Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sitka subalpine

Lrhxr9

I have recently purchased a couple of subalpine pieces from sitka for an upcoming early season elk hunt in colorado. I would prefer to stick with the same camo although I primarily hunt deer in missouri and illinois. I was wondering about thoughts on the elevated II vs the subalpine and what pieces are essential. The deer hunting is alot of treestand sitting as well. But it would be nice to have a few pieces that would work out west where the physical input is higher.

Personally I don’t think pattern matters, in my experience the difference between the elevated and subalpine is more about the activity levels.

For archery I’d go with a merino base layer, light weight hoody, and ascent pants. If you are backpacking I’d add a hoody + rain gear.

I have the jetstream softshell as well, I love it for scouting, base camp hunting, and I plan on using it a lot back east. It doesn’t come on backpack hunts as it’s too heavy.

Last edited:
Yeah the couple times ive been to montana the guys i hunted with wore insulated carhartt pants in od green. They have always been on the list for colder weather out west for sure. I like the fit and feel of most of the sitka i have tried but it definitely feels like you dont want to bust brush with it. Unless i have just been around the wrong pieces.

I like the fit and feel of most of the sitka i have tried but it definitely feels like you dont want to bust brush with it. Unless i have just been around the wrong pieces.
I’ve been wearing some of the same Sitka pieces for 12 years now. 10 years on my Mountain Pants and 5 on my Ascent Pants. I wouldn’t worry about durability, nor would I worry about pattern

The Sitka stuff I have is more durable than any other technical clothing I’ve used, I’ve beat the crap out of mine and it’s no worse for wear. I don’t think the pattern matters at all, I’ve been 5 yards from elk in archery season wearing tan Sitka mountain pants and a green first lite T shirt.

First, find the technical clothing that performs best for your application. In the technical clothing world we have available today, whether hunting, skiing, mountain climbing, etc. there are few items that would be "one piece that works best for all conditions/activity levels." Once you select the pieces that perform the best, then worry about patterns you like most, even if it is a solid.

I have some optifade open country more cold weather Sitka gear and then a lot of sub alpine early to mid season gear. I will most likely end up switching completely to sub alpine as I like everything to match.

I have always used under armor but the weight to insulation and breathability factors have always been off. Plus a few lbs gained. But whos counting.... besides the wife. The sitka seems like a way better product completely. I have been researching some base layers from all manufacturers. Does anyone have a preference on uninsulated lace up boots as well? And is there a colder weather pant that people like? I would prefer a pair of bibs for cold weather sitting. But like others have stated find something that works first. Worry about pattern/color later.

I have always used under armor but the weight to insulation and breathability factors have always been off. Plus a few lbs gained. But whos counting.... besides the wife. The sitka seems like a way better product completely. I have been researching some base layers from all manufacturers. Does anyone have a preference on uninsulated lace up boots as well? And is there a colder weather pant that people like? I would prefer a pair of bibs for cold weather sitting. But like others have stated find something that works first. Worry about pattern/color later.
I prefer uninsulated boots for spot and stalk. I like schnees cause they fit my feet but there are lots of great options, heard great things about kenetreks.

For cold weather spot and stalk hunting the Sitka timberline are a great pant. If you are sitting I get something heavily insulated.

You will get a lot of pushback from guys teasing you about your camo while telling stories about Fred Bear killing animals in flannel and blue jeans. That being said, I really like the subalpine. I hunt mostly in the Midwest and am very impressed with how well the SA breaks up in the early season deer woods. I also really like it for spring turkeys.

When I hunt the west I think it looks better in the earlier seasons (ML and archery) and when I hunt later season I am wearing a giant hunter orange vest and hat so I'm not concerned with what my camo looks like.

Layers are more important than anything. I am a big believer of merino wool base layers and taking it from there. Make sure you have at least one windproof layer, one insulating layer, and a rain layer all that can be shed or added throughout the hunt. Any of the "technical" fabric companies make impressive products. The ability to stay dry while moving and warm without excessive bulk is worth the money to me.

That being said, one way to save money or double gear is look at technical skiing clothing, particularly if it can be used where camo isn't needed. It is no secret that the outdoor sports/ski industry leads the way on technical fabric development. The new latest and greatest Sitka product has probably been used by skiers for five years. I shop the Outdoor Research clearance tab a lot and have some of my best gear from there. In my opinion, their gaiters are better than the Sitka gaiters, come in more sizes, and I got them for $30 on clearance. I also have OR gloves, base layers, and lightweight packable puffy coat that outperforms my camo gear and I got them for cheap.

That being said, one way to save money or double gear is look at technical skiing clothing, particularly if it can be used where camo isn't needed. It is no secret that the outdoor sports/ski industry leads the way on technical fabric development. The new latest and greatest Sitka product has probably been used by skiers for five years.

FL fusion is the preferred choice of Olympic gold medalists...

1589228630689.png

A lot of alpine ski gear has a different use case. You find fabrics with a 10,000/10,000 waterproof/breath-ability rating. Mountaineering companies are probably better comparisons, and they do tend to have more sizes as they have a larger market. That being said, for a lot of different pieces of clothing Sitka/FL/and Kuiu are on the cutting edge.

I usually wear my sitka waterfowl hoodie for ALL cooler-weather hunts/fishing! Don't worry about the pattern so much as the function! I would use whatever helps you hunt harder and longer. You will figure out what's best for you.

I have the same concerns. I am thinking of Subalpine because I can hunt spring turkeys with the same camo. I don't think elk/deer have a preference for what camo you are wearing, so long as it breaks the outline.

I tried to match my camo patterns for archery and gun hunting. Now I just purchase the clothing based on each individual hunt… my accountant(wife) pays super close attention to the hunting budget😁 so I do have a mix mash of camo and solid colors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back