Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sitting a carcass legal?

Hey guys, I'm searching the regs and internet looking for an answer here. I'm currently hunting in Montana and found a fresh elk carcass. I've seen wolf sign in the area and I am thinking I might be able to shoot a wolf off the carcass. Is that legal in Montana?!!!

In September I almost shot a wolf over a calf elk carcass. I snuck in close and then had a big chocolate bear scare it off, I then proceeded to miss the bear with the 44 mag at 15 yards. Didn't have a rifle with us.

Had I had more time that week I would have went right back up and sat the carcass, as boring as that is.

When I asked a game warden if I could hunt a dead cow on a farmer's land I was told it's legal as long as you hunt it where it lay. If you move it then it is considered baiting. Same thing for gut piles and elk carcasses.

When I asked a game warden if I could hunt a dead cow on a farmer's land I was told it's legal as long as you hunt it where it lay. If you move it then it is considered baiting. Same thing for gut piles and elk carcasses.

Ditto for Idaho. And I'll add that you can't modify the carcass in any way i.e. salt or other attractants.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back