state is what I want. While it sounds daunting in reality I only need a bighorn, mt goat, cougar, and a bobcat. Grizzly is going to be tough if that hint comes back. As far as fish the only ones I've never caught are a chinook, sockeye, muskie, pike, and walleye. When I think about it it really isn't that unlikely I'll finish before I can't hunt and fish anymore.
You could troll a red Brad's Super Bait late summer on the mid Columbia and possibly catch three of the ones you're looking for.

Duck Slam

-What I got (16) - Blue wing teal, cinnamon teal, green wing teal, northern shoveler, northern pintail, widgeon, mallard, gadwall, canvasback, redhead, ringneck, barrows goldeneye, common goldeneye, common merganser, bufflehead, ruddy duck

-What I need (16)- Lessor Scaup, Greater Scaup, American Black Duck, Wood Duck, Mottled Duck, Black Scoter, White Wing Scoter, Surf Scoter, Red Breated Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Common Eider, King Eider, Old Squaw, Black bellied whistling duck, fulvous whistling duck, Harlequin

Half Way there.

Brent 45-70 Ballard, love it! I believe you about squirrels, just never hunted them

Duckabides---now that will be an accomplishment --best of luck

1 pointer, good luck on both the turkey and deer slams. The grouse slam would also be cool. But as I said to Brent, never hunted squirrels, but wish you the best of luck on that one as well

Firedude, I got the North American 10, but in all fairness it was back when it was a bit easier and cheaper to do so. Hope you get there, best of luck.

I got all the Bear and Deer breeds, but only one of the Moose, Caribou, and Elk breeds. But no squirrels ! However I have gotten a few whistle pigs, are they related to squirrels LOL

Duck Slam

-What I got (16) - Blue wing teal, cinnamon teal, green wing teal, northern shoveler, northern pintail, widgeon, mallard, gadwall, canvasback, redhead, ringneck, barrows goldeneye, common goldeneye, common merganser, bufflehead, ruddy duck

-What I need (16)- Lessor Scaup, Greater Scaup, American Black Duck, Wood Duck, Mottled Duck, Black Scoter, White Wing Scoter, Surf Scoter, Red Breated Merganser, Hooded Merganser, Common Eider, King Eider, Old Squaw, Black bellied whistling duck, fulvous whistling duck, Harlequin

Half Way there.

That's pretty cool...I used to hunt ducks and geese a lot and I have the following species, which I hadn't even thought about until I saw your list:

Mallard, shoveler, blue wing teal, cinnamon teal, green winged teal, widgeon, gadwall, redhead (banded one at that), common and barrow goldeneye, bufflehead, ruddy duck, wood duck, Scaup, pintail, old squaw, and harlequin.

The three more I would really like to get are Hooded Merganser, canvasback and a Black duck.

Maybe one of these days I'll have to dust off the 870 and get back into hunting waterfowl...had a lot of fun times doing it.

Europe, Whistle pigs are, indeed, kissin' cousins to the tree squirrels. I've never tried eating one myself, but I hear the younger ones are particularly tasty. They also make good shoelaces and even better wing material for #14 caddis flies.

I'm always sort of surprised how much small game people do not hunt.

Add me to the list of closet fox squirrel enthusiasts. They are delicious and I wish there were more of them in Wyoming.

I enjoyed barbary sheep hunting and would like to do a couple Alaska hunts some day, but otherwise I'd be thrilled to die with big shoe boxes full of turkey beards and a healthy stack of elk and mule deer skulls.

Add me to the list of closet fox squirrel enthusiasts. They are delicious and I wish there were more of them in Wyoming.

I enjoyed barbary sheep hunting and would like to do a couple Alaska hunts some day, but otherwise I'd be thrilled to die with big shoe boxes full of turkey beards and a healthy stack of elk and mule deer skulls.

That would work for sure and hope it works out exactly as you plan it sir

Brent. You are so right. I use to hunt rabbits and squirrels a lot when young and ate them as well--I dont know why I got away from it, you make a good point.

Also hunts that some never do are the "hunts with hounds" When I was physically able to do so, I really enjoyed mountain lion, Bobcat, Lynx, and even Raccoon hunts with hounds.

Brent if you hunt the coastal Brown Bear, do you think Ben Lamb might let you borrow that black powder double of his ? lol---or you could buy one just like it. I would like to own and hunt with your Ballard. Nice one to have Brent.

Buzzh Thats a huge list of ducks, congratulations and good luck on the three your still chasing

Dirtclod----jackalopes --maybe LOL Everything you mentioned plus turkey, mtn lion, bear, antelope and can you still chase bobcats ? Dont tell anyone but Arizona is not a bad state to live in if you enjoy hunting (-:.

Thanks guys, have enjoyed reading what you have gotten and what your still chasing----even you squirrel guys LOL

I'd love to borrow Ben's double but he would be crazy to let go of it for even a few minutes. For sure, a coastal brown bear gun is an interesting thing to ponder. I had an 18 bore Joseph Lang percussion double, but I don't think it was really big-bear material. Something in .450 #2 maybe. I don't know, I'd have to think about matching the rifle to the hunt and an English double that is perfect for the plains of Africa would seem really out of place in Alaska. Maybe my mind just works in strange ways. That Marlin 95 would be more appropriate I think. Your favorite 71 Winchester would be right on the money for an appropriate smokeless rifle. For better or worse, this is likely a problem I will never have to solve.

Meanwhile the crusty, rusty, but trusty Ballard keeps acquiring animals and patina.

A bigger problem is that I have a little cash burning a hole in my pocket. What to do with it? I need to start considering that carefully before I spend it on something frivolous like a 19th century English double 20 bore. There is, after all, only 199 Days until Pheasant season opens. But who is counting?

Greyman,
I've seen those many times on the coastal plains of Georgia and South Carolina and on Bull Island South Carolina where they are even bigger and coal black. Never shot one though. My SE squirreling was always greys in the Piedmont forests. I missed out for certain. Abert's in Arizona are nearly as big.

MadTom, ElkFever2 and BrentD,
You may have seen this link, I posted it on another thread. If you haven't, it's about the big game of small game! Fox squirrels that stand 2 feet high! Ya'll might have to go out to North Carolina to add one to your slam!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article222294420.html
I-Want-one-of-these--meme-4456.jpg

Europe ...Bobcats and Coyotes year round open season.Mtn. Lion also with OTC>:cool:

That's pretty cool...I used to hunt ducks and geese a lot and I have the following species, which I hadn't even thought about until I saw your list:

Mallard, shoveler, blue wing teal, cinnamon teal, green winged teal, widgeon, gadwall, redhead (banded one at that), common and barrow goldeneye, bufflehead, ruddy duck, wood duck, Scaup, pintail, old squaw, and harlequin.

The three more I would really like to get are Hooded Merganser, canvasback and a Black duck.

Maybe one of these days I'll have to dust off the 870 and get back into hunting waterfowl...had a lot of fun times doing it.

We do get quite a few canvasbacks on this side of the state, but I imagine there are a few on your side as well. They have a short window in Wyoming. Other than the local ones that frequent some of the lakes for breeding, there are some that mirgrate through. They all seem to leave around the middle of November when the lakes start to freeze.

I have also seen a couple wayward surf scoters and red breasted merganers in the area.

It is kind of fun to get out with the spotting scope and binos to try and locate species to target on the lakes.

I can't help my collective nature, but the $$$ to hunt some things these days is crazy. That really puts the hurt on pursuing "slams".

Back