Sitka Vs Kuiu

freu1chr

I am looking for cold weather hunting clothes for a late November Hunt. I am wondering what you guys think will be a better option for cold weather. I am from Minnesota and most people swear by Sitka, but i have heard Kuiu is better for moiuntian hunting. I am looking for your guys opinions before purchasing anything. Thanks in advance.

Going to Idaho with a friend for a late season controlled elk hunt(he lives out there). We are going to hunt the eastern part of the state. And next year hopefully a mule deer hunt in the southwest part of Montana in the Custer national forest. I’m just trying to get an all around good late season set up for if it is really cold to moderately cold. I am new to western hunting i have never done anything like it. I have only whitetail hunted from a tree in thick timber. So everything about this is new to me and im trying to learn as best i can i know that explanation wont help much but its about all i have to go on.

Ford vs Chevy, it's all about layering when you're talking about hunting in the colder weather I personally like my Sitka gear but know plenty of guys who like kuiu. If you can go try some of the Sitka on and see how it fits/feels to you kuiu doesn't have any dealers if I remember correctly so you're kind of SOL there. If you do go the Sitka gear route I really recommend the mountain pants, I've worn them in early August archery hunting and in late December on depredation hunts they are tough as nails.

I'd go with which ever one you can find used or a good price on. Their both good. Check here, rokslide, ebay, and a group of used sitka gear sealers on facebook. Another place I use is camofire. It won't take long to get a full system affordably if your looking. My system is a mix matched set but it works for me and I don't think my prey cares either

The Timberline pants and jetstream jacket are great. I bought the black jetstream vest and wear it alot around town

Layering is the key, I have most of KUIU's clothing. That being said KUIU tends to run a size small. KUIU's all everything first purchase is the DCS GUIDE jacket.

I like First Lite base layers, underwear, hat, etc, but also really like Sitka mid layers. It's all good stuff, just depends on what fits for you. I also like mixing and matching camo. I can't stand digging through my pack in the dark looking for something and everything the same camo pattern!

I have some Carhartt stuff. Seems like similar fabrics, works well just not the cool name. mtmuley

I wear my Marmot backcountry ski clothes
November in eastern Idaho (west side of the Tetons?) - midweight or lightweight merino base layers, lightweight soft shell pants and jacket, lightweight fleece midlayer, primaloft or down jacket, midweight gloves and warm mittens. warm hat and ball cap

Last edited:
I have clothing from both brands. For cold weather, it is hard to beat a pair of Kuiu Guide pants and a Sitka Jetstream jacket. YMMV.

Both are fine. Bambistew fan girls hard for Jason and anything he makes but I think both brands are comparable quality wise.
I don’t think kuiu makes anything that compares to the Timberline pant though.

Kuiu is good, but I think Sitka is better! That being said, I buy First Lite at 40% off so that’s what i wear...awesome stuff too!

I like my jet stream jacket. The fit is perfect. But my kuiu guide jacket is proving to be more durable.

I just bought the new Kuiu Talus pant, hopefully if compares well with the timberline pant. I like the thigh zippers in my attack pants and that is why I went with the talus.

Notwithstanding Bambi’s brand priapism I prefer KUIU. Both brands sausage skin me...thus First Lite.

Each company seems to have their strengths and standout pieces. I think you would build a better system by acquiring pieces from all numerous companies than picking one company. Either the guide pants or the timberline pants would be great for late season. The jetstream jacket is the best softshell on the market in my opinion, at this point I haven't found a company that can hold a candle to arc'teryx for rain gear, Rab makes phenomenal down layers, Patagonia fleece jackets are amazing, I think First Lite has by far the best base layer/ early season wool clothing.

Back